Cooking Challenge: Greek Yogurt

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the second round of the cooking challenge! I picked this ingredient, but the next challenge will be picked by the winner of our last challenge. I just want to be able to keep this going without any delays!

greekyogurt.jpg

This week's challenge is GREEK YOGURT.

Greek yogurt tends to be thicker than other yogurts. Greek yogurt is sometimes used as a substitute for sour cream due to the consistency. You can find it in a variety of ranges of whole milk yogurt to fat free.

When compared to "normal" yogurt, Greek yogurt is:
1. higher in protein
2. lower in carbs
2. lower in sodium

The bacterias is yogurt have been known to relieve the symptoms of IBS and prevent yeast infections and other urinary tract infections. Yogurt also has calcium, good for osteoporosis.

Greek Yogurt (Fage 0% fat)(1 cup)
120 calories
0 grams fat
85 mg sodium
9 grams carbs
20 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. I haven't considered whether we should vote for a winner or not (suggestions?) but each week a new challenge will be given. It's up to you to make something delicious! If you make something after the week challenge is over, feel free to post it anyway for reference for other people.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• rundgrenfan
    Options
    Hi, does anyone else make homemade yogurt? It is easy and cheap and you don't need a yogurt maker. I buy a little thing of the store bought greek for a starter and can get 4-5 batches (I make it once a week or so) before needing new starter. Sorry, that is not really a recipe!
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt! I don't have enough time to participate in this challenge, but if I get a chance I will have to look for this one recipe I saw in a magazine. My son didn't care for Greek yogurt until I bought him strawberry "Brown Cow" brand. He is hooked now. :tongue:
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I don't have any of these challenge ingredients here :( I couldn't find garbanzo beans last week and I have gone through all the yogurts at our grocery store and there is no Greek yogurt here either. Can I just use plain yogurt?? I have an idea I would like to try, but it is not going to be "Greek" yogurt
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I don't have any of these challenge ingredients here :( I couldn't find garbanzo beans last week and I have gone through all the yogurts at our grocery store and there is no Greek yogurt here either. Can I just use plain yogurt?? I have an idea I would like to try, but it is not going to be "Greek" yogurt

Definitely. We'll just pretend it's Greek. :P
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    If you strain some regular yogurt through a cheesecloth or a coffee filter, you will get a thicker yogurt like Greek style.
    The whey is good, too -- the stuff that drips out -- for all sorts of things.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You are picking all of my favorite ingredients.... stay tuned.... and maybe I will even be able to upload my own photo!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    You are picking all of my favorite ingredients.... stay tuned.... and maybe I will even be able to upload my own photo!

I'm glad!! <3
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Never used greek yogurt before b/c I couldn't justify the $$. This should be interesting :laugh: Thanks, lady!
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Spinach Artichoke Dip

1/2 C Greek Yogurt (I used nonfat)
    1 pkg. cream cheese (1/3 less fat)
    3 garlic cloves (finely grated)
    1/3 C. parmesan cheese
    1 tbsp red pepper spread
    1 can Artichoke Hearts (undrained 13.5 oz.)
    3-4 cups chopped fresh spinach
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp salt (optional)

combine all ingredients except spinach in food processor. process until blended. Pour into glass baking dish. Add spinach and mix well. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-45 minutes, stirring halfway. Dip is done when slightly brown and bubbly. Serve with your favorite healthy chip or cracker!

Nutrition:
    Assuming 8 servings per recipe:
    98 calories
    8 carbs
    2 fat
    9 protein
    750 sodium
    3 fiber
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm in! And I found Greek yogurt ON CLOSEOUT!!! Yay!!! I'm making the recipe tomorrow so I'll update with nutrition information and all that fun stuff then.
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I've never really used Greek Yogurt before - this'll be fun! I'm going to try to find an entree - I just don't think I can find the time to cook something that's not a meal this week. Although, I stumbled across this recipe for Greek Yogurt Cheesecake and my mouth started watering... so that may just be what I make anyway.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    actually have a huge tub of greek yogurt in the fridge and was gonna use it tonight in a dish... just as a substitute for sour cream. i'll post a recipe later.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Chicken Satay w/Peanut Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

