No one seems to like cardio anymore...

Options

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I get my heart rate up enough with weights, and I hate cardio.
    I do it once in a while and normally it's a quick 15 mins HIIT and not more than that lol

I enjoy Yoga and weights, and that's what I do
    Cardio for me is unecessary :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My husband runs marathons. He has never been overweight. He has never gone for a run because he "felt like he should", or to lose weight. He goes because he loves running. He has never gone into a gym and lifted weights. He has a lean, strong body with all his muscles toned and visible, 6 pack abs and all. He says if only people knew how good it felt to be able to get outside and run and run. I really envy him. I would love to get to that psychological stage with my running. (First, I have to get out the door more often).

Anyway, I think his example shows that for some people, pure cardio can be completely adequate to produce a fit, strong, lean body.

So.....what you're saying is he has a low BF%?
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do both. I think strength training is more fun, but I disagree with those who insist that cardio is pointless or even detrimental. Doing cardio absolutely has helped me with my weight loss.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    These things go in phases. For a long time, lifting weights was considered a low-end exercise for knuckle draggers. Now it's hot, hot, hot! The pendulum will swing back the other way soon enough, and all the CrossFit ads will be replaced by a solo jogger in Nike runners in some beautiful setting with a voiceover saying something about getting "Back to Basics".

The reality is a well-tuned physique requires a combination of strength (from resistance training) and a strong cardiovascular system (from lots of cardio), and that's not going to change for a long long time.

This made me chuckle. I remember when I would tell people that I lift to stay in shape, they would say lifting is not going to get you in shape only running (cardio) will. Now it seems to be the exact opposite.

Honestly, I don't get why people actually argue about this. I guess it's silly to me beacuse I love both and weight loss and fat loss are not my only goals in life! I use all forms of exercise to improve my cardivascular health, mental health, athletic ability, and yes, physique.

Also, more exercise = more beer.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do a split of cardio and lifting during the week. I find I have to force myself with the cardio some days while when it comes to lifting I always look forward to my next workout . I have a family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes so the cardio is more for my overall health than it is for my weight loss.
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    I hate both but I do both becasue I believe it is important for your health. One thing that I have noticed is that every time I stop running my blood pressure goes to the roof. It only take me a week of running to lower it to normal levels so I guess is something that I would have to do for the rest of my life or untill my joints can stand it.

I think, and this is my humble opinion of course, all in life needs balance. Somebody mention you need to be able to lift things by yourself but you also need to be able to sprint to catch a bus or a ball being able to keep breathing if you know what I mean.

If you look how athletes train, they incorporate both systems. No matter what sport you are talking about they have strengh and cardio routines. Even long distance runners or Tri-athletes have strengh training.

Like I said, I'd rather been zipping a good single malt than running or lifting s..t like crazy, but man if you wanna try living longer and healthier you gotta workout. So I do both :)

Cheers
    Edited to correct misspellings
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    An observation from this thread and others like it: people who are pro lifting (particularly heavy lifting) tend to be roughly 847 times more knowledgeable about diet and fitness than people who say things like "I just don't feel a sense of accomplishment from lifting."

This all depends on your goals. Running is fine if you enjoy running. If you like the high that comes from finishing a race or improving your mile time or whatever, then by all means, go for it. If you think it is necessary for weight loss, you are wrong. If you think it is superior to heavy lifting for fat loss (assuming an accompanying calorie deficit), you are wrong. To lose FAT and to retain your lean mass (which is what you want if "toning" is your goal), a calorie deficit, adequate protein intake, and a progressive resistance training program are your best bet.

Low-intensity, steady-state cardio can be good for recovery and/or for giving you more calories to eat. However, higher intensity cardio is very hard on your central nervous system and will make progressive lifting more difficult. Doing it a couple times per week? Fine, if your other recovery practices are in check (sleeping, eating, joint mobility, soft tissue work, etc.). Doing it 5 or 6 times a week? You won't be lifting heavy, and you won't be lifting for long. That's going to mean that a lot of whatever weight you lose will be muscle, and that's going to mean that you just look like a smaller version of what you are now. Not leaner, just smaller. So, decide on your priorities (fat loss, weight loss, race training, etc.), and base your training on that. It's not as simple as "just do what you like." Not if you have physique goals.

