Anyone out there suffering from Psoriasis??

Options
Hi Everyone~

I know this isnt really a "food and nutrition" topic but was contemplating where to post. Anyway.... I suffer from moderate Psoriasis and have for probably close to 10 years now. (Ages 19-29). I have done a lot of reasearch on the disease, and have seen dermatologists in the past. I am well aware of the things they tell you to avoid to help with reducing your Psoriasis, and have also tried cleansing to help reduce it. Mine always gets worst in the winter when the air gets dryer, and I spend less time in the sun and what not.

I currently dont have health insurance so I cant really afford to go to a Derm right now, so just curious if you MFP users have any words of wisdom on this oh-so-frustrating auto-immune disease. Are there certain things nutritionaly that you have come across that HELP or make it WORSE?? What about supplements? Certain detoxes? Saunas to help elimate toxins? I am all for trying anything new to help boost my immune system and help with the Psoriasis!!!

Thanks for all of your opinions!!

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Eczema & psoriasis run in my family. I have found in addition to winter time, diet is a huge part of what brings mine on. Dairy, sugar, yeast, gluten, and certain trigger foods (particular to me) all make it worse for me. Besides eggs and some very rare ice cream, I don't do dairy for this reason.

My cousin has had really terrible psriasis and her derm always prescribes cortisone cream, which you can, of course, buy over the counter. I also found amlactin lotion worked wonders for my skin (you can buy over the counter or ask the pharmacy). Keep skin hydrated and drinking lots of water helps. Oh yeah, if you haven't already, ditch all the lotions with scents, perfumes and dyes. They can make it all worse.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    You'll want to do a little reading up on it, but I think i recall reading that nettle tea will help with psoriasis and eczema. it's a blood cleanser and quite tasty, too.

you can buy dried nettles from most health food stores (as herbs go, this is somewhat mainstream). pour hot water over the leaves, let them settle and then drink. nettles are also very good for the lungs.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    White flour is a huge trigger for me, as is cold and dryness (tis the season). I had to do an elimination diet to find this trigger, which is something you might consider.

Also, fragrances...I have very few I can tolerate. What I've gotten a surprising amount of relief from (since I try to avoid steroid creams) are coconut oil (it's greasy but good) and baths with oatmeal and jojoba oil. Especially the coconut oil, which my skin just seems to slurp right up.

HTH.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I used to get eczema real bad and switched to Eucerin lotion and creams.
    Also, I take fish oil supplements. It is great for the skin.
    Super Dieter's Tea is great for colon health and a detox.
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    I used to have one small patch on my elbow. it drove me nuts for many many years. as crazy as this sounds after going to a natural hot spring with my hubby up in wyoming it went away. the water was really heavy with sulfur. don't know if that had anything to do with it or not but I am not complaining about it being gone. good luck with your psoriasis. I know how much of a pain it can be.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I have had it since I was a kid, and the only thing that works for me to eliminate it completely is the creams from the doc.
    I haven't found a reliable culprit in my diet thus far, but I haven't done the elimination method in years, so I will not rule that out. But my reason for posting (finally, right?; 0) is that if I let sweat sit on my skin for ONE MOMENT, it flares up the next day. I have it real bad on my eyelids and in my hair (back of my head), and it is soooo painful!
    Anyhoo...hope that one little tidbit can take away some from the misery.
  • IKnowICan
    Options
    I was born with Ezcema :sad: (as my face itches at the moment) I agree with everyone on this post...I've even looked it up on Youtube to see if anybody has a Miracle Cure as I'm so tired of it! I learned that Aveeno creams are really effective so I bought 2 types. It is oatmeal so it smells kind of like tires lol. but really moisturizes the skin. I'm looking for Face Skin Care for Eczema & psoriasis sufferers. I use synthetic brushes (no animal products). I really dislike to sweat because of the salt makes me itch. Also hot tubs cannot be too hot or that'll make you itch as well & of course the ocean is a big no no for obvious reasons. I did ask my estitician at the Dr's office & she said like someone else on this post to take a Vitaman. E everyday as that cures some many issues that we have so that's what I'm trying to do currently. I live for cortisone cream (I know it's bad) but what else can you do?
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well hello fellow elbow buddies! I have guttate p. For me i lube up with vaseline after every shower. When i stop eating wheat it pretty much clears up. I take some sort of antihistamine to stop me from itching so bad. I also bought some dead sea salts and try to bathe with them as much as possible. Im more of a shower girl myself but when im having a flare up i'll deal with baths. Exercising really helps. Lots of water. Try getting a humidifier for the dryness. And i dont know if you already do but use fragrance free detergents and fabric softeners. Just try eating as natural as possible. If it doesn't grow or have a mother don't eat it. I break out when eating a lot of processed foods or MSG. I have a pretty intense set of rules i try to follow to keep it clear. I don't know how many of them are actually that effective but it seems to be working. I havent used prescriptions in a long long time.
  • tierra85
    Options
    I was born with Ezcema :sad: (as my face itches at the moment) I agree with everyone on this post...I've even looked it up on Youtube to see if anybody has a Miracle Cure as I'm so tired of it! I learned that Aveeno creams are really effective so I bought 2 types. It is oatmeal so it smells kind of like tires lol. but really moisturizes the skin. I'm looking for Face Skin Care for Eczema & psoriasis sufferers. I use synthetic brushes (no animal products). I really dislike to sweat because of the salt makes me itch. Also hot tubs cannot be too hot or that'll make you itch as well & of course the ocean is a big no no for obvious reasons. I did ask my estitician at the Dr's office & she said like someone else on this post to take a Vitaman. E everyday as that cures some many issues that we have so that's what I'm trying to do currently. I live for cortisone cream (I know it's bad) but what else can you do?

