Jogging on Treadmill vs. Pavement Is it a mental thing?

Options
13»

Replies

• Courtney011691
    Options
    Here's my perspective although I'm sure others may have different experiences.

Treadmills:
    - I set the pace. I don't run too fast or too slow.
    - There is no uphill running unless I choose so.
    - There are no unexpected bumps/uneven terrain.
    - There is no wind, unless you turn on a fan.
    - Temperature controlled.
    - Constantly see how far you've ran.

Pavement:
    - Sometimes (most times) I start out running way too fast. It's always like I'm sprinting out of the gate. I get winded, realize how hard I just ran and slow down to an acceptable pace.
    - I may not visually see that I'm running at a gradual incline. It appears flat but may be the equivalent to 1 or 2 incline on a treadmill.
    - I run with my dog. For his safety and so cars passing by don't freak out we run on the sidewalk. Often times tree roots have picked up parts of the sidewalk and I have to do a slight jump over it not too trip. Other times cars park poorly and I have to run around them.
    - There can be a strong headwind slowing me down. Upside - it could also speed me up.
    - Running in different temperatures can be tough. Extreme heat or super cold make it difficult for me.
    - The settings on my phone only tell me every mile that has passed unless I check it. Often times I think "That must have been at least half a mile up that hill". *checks phone* ".25 miles?! Seriously!?? Gahhh".
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The thing with treadmills vs. pavement is this (or at least this is what I've found): on a treadmill, when you set your pace on the console, you kind of HAVE to run that speed, or you'll go flying off the thing. *L*

Seriously, though....when you're on a treadmill, you have a belt under your feet, propelling you. You're not having to move your body weight along the same way you do when you're on pavement.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I only ran exclusively on the treadmill. I had my first 5k scheduled though & knew I had to transition to the asphalt. I had a very hard time the first few times I tried it & couldn’t run as far, I would get winded, it hurt, etc. & I realized it was because I was running too fast. I wasn’t able to control my speed like I did on the treadmill. So what I did was just focus on my music, paced myself to the beat & used my HRM to gage when I was pushing myself further than I should. After doing this a few more times I was able to do it on my own w/out the need of my HRM. I learned to listen to my body & slowed down or increased my speed as needed. Now I don’t like to run on the treadmill, I prefer the outdoors.

Keep trying you will be able to transition, it might be hard @ first, but you will prefer it once you get the hang of it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Inside vs outside is all about preference. When it comes down to it, the same principles are followed: 10% increase a week or increases with down load every 3 weeks; get the proper shoes; go slow; etc...

Going from inside to out, from track to pavement, from pavement to trail....it all takes time for your body to readjust. Your legs basically learn how to run all over again. Going from one terrain from another, you are supposed to downgrade and then work back up so that your muscles and legs can become accustomed to the new stress that is being placed upon your body. People will tell you all day, "You need to set it to 1%, you need to set it to 2%" but that % is all about wind variables, not the terrain. You can't set the treadmill to be 1% pavement or 1% trail, so really the % when it comes to surface is an invalid claim anyway.

I am not against the treadmill, though I personally hate running on it and will only do short workouts when I am forced on it. With a tradmill you have hills at your finger tips, and using a treadmill is a great way to learn how to hold a consistant pace. The treadmill is a good surface for runners who are coming back after injury to start back on because it is the one surface with the most minimal inpact for running.

As far as the mental thing, running will always be a mental thing. You will have days where you just want to hang your shoes up and say "F*** it I quit!" And that will happen inside or out. You just have to over power that thought.

**Edited for grammar and spelling**
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    give me the outdoors anyday. i hate the dreadmill!!!! i feel like a rat on a wheel
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Because treadmill running is easier than road running (physically rather than mentally). You need far more forward propulsion because the ground doesn't magically swish from underneath you.

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/how-effective-is-treadmill-running-compared-to-running-outside

This.
    More than just mental. It's physical ~ you used different muscles.

Because in real life, you work hard to move forward. On the treadmill, no so much~ the machine helps you move forward.

Another good article:
    https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/running/road-versus-treadmill.htm
    On the treadmill, you lift your foot & the track moves forward for you.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Whats the incline that you use..
    Treadmill w/out incline - uses less energy vs pavement
    Teadmill w/incline of level 3 = to running on the pavement
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Though I own one, I hate running on the treadmill! I struggle to get 2 miles in on the treadmill, but can go out and run 10 and be happier (if that's where I'm at with my training)! I find I keep bumping the speed up to get it over with which wears me out! On the other hand, I do use it to train for speed when I feel the need. Either way, I prefer to run outside.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    The first time I started running I was a treadmill lover and like you I got so exhausted outside (I was horrible at keeping a moderate pace). This time I started running outside and am having a hard time transitioning inside. Yes there are hundreds of reasons why one is easier or harder than the other but I most is mental. It's what you know, it's how you trained, it's what is comfortable. Sorry I wish I had some advice. I'm just trying to push through until it finally clicks again :ohwell:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I agree with what previous posters have responded with so far when it comes down to the difference of running outside VS a treadmill.

For me, I find it more than extremely difficult to run on pavement. I get visible bruises on my legs and it hurts my knees. I also tend to go faster on pavement than on the treadmill where I can control my pace. Sometime I realize I need to slow down when I'm outside and I tell myself to take it back a notch but by that time I am so worn out! I have asthma which I have slowly started to grow out of so I haven't used an inhailer for a while, but when I run on pavement I feel like I need it before I get even 1/4 mile in. I have ran 5K's but it helps when I run with friends who are also needing to take it slower. My other issue is that I have kids, so dropping them off at the child watch in the Y is typically my only option, so treadmill it is. I do keep trying though! I would love to be able to easily run outdoors someday!
  • gaevren
    Options
    As far as preference goes, I infinitely prefer running outdoors to running on a treadmill. Every Saturday morning I make sure to hit the pavement.

But right now most of my running is done on a treadmill, during the week. My only time to exercise is 4am and the streets around here aren't very well-lit and frankly, I'm just not comfortable running outside by myself at 4 am (5 foot tall female). I know the statistics are overwhelmingly in my favor and the odds that anything would happen to me are pretty nil (and I'm hyper aware of my surroundings all the time, not just when it's dark) but it just kind of wigs me out regardless. One of my few things I actually get stressed over.

So I go to the gym and run on the treadmill. It's easier, physically, but way more boring mentally. I make sure to bring awesome music along with me so it's not too terrible lol.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Untill now outdoor running is winning and treadmill fans are losing:bigsmile:

We're running, aren't we? We're all winning.