No one seems to like cardio anymore...

Options

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Just like my menus, my exercise plan is very varied.

2x weekly 30min Treadmill or Arc Trainer
    2-3x weekly 30-60min Running outside - flat, hills, intervalls
    1xweekly 30-45min swimming,
    2xweekly 45min strength with and without maschines,
    4x weekly horsebackriding
    as I wish - walking.

I mix and match, depending on what I feel like doing and what the weather is like.

Variety is the spice of my exercise life :wink:
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite..I love cardio, hate the lifting. I suffer from high blood pressure and cardio seems heathiest for me. Weight lifting is good, but I think people forget the heart is such an important organ to work!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    But heavier weights tends to give you the most bang for your buck/time - so to speak aesthetically.

this is the crux I think. It's the MOST bang for your buck- there are lots of easy cut and paste program so no more " I don't know what to do" for an excuse.

It's just an easy solution that fits MANY complaints/issues/goals. And that's the beauty of lifting.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite..I love cardio, hate the lifting. I suffer from high blood pressure and cardio seems heathiest for me. Weight lifting is good, but I think people forget the heart is such an important organ to work!

Because weightlifting does nothing for your heart. :noway:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

also - lots of people who are in lifting programs already have an amazing bill of health when it comes to their hearts so the cardio that they get from weight lifting (because yes, people tend to decide in advance that weight lifting does NOT have cardio benefits - dont ask me why - my heart rate goes nuts and i am out of breath at the end - geez) and their warm ups and cool downs is sufficient.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    with workouts like weight lifting, you have a lower burn but it lasts allllllllllllllllllllll dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and burns fuel from lots of different places.

Lots of studies have now demonstrated that doesn't actually happen, so it's time to put that theory in the BroScience bin.
  • yoovie
    Options

gah you beat me to it!
  • yoovie
    Options
    Cardio is not something anyone should really be told they should do in a gym.

People should however be encouraged to find some activity they enjoy and do it regularly.

except crossfit

lollergasm

THAT WILL KILL YOU DEAD OMG THIS ONE FRIEND OF MINE.... smh
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    with workouts like weight lifting, you have a lower burn but it lasts allllllllllllllllllllll dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and burns fuel from lots of different places.

Lots of studies have now demonstrated that doesn't actually happen, so it's time to put that theory in the BroScience bin.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't like cardio. I've tried lots of different things and by god I hate them all, so I don't do them. I have no interest in running, sports, dancing, hiking (unless dragged out by husband) cycling/spinning, or any of the handful of other things I try. They're all pretty awful.

I'm pretty content with the elevated heart rate that I get from heavy lifting and so 'cardio' holds no allure for me.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Strength training is beneficial and I think people shouldn't be afraid of it, but cardio is great for your overall health, Your cardiovascular health should be just as much a priority as the number on the scale. What is the point of having physique goals and not having overall health goals. Some very cut people still have heart attacks, still end up on high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds.

I've improved my heart health, blood pressure, cholesterol levels and cardiovascular health doing heavy lifting. It's not like you don't get your heart rate up doing it.

Good for you that you have seen these kind of results. But in the case of my husband, lifting heavy was not enough and he is now on blood pressure and cholesterol meds and told to increase his cardio by his doctors. He still doesn't do a lot of it, but now sees the benefits. Obviously so many factors come into play when talking about your overall health and fitness, diet, exercise, genetics. Some people can do nothing or everything with no negative impact on their health, while others will find that that a balance diet and exercise regimen is their key to avoid or minimize health risks.

You keep bringing up your husband but that doesn't prove that weight lifting doesn't improve endurance or cardio. That was one case. Bernie Mac died doing cardio as have many other people (both fit and no so fit).

It's preferable to do both for various reasons and doing one, the other, or both isn't a guaranteed pass that you won't have blood pressure, cholesterol issues, etc. Sometimes family health issues will stick regardless.

Also, note the doctor said to increase cardio, not replace lifting/resistance training with it.

And most people who get advised to do weight training are given more options than just barbell exercises and most are asking about it for aesthetic reasons. Sprinting has been offered up in almost every thread asking about resistance training as an option to those that prefer to run. But heavier weights tends to give you the most bang for your buck/time - so to speak aesthetically.

I have said in every post that it is best to do both. They complement each other. But still there is no guarantee that you can out run or pump genetics. . But I'm sure many here with family history of high blood pressure or heart disease are going to try their best to avoid that fate, whether successful or not. Also having a family history doesn't guarantee that you will have those same issues. Both of my parents have high blood pressure, my mom has diabetes and heart disease and had showed symptoms well before she was my age, while I have no signs of this yet because of my lifestyle. I gave my husband as an example. Yes weight training does provide cardiovascular benefits, but it is not a replacement of cardio. The American Heart Association published studies on this and their consensus was to do both if you are able to maximize cardiovascular health. So those who say they have seen benefits from strength training alone, great, but would you see more benefits to your overall health if you incorporated both weight training and cardio in your routine, absolutely.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I like playing sports mostly...