That's all I have to say.

Hey Casey,
    This is where I sort of struggle because I'm pretty happy with my physique now and just want to focus on my abs. I know that you can't spot reduce so I'm sticking to the workouts I enjoy like the running and weights. I've often heard physical trainers say that if you want those abs to show you have to do cardio, hence my question regarding cardio for shedding body fat. Now I'm hearing too much cardio or long distance running and I'm burning off all my muscle. It's just a little frustrating and confusing the closer you get to achieving some of your fitness goals sifting through all the conflicting fitness advice.

I've always wanted to be able to run long distances and now that I can do it... I can't stop. I enjoy it too much! I really enjoy weightlifting too so I'll continue to do both. If I'm getting enough protein, rest, maintaining a good calorie deficit, AND maintaining a good balance with both cardio/strength training, then I'm heading in the right direction to get those dream abs right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is just me but I thought you needed to do some cardio to lose body fat. I know it can be boring at times but isn't it necessary to do in order to get leaner and lower your body fat? It's not that I'm a big fan or anything although I do love to run but I also lift weights too. It just seems that cardio isn't fun anymore.

Thoughts?

Leaning out (losing BF) is all diet. Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. I do both cardio and weight training...both are essential to overall fitness IMHO. Both increase my Total Daily Energy Expenditure which allows me to eat more in general regardless if I'm trying to lose, maintain, or gain.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    Perhaps it is just me but I thought you needed to do some cardio to lose body fat. I know it can be boring at times but isn't it necessary to do in order to get leaner and lower your body fat? It's not that I'm a big fan or anything although I do love to run but I also lift weights too. It just seems that cardio isn't fun anymore.

Thoughts?

Leaning out (losing BF) is all diet. Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. I do both cardio and weight training...both are essential to overall fitness IMHO. Both increase my Total Daily Energy Expenditure which allows me to eat more in general regardless if I'm trying to lose, maintain, or gain.

Well said :wink:
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I have friends who do crossfit and they definitely look down on me because I do mostly cardio. I don't care. I love it and I feel great. I hate strength training! I only do it because I want to lose weight. And I've lost over 60 pounds, so it must work. ;-)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hey Casey,
    This is where I sort of struggle because I'm pretty happy with my physique now and just want to focus on my abs. I know that you can't spot reduce so I'm sticking to the workouts I enjoy like the running and weights. I've often heard physical trainers say that if you want those abs to show you have to do cardio, hence my question regarding cardio for shedding body fat. Now I'm hearing too much cardio or long distance running and I'm burning off all my muscle. It's just a little frustrating and confusing the closer you get to achieving some of your fitness goals sifting through all the conflicting fitness advice.

I've always wanted to be able to run long distances and now that I can do it... I can't stop. I enjoy it too much! I really enjoy weightlifting too so I'll continue to do both. If I'm getting enough protein, rest, maintaining a good calorie deficit, AND maintaining a good balance with both cardio/strength training, then I'm heading in the right direction to get those dream abs right?

Visable abs are just a result of low body fat. MANY people on here, and elsewhere, that have great abs that do little to no "cardio". The PT's you are hearing are just wrong.

Too much cardio or long distance running can cause loss of LBM but that will depend on a lot of factors. Calorie intake, protien intake, resistance training, and how much and how long you train.

If long distance running is something you enjoy then it shouldnt really matter to you. Just do some resistance training and get enough protein.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nope, that's not cardio.

cardio is for cardiovascular health and burning energy.

with cardio, the majority of your burn only happens while you're doing it. once you stop cardioing, you stop that calorie burn too, pretty much completely.

with workouts like weight lifting, you have a lower burn but it lasts allllllllllllllllllllll dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and burns fuel from lots of different places.

you know what else people dont like anymore?

those machines that vibrate the fat off of you
    diet products that cause anal leakage
    ben stiller

good riddance to all of it.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

my pm said to me that weight loss is 70% diet control, 30% exercise. That prompted me to join this website. I don't exercise to lose weight, thats what maintaining a calorie deficit is for. I exercise for good health. And its going pretty well so far :)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    Hey Casey,

Visable abs are just a result of low body fat. MANY people on here, and elsewhere, that have great abs that do little to no "cardio". The PT's you are hearing are just wrong.

