MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    first reply...

best reply. the first is always best.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    People who are named after cars...

Many cars are names after people. Mercedes ( http://www.mbofsa.com/blog/mercedes-benz-name-origin/) and Porche are both real people's names. (Granted, Porche was his last name.)
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    But since it's not... carry on with the judging of others who judge others.

I just said they were mean because of all the mean comments they made but didn't bash or judge them. Merely an observation but whatever...
  • DublinDanny
    Options
    Never liked the name 'Tarquin'. Then I met a Tarquin, and it was good to be able to put a face to the name I hated so much.
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I know a little girl named Abcde (ab-sa-dee) and her family is the sweetest. She's in my toddler class, the name choice was bad but hey, she's cute, her parents are wonderful and they even hosted a cookout for the entire daycare, at their house.

Now, my mom used to teach 4th grade and she had a girl named ashadavodka (a shot of vodka) and her brother was in 2nd grade and his name was cavasiey (courvoisier). They're parents, eh a little on the ratchet side but they kids were spoiled and they were so nice.

I don't judge mainly from these two experiences. No name screams bad parent, unless they were named bad parent.
  • DublinDanny
    Options
    !:smooched:
  • twentyfourpaws
    twentyfourpaws Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Names should look good on a business card or be easily worn by a judge/cashier/ceo/whatever. I also like the Starbucks test. When they ask for your name for the order, give the name you're thinking of using, same wit dinner reservations or other everyday usage. It'll show you how wearable the name is in real life.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ejsls7.jpg

^^^LOL
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I personally find Shadynasty (Sha-dynasty, not shady nasty) from that one episode of "Always Sunny" to be a hilarious name. lol.
  • samiyan05
    samiyan05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My daughters name is beautiful and unique and always pronounced wrong lol her father hated it when I thought of it too so that was also a plus haha I love unique names. They do get out of hand but we don't need anymore jessicas or Samanthas or megans really. Be creative people :)
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I'm over the name Nevaeh. I don't think it's cute or unique.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The most interesting thing is that when it comes to people giving their kids weird names, we judge minority parents very differently than we do rich white parents doing the exact same thing.

You don't hear many recriminations against Willard Mitt Romney for naming his poor son Tagg.

You also don't hear many assumptions made about their intelligence or parenting ability.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article about popular names and the comments are just full of hate. While I agree that some of the names sound kind of dumb or not something I would name my kids, I wouldn't go so far as say that the parents should be punched or make judgements on the parents lifestyle/education/etc. based on what they choose to name their kid. If you don't like it fine but there's no need to bash on the people because of what they named their kid or just assume that if a kid is named a certain name that they would grow up to be pretentious, cocky, or a douche bag. A name is just that, it's how they're raised that will turn them into the people they are as adults. Just my thoughts. :-D
    Anyone who names a child Abcde should immediately have that child removed from his or her custody.

I mean, some names just scream, "BAD PARENT!!!"
    Reminds of the New Jersey couple who had their kids removed and put in foster care because they named them racist names (Adolph Hitler and Arayan Nation). And - when they gave birth to a third son and named him Hons, he was promptly removed from their custody as well. SMH
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A guy that I know who is a sales manager is called Richard Shaw and for some bizarre reason on his business cards he has Rick Shaw..but when you meet him he introduces himself as Ricky Shaw...I know a woman whose name is Jane Plane....Parents have a lot to answer for :tongue:
  • baconandwaffles
    Options
    While I was in labor the nurse was talking about some of the worst names she has heard. The two at the top were Emajyun (pronouced Imagine) and La-a (pronounced la-dash-a). Unfortunately, both of those babies were born to drug addicts though. She also agreed with another poster who said that a lot of the weird spellings were just because the mothers couldn't spell.
  • Dch2272
    Dch2272 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the pronunciation of " La-a"? I just want to see if any one will get this right... This is a name of a child at my friend's school she teaches at.

Ladasha.... seriously old joke!

Not really a joke. We had a girl apply for a job where I work and that truly was her name. La-a, pronounced Ladasha. It took every ounce of strength I had not to fall on the floor in disbelief.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Also i know people who named their kids Chlamydia and Malaria...true story :noway:

I went to college with a girl named Candida. Her mom thought it sounded pretty but had no idea what it really meant.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Worlds full of unhappy people and unhappy people are often *kitten*.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    While I think what a person names their child is their business it does not mean I can not have an opinion on it. When I had my son the people across the hall way their last name was Floyd they named their son pink.....Pink Floyd. I felt that kid is in for some teasing in school perhaps. Not only the band connection (which todays kids may not pick up on) but being a boy names Pink.