What contributed to your weight loss?

Options
pinkakira1
pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
Hi all. I am trying to really pull things together. I see all these wonderful stories and I wanted to ask what was a major contributing factor to your weight loss?

I noticed people who had 30+ pounds lost drank tons of water like 10 cups plus. What other small things have you changed that you feel really contributed to your loss?

Replies

• trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    drinking tons of water, lemon wedges in it most of the time! And Eating! I can actually feel what my body is saying now, even when im not hungry I snack on almonds or starwberrys, just something in between meals and I really think that's helping me, I have more energy and it takes less motivation when I fuel myself its like my body wants to work out!
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    water is good but mostly determination to stick to my calorie goals. thats what helped most. i didnt want to stay stagnant anymore.
  • MADIABEL
    MADIABEL Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water, watch my carbs and make sure to stay around my calorie intake for the day not to go above or below it too much has really helped. Make sure to just get out there and move for your exercise.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water, cutting out most processed foods and snacks, being more conscious about my portions (bought a food scale last week, one of the best purchases I've made in a while) basically tracking it ALL DOWN. It is a labor of love.
  • mzione904
    mzione904 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Personally it was finding exercises that I actually enjoyed (i.e. thank God for the C25K app) and modifying the Atkins diet. I also booked myself a celebration trip to Jamaica even though i had not lost one pound yet. The vision of wearing a bikini for the first time in my life really kept me motivated even on the difficult days. Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body , , , it tells me when I am eating junk.

It's nice when people look in my cart at the grocery store and comment "you cook," my cabinets are pretty bare since most of my good are fresh or frozen. I also use a food scale . . . I take pictures of some servings so I can train myself how to visualize what really is a serving size.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much water at all. Snack often, follow MFP guidelines to the best of your ability and move your butt. It has worked well for me. :wink:
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Taking one day at a time was the big changer for me.

In the past, whenever I had a f-ed up eating day, I would just give up for the rest of the week and then for the rest of the month.
    Now I take it a day or even hour at a time.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Keeping it simple. Sticking to calorie goals. Not eliminating or restricting certain types of foods. Moderation.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Getting control of my diet. Eating in Moderation. Eating smaller portions. Not eating everything in sight. Planning what I eat a day ahead.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    drinking 100 ounces upwards of 1 gallon of water per day

staying within 2500 mg of sodium or less each day - this was probably the biggest thing that has helped me so far, the weight started falling off when I really started paying attention to my sodium

not eating out but once a week or less, I am now only eating out maybe 2x per month. It has helped with my weight loss as well as with my budget!

I try to eat at least 1 fruit or vegetable with every meal

These are just a few. I have lost 47 pounds since January 2013
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    oh and portion control was HUGE for me!!!! Definitely invest in a food scale.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 6 coca-colas a day and zero water and now i only drink one coke and 4-8 glasses of water....trying to make it zero cokes a day but it's tough, a 45 year addiction to coca-cola and 10 kidney stones later I am still struggling every day
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    In the end, it was my determination to stick to my goals (calorie AND workouts) that got me losing the most. The only one that can get you up off the couch and moving is YOU and the only one making the fork (spoon, fingers, etc) got to your mouth is YOU is what I kept telling myself. In the end it was ME that had to make the decision to change if I didnt' want to stay overweight the rest of my life. :smile:
  • VeroJuly
    VeroJuly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    drink water and eat my exercise calories back! Balance weight training and cardio. Find exercise that you enjoy so that working out doesn't feel like a chore. Have fun :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I ate at a modest deficit from maintenance...that is all. Along the way I learned a lot about portion control and moderation which both served me well maintaining for 6 months without logging. I'm on another cut now...i will observe a modest calorie deficit...that is all.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    The major contributor: Eating under your caloric daily allowance, and lifting to make shiz firm. Cardio isn't even a must, but great for health
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The first fifteen I wasn't even trying, I just quit eating/drinking empty calories and started eating healthier. Now I eat a nutritious diet (at a deficit) and workout 4-6 times a week.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    moving heavy things that didn't move themselves and calorie restriction...

PERIOD.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is about 80% of what your results are going to be. You'll find a lot of people here on MFP saying "calories in, calories out". But if you think about it, that is SO UNTRUE!!! 1400 calories of good, whole, REAL food is completely different than 1400 calories of junk like pre-made food, processed food, soda/pop, etc. Just focus on eating clean food; that's a good place to start.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!