Geez, people can be so mean

Options

Replies

• VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Wait til you go into an upper-middle class neighborhood and hear "Aiden!!" all day.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    We have a kind of standing joke around where I work. If a name sounds right with "The Honourable..." in front of it, you're good to go. If it sounds like it belongs with "The State vs. ...." in front of it, you might want to use a different name. Of course, if you choose a name that can go either way? It's a crap shoot. :ohwell:
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There is a child who was born the same day as our middle daughter that the nurses were talking about that day. They said some parents had named a boy- First name" Stud" Last name "Lee". We thought they were joking until Stud Lee turned up in our daughter's grade school yearbook.

Really- some people are asking to be judged.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    But since it's not... carry on with the judging of others who judge others.

Ok, as a side note I like this.^^

However, back to the point - maybe baby naming laws should be more prevalent? Some countries have lists and you must choose a name from the list or pay a fee and get it approved (although not all names are approved).

http://mentalfloss.com/article/25034/8-countries-fascinating-baby-naming-laws
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the pronunciation of " La-a"? I just want to see if any one will get this right... This is a name of a child at my friend's school she teaches at.

Ladasha.... seriously old joke!

Not really a joke. We had a girl apply for a job where I work and that truly was her name. La-a, pronounced Ladasha. It took every ounce of strength I had not to fall on the floor in disbelief.

Sadly, her name could not be entered properly where I work, punctuation marks in all names are omitted.
    Also, odd spellings of common names create duplicate entries for people because every time they come in the registrar adds them with the expected spelling.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Never liked the name 'Tarquin'. Then I met a Tarquin, and it was good to be able to put a face to the name I hated so much.

I've loved this name since Blackwood Farm :heart:
  • Monkeyca_Rodriguez
    Monkeyca_Rodriguez Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I went to college with a girl named Candida. Her mom thought it sounded pretty but had no idea what it really meant.

Candida means naive in spanish :wink:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I'm over the name Nevaeh. I don't think it's cute or unique.

This name makes my skin crawl.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My husband knew a Chris Cross, Cross was her surname after marriage. There has been a Private Parts (not the parents fault). My daughter went to school with a girl called Pearl. The brother's name was Sydney. Pearl and Sydney Harbour. When naming a child, check what the initials spell, *kitten* Andrew Steven Smith...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If I have a girl, I'm naming her Anomoly, or I might spell it AnaMolly.....Anywho, people are jerks sometimes. Don't let it get to you.

Don't nobody steal my not-yet-existing daughter's name! :angry:
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    UK here.

We are taught from an early age that our children should be named so that if you put the honorific title "king" before their name, it would sound dignified.

My children are Richard and Daniel. King Richard, King Daniel.

King Dylan or King Connor doesn't quite cut it.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My husband knew a Chris Cross, Cross was her surname after marriage. There has been a Private Parts (not the parents fault). My daughter went to school with a girl called Pearl. The brother's name was Sydney. Pearl and Sydney Harbour. When naming a child, check what the initials spell, *kitten* Andrew Steven Smith...

A former colleague, Annette Williams, married John Curtain.

(True story)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Iva Primrose

Mia Peacock

Love crazy names. My friend loved the name Mia but passed on it as her surname is now Peacock. Iva Primrose was a bloke who was friend's with my mum in her 20's.

Iva apparently means 'God is gracious'. I feel the combinations with it are endless.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    People who are named after cars...

Porche and Mercedes were girls names before they were car names.

http://www.babynames.com/name/Porsche

http://www.babynames.com/name/MERCEDES

I find it weird when people name their daughter Chelsea when they have no connection with that part of London or the football team or are not even aware that it's a football team.

This site lists the origin as coming from the part of London first (well the meaning is port for chalk, which is what the London district name would have originated from): http://www.babynames.com/name/CHELSEA
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the pronunciation of " La-a"? I just want to see if any one will get this right... This is a name of a child at my friend's school she teaches at.

Ladasha.... seriously old joke!

Not really a joke. We had a girl apply for a job where I work and that truly was her name. La-a, pronounced Ladasha. It took every ounce of strength I had not to fall on the floor in disbelief.

Sadly, her name could not be entered properly where I work, punctuation marks in all names are omitted.
    Also, odd spellings of common names create duplicate entries for people because every time they come in the registrar adds them with the expected spelling.

So no Marie-Jeannes where you live, I take it?

I love hyphens. My address has so many hyphens in it computer systems freak everywhere, though. It's kind of stupid.

I like odd names and normal names. I'm pretty easy going. Hitler is a no go, however, lol. I get more freaked out by those countries with really strict naming laws. That would be very bizarre to have to deal with.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Drives me crazy that people don't know the difference between a boy's and girl's name

Gabriel- I'm a guy

Gabrielle - that's a girl.

Yet, I still get letters that start with "Ms."
    :mad:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Amazing!! I must have a child IMMEDIATELY and name it "Patronne Dextrexxe Brooks"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My daughters name is beautiful and unique and always pronounced wrong lol her father hated it when I thought of it too so that was also a plus haha I love unique names. They do get out of hand but we don't need anymore jessicas or Samanthas or megans really. Be creative people :)

Poor kid. I hated having my name mispronounced and misspelled everywhere. Creativity and kid naming do not go together.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    I knew what I was going to name my youngest 20 years before she was born. My wife didn't even get a vote.

I didn't seek anyone's approval when I named my children, nor do I care what their opinions may be. As long as they talk behind my back and don't let me catch wind about it, it's like they don't even have an opinion.

Sure there are a lot of names out there that I, and apparently others, question, but it's none of my, or your, business.

It's a personal choice.