I have psoriasis on my face and the only face products i can use are the aloe line from the body shop.
  • IKnowICan
    Options

I have psoriasis on my face and the only face products i can use are the aloe line from the body shop.

Thanks I'll look into it.:flowerforyou: Eczema is a little different than Psoriasis I understand. My MIL has the Psoriasis so we talk about the different things they entail. She can go in the sun & the sun for me makes me itch. My husband says I should be put in a bubble lol. I agree with no perfume soaps, laundry detergents & as a child I had no carpet in my room & drank apple juice in kindergarden when everyone else had milk (the insecurities started). I don't get it on my hands but I do get it on my face & neck & especially eye's always itch. Thank God for makeup! I'm too vain to go with eczema on my face to the store! I refuse to not have my ice cold 1% milk with breakfast but it's been a life long battle for sure! I need anti-aging products but even my derm says I would not be a good candidate for the laser resurfacing as Vaseline is put on over the resurfaced skin but is one of those products that make me itch so I guess I'll just age gracefully but kicking & screaming on the way.:grumble:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    1 simple and natural item that you can use on the Inside (like cooking and baking) as well as outside (moisturizing and healing ointment) the body.

Coconut Oil.

I have 3 people at work that said they suffered from either psoriasis or ezcema and had them to go buy a jar of Nutiva coconut oil and with in 4 days they were healed up.

PM me if you would like more information.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I have had it since birth mainly on my scalp, behind my ears, some flares on my stomach and arms. Once in a great while on my legs. I found that the OTC shampoos are the least helpful. I have found that pure Vitamin E oil, Almond oil or the like that will obsorb into the skin is the least irritating. Lanolin cream is also good, just stay away from products with perfumes. Aloe vera is an anti- inflamatory and it softens the skin by removing dead cells while increasing moisture. You can apply the pulp directly onto the irritated areas and/or take the juice internally. Gotu Kola improves circulation, and cleans the blood which helps skin diseases. Its also good to take to improve memory! I've tried these things off and on which improve my skin condition, but nothing except a complete diet change seemed to eliminate it altogether. This summer I tried to stay on an 80% raw food diet. No diary, no wheat, corn, sugar (candy, alcohol), very, very little cooked meat, and supplemented only with cooked vegi's, rice or quinoa a couple times a week. By the third week on this type of diet/lifestyle I noticed I wasn't constantly scratching at my scalp! It is hard to maintain and I stopped doing it after 2 months but easy enough to do if you are seeking some relief. Try to use techiques to keep stress at bay, yoga and meditation and drink plenty of water to keep your system flushed. All these things help keep those horrible flares under control.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    A super clean diet free of gluten products may help you immensely. Increase veggies and wheat-free whole grains, decrease meats, and you will gently and slowly detox. Dandelion, fennel, and acai are good for detoxing.

GENTLE exfoliation and/or dry brushing, over time, will also help. I stress GENTLE! You don't want to damage the skin, although it may feel really good temporarily to get in there and scrub. It will only increase cell turnover and eventually make it worse.

Avoid HOT showers, baths, hot tubs. The heated water will actually increase dryness overall. Also, shower less. I know that is a crazy concept for many people, but water actually draws natural moisture from your skin, it does not add moisture. Wash the important parts to feel clean, but skip to an every other day shower schedule. You may feel more oily at first, but it will balance out as your skin "learns" to protect itself naturally.