Funny enough the only traditional form of Cardio i enjoy is running on a treadmill while watching TV
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

gah you beat me to it!

Right! I do a GVT type strength/resistance training routine and if that isn't working my cardiovascular system, then nothing will..lol.

(To note, I still include cardio in my weekly routines but my strength training kicks my butt way more and has helped my endurance more than cardio has in my opinion)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1091565-lifting-and-running

Here's a link to an article you might find interesting, OP, and for any runners out there :smile:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mqgfghpUfT1qz4rgp.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Some people love it and some hate it. The problem comes when someone believes they HAVE to do something. The truth is that to lose weight you only have to eat less than you burn. Thats it. You can just eat less or be more active or a combination of the two.

Then someone will chime in with why would you tell them not to do cardio it is sooooo good for you. I never said NOT to. I said it was not necessary to lose weight.

Then I will point out that "weight" loss is not the same as "fat" loss. If you want to lose mostly fat then you might want to start some form of resistance training (weightlifting is one form not the only form). Many studies show that calorie deficit combined with resistance training spares muscle loss while dieting or dieting with only cardio does not.

Then someone will chime in with..."Yes but you have to do cardio for heart health."

I will politely point out there is evidence that resistance training has great cardiovascular benefits as well. At this point someone mistakes this for a weightlifting VS cardio statement or that I implied weightlifting was just as good for improving heart health or that it is all you would need to run a race.

*facepalm*

I love, love, love, love, love running. I just completed my first half marathon.

However, this quote sums up just about everything that needs to be said on this thread. Let me reduce this further:

To get fit:
    - Eat moderately to lose weight
    - Be active to be healthy
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I do both. I love to run and I love to lift.

I think it's a matter of preference but you're right. It seems that the majority of answers to any fitness question on the board is "Why are you doing cardio? You don't need it! Just lift!" Or "Well, if you want to eat more then sure, do cardio but you don't need it." Sure they can site all these "studies" that they found on the internet but the truth is that both are good for you and if you prefer to do cardio over weights then do it. The important thing is that one does what they will stick to.

Unless someone knows your specific goals and is helping you achieve them then they can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think most people have a balanced fitness regimen and do both. Perhaps it only seems as though nobody likes cardio anymore because lifting definitely gets pushed...largely because many people neglect that element of their fitness and do insane amounts of cardio and are really missing the boat.

Cardio is awesome for your cardiovascular health and building overall endurance and stamina...it also allows you to eat more than you otherwise could. Weight lifting is awesome for building strength and building/maintaining muscle mass which increases your overall ability to burn calories at rest by maintaining a higher metabolism....one of the reasons men can generally consume more calories than women is because they have more muscle mass and thus higher metabolisms. Weight training also does far more for your body composition that dieting and cardio could ever do alone...I will illustrate...

DSC00663.JPG

^^^Here's me in March of 2012...after a good 10 year "bulk" I was a whopping 215 - 220 depending on the day

DSC02328.jpg

^^^^I lost a little weight on my own over the summer and fall of 2012

DSC02436.jpg

^^^I found MFP and dropped to around 190, largely with diet...I did mostly cardio for exercise in order to be able to gross more calories and still lose weight. This pic was taken in January 2013 right as I picked up weight training in ADDITION to my cardio regimen.

DSC02617.JPG

^^^March/April 2013 @ 183 Lbs...still cutting and lifting 3x weekly full body and cardio 3x weekly...mostly running. I ultimately cut to around 180 Lbs and went to maintenance.

20131124_151450.jpg

^^^ @ 186 just last week. I maintained for the summer and into the fall and continued to work on body re-comp...in an effort to break through some lifting plateaus I upped calories just a bit over what I was eating to maintain...I've been gaining about 1 Lb per month since September...I still do cardio, but I substantially reduced it due to wanting to break through a couple lifting plateaus.

Pretty much 1.75 years worth of work right there...personally, I find the difference between my 190 cardio only picture and my most recent 186 picture pretty awesome given a mere 4 Lb difference. I'm a true believer in the power of the olympic bar and a proper weight training regimen that is balanced with proper nutrition and cardiovascular/endurance work.

I'm also posting this to illustrate that this stuff doesn't happen overnight...as I noted earlier, this is almost two years worth of work...so don't get too discouraged when you've been at it for a couple weeks and "nothing is happening." This is a slow process and takes a lot of time and dedication.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is just me but I thought you needed to do some cardio to lose body fat. I know it can be boring at times but isn't it necessary to do in order to get leaner and lower your body fat? It's not that I'm a big fan or anything although I do love to run but I also lift weights too. It just seems that cardio isn't fun anymore.

Thoughts?

Lots of people love cardio, all depends where you look.

The trick with cardio is to do whatever cardio exercise you enjoy. If you try to do something that seems a chore, you will never keep that up.

If you love to run, then do running as your cardio.