Replies

• MrCrazyMike
    MrCrazyMike Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Alright, I think I am done here. Bye.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think anyone who would hop onboard with a milk and potato diet wouldn't really be interested in fact-checking...
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Yes, the irish did the diet. Heck, many of them died and others traveled to north america after the potato famine since they relied so much on potatoes to begin with. This was like a long while ago.

Your ignorance of Irish history is utterly despicable.

First of all, watch the language. Now are you telling me there was no potato famine in Irland? .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

"In Ireland, the Great Famine was a period of mass starvation, disease and emigration between 1845 and 1852[1] It is sometimes referred to, mostly outside Ireland, as the Irish Potato Famine because one-third of the population was then solely reliant on this cheap crop for a number of historical reasons"
    I didn't say that there wasn't a famine. Do some proper research on the social, political and economic history of Ireland during that time period and you will see the problem I have with your statement.

Yes ^^^, and notice he left as people were not agreeing with him
  • tallmansix
    Options

Yes, you fell into your own trap of not checking the facts.

Read a little more about the Irish Molybdenum famine and you will find:

"The usage of the word "famine" is a misnomer. Although the potato crop failed, the country was still producing and exporting more than enough grain crops to feed the population. Records show during the period Ireland was exporting approximately thirty to fifty shiploads per day of food produce."

There was a lot more to it than potatoes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yes, you fell into your own trap of not checking the facts.

Read a little more about the Irish Molybdenum famine and you will find:

"The usage of the word "famine" is a misnomer. Although the potato crop failed, the country was still producing and exporting more than enough grain crops to feed the population. Records show during the period Ireland was exporting approximately thirty to fifty shiploads per day of food produce."

There was a lot more to it than potatoes.
    Right.

There was also milk!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wait...so all you can eat is potatoes and drink milk? But why?

Who says I am even eating that only. I just find it alarming that sites just quote the straightdope blog's conclusions without factchecking.
    And we should care, why? smiley-confused005.gif

Maybe you don't care, but there is some interest for this diet one way or another, since this diet is being mentioned on the internet quoting the straightdope blog. Like if they would believe there is no interest in the diet itself, they would not even mention it because it would not create traffic in their sites.
    Most people with some level of intelligence would source their information from reputable websites and not from blogs.

Milk and potatoes isn't intrinsically unhealthy. Just a little nutrient deficient.