DO YOU?????????

Options
I was wondering because I am about to start working out at about 5:30am. if you are a morning workout person, do you eat breakfast first or do you work out first?

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    breakfast and coffee first for me. but this also requires i give myself a solid 1-2 hours prior to running. i don't mind it though. mornings are relaxing and nice - very dark, very quiet, very peaceful.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am still sleeping at that time .. but if I was to do it like that, I would probably eat breakfast first.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    When I work out early in the mornings, I eat breakfast after.

Generally, I need about an hour rest after eating to work out effectively.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have to eat after or I get sick.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    After.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I like to leave about an hour before my workout to have breakfast - something light e.g. one slice toast and peanut butter or cereal. If I'm running late, I'll usually throw down some skim milk just to give the body a little juice to run on for the workout. Oh yesss, tons of black coffee for a 4:15 wake up is required. ;)

I used to work out on an empty stomach but I found the intensity of my work outs are better when i have had some food before hand.
  • Dre2112
    Dre2112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my preference would be to eat at least an hour before working out, however I have to wake up at 4am to workout in the morning so I eat after my morning workout.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    breakfast and coffee first for me. but this also requires i give myself a solid 1-2 hours prior to running. i don't mind it though. mornings are relaxing and nice - very dark, very quiet, very peaceful.

I'm the same way. I love having the quiet time to myself.
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When i do early morning work outs i eat after. Usually i have to be at the Gym by 5 AM.. which at 4:45 in the morning your lucky im walking out with a sports bra on.
  • wowgirl30
    wowgirl30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 and have breakfast before because I go straight to work after exercise at the pool and won't have time to eat for several hours. Try it both ways and see how you feel during your workout. Some people feel sick if they eat before and others don't feel like they have enough energy if they don't. For others like me its a schedule thing.
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat, I don't seem to have energy to do the workout (might have more to do with not being awake yet lol). I usually get up at 4, drink coffee, reply to emails in bed...eat some pb and banana on toast or a protein shake...then head out at 6 to the gym. But...I really like mornings.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I never workout in a fasted state. Not because I think it's better, but because it would make me uncomfortable. I don't like to set myself up for skipping future workouts.

Do whatever works for yourself though.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't typically eat anything until at least 11am but usually after 12. Intermittent Fasting has been my magic 'tool'. If I have a crazy intense workout before noon, I might eat a string cheese within an hour of the workout.
  • tallmansix
    Options
    No breakfast for me until after the gym in the morning,
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I wake up that early for work, but when I do morning workouts I always make sure to have a bigger dinner the night before with more protein and carbs. When I wake up I would drink a big cup of water, then go work out.

If you wake up hungry, have an apple or orange or something like that to start yourself off, then eat breakfast after the workout to help fuel the burn. I'd avoid coffee because it dehydrates you, and too much food will slow you down. A piece of fruit is perfect, gives you some sugar and gets you going.
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a morning person, more like about a 10AM person. But given that I usually don't get up until around 9 or so... I usually go first, come home, then have a couple eggs or something afterwards. For me, just seems to work well. I guess I figure I might feel more full to do anything if I eat first? I'm sure it's all mental, but that's my routine.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well if you wanted a bunch of people just telling you their very own personal preference then you got it in this thread.

Why were you asking?
    What have you already tried?
    How long have you been exercising?

WHAT kind of exercise are you going to be doing? (that is the MAIN question)

Like my response. Message me directly. I more then likely won't follow up on any thread on my fitness pal unless someone directly messages me to notify me.

Thanks

Annacondak
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also suggest you check into what the SCIENCE says.

There are a lot of gurus out there.

It is absolute complete bull**** that you can't eat carbs after 3:00 PM or 6:00 PM...............
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think it's what works for you. Personally, if I work out right after I eat, I'm going to barf all over the floor. If I'm working out fasted, I'll take a pre-work out or drink BCAAs before. That's it.
  • bremorrison
    Options
    Always after, If I eat breakfast before and go on a 3 mile run I feel like im going to throw up.