Looking for Users with 1200 cals per day who eat Indian food

Options
Hi there,
I'm looking for users that would be willing to share their Diaries with me, who are also at 1200 calories per day, who preferably don't eat a lot of meat, or who eat a lot of Indian food like me. Indian food is hard to measure plus super oily. I'm looking for ideas of what people eat and don't have enough of my own friends who are on MFP. Thanks!

Replies

• homlad
    homlad Posts: 6
    Options
    I cook a fair amount of Indian food (I eat more than 1200 calories a day but an appropriate amount for weight loss/ health and the recipes I use can be split into extra serving no problem) and I have found that cashew cream is a miracle food. In curries like Tikka Masala (Not authentic I know) I can't tell the difference between it and dairy cream, but it is far less calories and fat, and the fat is the good kind. Red lentils cook down and go well with tomato sauce. Also, I've replace most of the meat and paneer in Indian dishes with baked tofu (I think tofu and paneer have similar textures). If you're going out to eat I would think things like saag paneer or aloo gobi would be the way to go. All restaurants, though, add lots of oil and ghee to make things taste good, they care about flavor not calories.

To make things not oily I'd suggest making them in a nonstick pan, still using oil (a healthy one, I use grapeseed), but you won't need nearly as much. I usually eat Indian food with rice and I'm a big fan of Lundburg Farms brown long-grain for curries, it doesn't have the mealy taste that the store brands do.

I'm not religious about documenting my food anymore, but I enter my recipes, you can check those out.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    cool.

im looking for winners who eat between 1700 and 3000 calories per day who eat Italian food!

high five!
  • Rabiasiddiqi
    Options
    Thanks Homlad!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have found that cashew cream is a miracle food. In curries like Tikka Masala (Not authentic I know) I can't tell the difference between it and dairy cream, but it is far less calories and fat, and the fat is the good kind.

I love to cook Indian food and will be looking for cashew cream... where did you find it?
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I usually eat much more than 1200 calories but I do enjoy south asian food.

I find that the only way to really calculate the calories is to make it yourself and even when you make it yourself, it will never be as rich as restuarant or "auntie" made
  • homlad
    homlad Posts: 6
    Options
    You can buy it at some grocery stores from a brand called Mimicreme, their website has a store locator, but I personally think it's a rip off and thinner than it should be. Also, a lot of places only have the vanilla kind or sweetened for coffee :p It's much easier to make. Find yourself some RAW cashews (technically they aren't raw as cashews are toxic in their raw state, they just aren't roasted), they'll be in the bulk bins or you may need to go a health food store (if I can find them in Bismarck, ND anyone can find them). Soak them overnight (or bring to a boil and then simmer 20-30 min) to soften them, drain and put them in blender. I cover 1 cup of raw cashews up to the 2 cup line with water, 2 cups of cashews up to the 4 cup line, etc. I don't know how much water that exactly is because of all the space in between the irregular shape of the cashews. Then blend until smooth, you can adjust the water to your taste, but I think this is pretty close to heavy whipping cream. I make a bunch at a time as it freezes really well. The other benefit, besides the nutritionally benefits, is that it doesn't curdle like dairy does. You can cream with it 1:1, the only thing it doesn't do is form a foam when whipped.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Hey Rabia - you can add me! I aim for 1200 and I'm Indian - I don't eat that much Indian food but whenever I have the time to cook it I do! And yeah restaurant Indian is oily, but if you cook it is really healthy, I use the tiniest bit of oil when I cook. I'm making raita and rice tonight, and maybe masala chicken - yum :)
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat Indian food about 90% to 95% of the time. The only time I don't eat Indian food is for breakfast because I don't have much time in the morning to cook. I aim for 1500-1600. It is way healthier for my husband and I to cook the meals at home than eat out. Granted the taste is better and richer at a restaurant.
  • Candygames
    Candygames Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can add me. I eat mostly vegetarian, home cooked indian food. I will start logging soon.