FOR THE MARINADE
    1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% to increase the fat)
    1 tsp freshly grated ginger
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tbsp curry powder
    1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into strips
    20 wooden skewers

FOR THE PEANUT SAUCE:
    1 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tsp sriacha
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 limes, juiced
    1/2 cup hot water
    1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, for garnish

FOR THE MARINADE:
    1. Combine the yogurt, ginger, garlic, and curry powder into a shallow bowl. Include the chicken and cover with the yogurt mixture. Place in refrigerator and left marinate for 2 hours.

2. Thread the chicken onto the skewers. Place on a cooking sheet and place into a preheated oven at 400 for 20 minutes.

FOR THE PEANUT SAUCE:
    1. Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, sriacha, brown sugar, and lime juice in a food processor. Pulse until pasty. While the processor is still running, add the water. Garnish with peanuts and serve as a dipping sauce for the chicken satay.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 277 per serving

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 10 (2 skewers per serving)

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I loved it! I've never made a peanut sauce before, so that was interesting in itself. The Greek yogurt made such a thick goopy marinade for the chicken that stuck REALLY well to it. The curry and garlic tastes really melded in to the yogurt and made it taste so good. The slight spice in both the peanut sauce and the chicken with the underlying sweet of the peanut sauce was just excellent. I would definitely make this dish again.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_3515.jpg
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Mmmm Liz - that looks amazing! But not terribly filling... Were 2 skewers enough to really feel satisfied?

Still no freaking idea what I'm going to make for this week's challenge. I have zero experience with greek yogurt... Hopefully I'll come up with something! Maybe on Thursday, when I have a free day!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Mmmm Liz - that looks amazing! But not terribly filling... Were 2 skewers enough to really feel satisfied?

I was actually stuffed. I did serve it with a broccoli salad, so I'm sure that helped too. :)
    The rest of the meal is posted here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/inskydiamonds/view/tuesday-october-19-chicken-satay-w-peanut-sauce-grilled-broccoli-crunch-salad-450-calories-45781
  • meagalayne
    Options

I was actually stuffed. I did serve it with a broccoli salad, so I'm sure that helped too. :)
    Yea I assume you served it with something hehe But 1/10th of 1.5lbs of meat isn't very much. Just wondering if it felt like enough protein. I tend to eat a lot :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

Yea I assume you served it with something hehe But 1/10th of 1.5lbs of meat isn't very much. Just wondering if it felt like enough protein. I tend to eat a lot :)

haha, I do too usually

But now that I think about it, the boyfriend only ate 3 skewers and was full and usually he eats a ton. So I'm not sure if it's because the meal was filling or if we both just weren't very hungry.
  • PlatinumPiggy
    Options
    I had this for breakfast this morning

1 sachet of Golden Syrup Oat So Simple and 180ml semi skim milk- cook in micro for 2mins
    top with 100g chopped strawberries 1 teaspoon of Splenda
    stir in 1 pot 170g 0% TOTAL Fage Yoghurt

336kcals for the whole lot

Filling and feels like you are cheating because the Fage Total yoghurt is like thick cream!!!
    x
  • KelliB25
    Options
    Okay I have two ways that I enjoy greek yogurt.

Breakfast:
    1 Single serve container greek yogurt (I like the FAGE 0%) (90cal)
    2 packets of splenda
    1 serving of KASHI GO LEAN CRISP! (180 cal)

This is very yummy and soo filling!

Lunch:
    1 can of Bumblebee - Tuna Sensations Spicy Thai Chili 3oz (160cal)
    1 Fage - 0% Nonfat Greek Yogurt (90 cal)

I mix the tuna with some of the yogurt and eat that and then with the left over yogurt I add some splenda and have it for dessert!!

I also have recently been using greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
  • ElvenMother427
    Options
    Everything looks great....I will have to post something later today. :)