Too much cardio or long distance running can cause loss of LBM but that will depend on a lot of factors. Calorie intake, protien intake, resistance training, and how much and how long you train.

If long distance running is something you enjoy then it shouldnt really matter to you. Just do some resistance training and get enough protein.

Thanks for the advice!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    Options
    nope, that's not cardio.

with cardio, the majority of your burn only happens while you're doing it. once you stop cardioing, you stop that calorie burn too, pretty much completely.

with workouts like weight lifting, you have a lower burn but it lasts allllllllllllllllllllll dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and burns fuel from lots of different places.

ben stiller

I've heard that about weight lifting and I have to admit that once I began to lift heavier, it helped me to bust through a plateau some months back.

Thanks for your explanation!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Strength training is beneficial and I think people shouldn't be afraid of it, but cardio is great for your overall health, Your cardiovascular health should be just as much a priority as the number on the scale. What is the point of having physique goals and not having overall health goals. Some very cut people still have heart attacks, still end up on high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds.

I've improved my heart health, blood pressure, cholesterol levels and cardiovascular health doing heavy lifting. It's not like you don't get your heart rate up doing it.

Good for you that you have seen these kind of results. But in the case of my husband, lifting heavy was not enough and he is now on blood pressure and cholesterol meds and told to increase his cardio by his doctors. He still doesn't do a lot of it, but now sees the benefits. Obviously so many factors come into play when talking about your overall health and fitness, diet, exercise, genetics. Some people can do nothing or everything with no negative impact on their health, while others will find that that a balance diet and exercise regimen is their key to avoid or minimize health risks.

You keep bringing up your husband but that doesn't prove that weight lifting doesn't improve endurance or cardio. That was one case. Bernie Mac died doing cardio as have many other people (both fit and no so fit).

It's preferable to do both for various reasons and doing one, the other, or both isn't a guaranteed pass that you won't have blood pressure, cholesterol issues, etc. Sometimes family health issues will stick regardless.

Also, note the doctor said to increase cardio, not replace lifting/resistance training with it.

And most people who get advised to do weight training are given more options than just barbell exercises and most are asking about it for aesthetic reasons. Sprinting has been offered up in almost every thread asking about resistance training as an option to those that prefer to run. But heavier weights tends to give you the most bang for your buck/time - so to speak aesthetically.
  • yoovie
    Options
    My husband runs marathons. He has never been overweight. He has never gone for a run because he "felt like he should", or to lose weight. He goes because he loves running. He has never gone into a gym and lifted weights. He has a lean, strong body with all his muscles toned and visible, 6 pack abs and all. He says if only people knew how good it felt to be able to get outside and run and run. I really envy him. I would love to get to that psychological stage with my running. (First, I have to get out the door more often).

Anyway, I think his example shows that for some people, pure cardio can be completely adequate to produce a fit, strong, lean body.

but he didnt produce one - you said he was never overweight. this is obviously genetics plus personal preference.
  • yoovie
    Options
    nope, that's not cardio.

ben stiller

I've heard that about weight lifting and I have to admit that once I began to lift heavier, it helped me to bust through a plateau some months back.

Thanks for your explanation!

ANYTIME!!! I killlllllllllllled myself running (up to FOUR half marathons in 1 MONTH) and hit a plateau that lasted over a year and then the weight started creeping back on - i had to seriously scale back my cardio and balance it out with enough weight training that I didnt lose everything Id worked so hard for!!! I want my pretty muscles under my skin! :bigsmile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not something anyone should really be told they should do in a gym.

People should however be encouraged to find some activity they enjoy and do it regularly.
  • tallmansix
    Options
    I still like cardio even though I have recently discovered the benefits of weights and strength training.

I think both together compliment each other. I like to eat lots of food and cardio is the quickest way of giving myself some extra calories to eat, good as a warm up for weights. I don't like being on the same machine for a long time at the gym, 20 mins on the rower is the max.

Weights are having good results with my strength and muscle size and I find them more fun because of the variety.