What is in the products you are using? Lanolin- the sebum of the sheep, can cause allergic reactions on the surface of the skin. A known irritant, especially for people with skin conditions. Mineral Oil- Coats the skin, holding moisture in, drawing it to the surface causing a temporary look and/or feel of smoothness- but prevents new moisture from getting in there. Also an irritant. SD alcohols- Very drying effect. Many ingredients may be labeled as alcohols, but are not neccessarily drying. SD alcohol IS very drying. Avoid it at all costs. Something simple, like, organic, cold-pressed olive oil- your best friend. It is even safe for your face. It is NOT going to cause you to break out unless you are allergic to olives. Avoid "Soap" that comes in a bar, it is extremely alkaline and drying to the skin. I don't understand why they even make it.

Burdock, milk tistle, and sarsaparilla are herbs that have been known to be beneficial for psoraisis. Always check to make sure there are no interactions with any other meds you may be taking, OTC meds included, when trying herbal therapy.

Light therapy has proven itself very beneficial. Of course this time of year it is not easy to get natural sunlight.... You can buy a small light for at home. Just be sure to limit exposure to 5 minutes per day. Overexposure will obviously not be a good thing.

Some medical schools may treat you for free if they are researching the disease. Look into it. My bosses husband used to recieve free light therapy from U of M, no drugs or creams..... it was extremely beneficial!

Hope that helps a little. Inbox me if you wish. I am an esthetician. I've helped more with dry skin than psoriasis, but still know stuff. Going gluten and dairy free has cured my eczema. I believe diet is the best sure for anything.
  • tierra85
    Options
    1 simple and natural item that you can use on the Inside (like cooking and baking) as well as outside (moisturizing and healing ointment) the body.

Coconut Oil.

I have 3 people at work that said they suffered from either psoriasis or ezcema and had them to go buy a jar of Nutiva coconut oil and with in 4 days they were healed up.

mmm coconut oil! this might be a stupid question but are you referring to putting in on my skin? It's the only oil i'll cook with so i have tons! I guess its not that stupid of a question i've put some pretty weird stuff on my skin before lol
  • IKnowICan
    Options
    Thank you for this topic...I love to hear how everyone else copes with it. I was told Eczema is the Itch that Rashes not the Rash that itches!:tongue: So true...it's were ever I decide to itch when I'm stressed/upset. Yes I agree with

"What is in the products you are using? Lanolin- the sebum of the sheep, can cause allergic reactions on the surface of the skin. A known irritant, especially for people with skin conditions. " Yes....:frown: Any animal products make me itch!.

After this thread I went and bought a bunch of Aveeno Eczema lotions/potions to pamper myself with.

Also after shower/bathing I agree with all the above post-ers to not use soap, to use mild temp water & apply lotion immediately after wards to Lock In the excess water left on our skin.

I seem to get it on the upper part of my body as well, behind ears, scalp, neck (after touching latex) face, eyelids, I use to get in behind the knees & folds of my arms when younger...probably because of PE class? I try not to sweat even when exercising due to eczema. Glad I live in CA for that reason alone:wink:

I'm wondering if their is any Anti Aging Products for Eczema suffers???:flowerforyou: If anyone knows please let me know I would very much appreciate it:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Coconut Oil.

mmm coconut oil! this might be a stupid question but are you referring to putting in on my skin? It's the only oil i'll cook with so i have tons! I guess its not that stupid of a question i've put some pretty weird stuff on my skin before lol

Yep, I use it like lotion before a shower or bath in the winter when my skin is really bad...just be mindful that a little goes a loooooong way (it's a slippery business).
  • Grokette
    Options

Coconut Oil.

Yes, melt some in a bowl (little goes a long way) and right after shower slather it on like you would your lotion. It is not greasy and it penetrates the skin deeply.)

As I mentioned, I have told this to multiple co-workers and their eczema has not come back.
  • thelgeson
    Options
    What does anyone put on their scalp? I have it bad in my hair, but I don't want to end up with grease head.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    it runs in our family ... we get it around our noses ... If we go to the doctor to get cream it works. I use athelte foot cream its WAY cheaper than the stuff we get from the doctor and we looked at the ingredients its similar. I think psoriasis is different for everyone gotta try to find something that works for you. Also if I go to a tanning bed it goes away. I try not to use them though unless I am in like a wedding party or something.
  • Grokette
    Options
    What does anyone put on their scalp? I have it bad in my hair, but I don't want to end up with grease head.

Coconut Oil on the scalp and wash your hair in the morning. natural conditioner at the same time as healing.

My husband and I use coconut oil for our hair, skin and cooking.............We use it for hair conditioner, moisturizer, shaving cream.