New <3

Options
I'm new and was wondering how long does it take to lose 30 pounds? I'm 18 & I am going to exercise at least 4 times a week.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't lose more then 2 pounds a week but most want it now even though it took much longer to put it on. Best advise is don't diet, change your habits to healthier selections and the weight will take care of it's self.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    How tall and how much do you weigh, first of all? Make sure to check your BMI to ensure you aren't trying to get to an unhealthy weight. (Tools > BMI calculator)

Also, exercising alone is NOT going to do it. You need to eat right. Input everything you eat on here, and make sure you aren't underestimating your food and overestimating your exercise calories - this is a common problem!

30 pounds is a good amount, and like Amarillo said, the max you should lose in a week is 2 pounds, but that would require a strict eating and exercising routine (I'm not sure what your routine is right now, but if you are just starting out, jumping right into 2 pounds a week is probably not the best option, and is much harder to get used to). MFP "recommends" 1 pound per week, which is I think the average amount, and muuuch easier to do. Take what MFP gives you to eat each day and do NOT go under 1200 calories!!! If you go under that amount, you are only hurting yourself, as your body will go into "starvation mode" and hold ONTO the fat instead of burning it. You need to FUEL your body in order to lose weight, and that means you need to EAT (healthy of course!)

Take full body measurements (waist, thighs, arms, everything), get a scale, and weigh yourself once a week at the same time of the day each time (best is in the morning after you pee - in your birthday suit). Don't overweigh yourself, it will only make you neurotic. Weight can fluctuate 2-3 pounds depending on your last meal, how much water you've drank, your last bowel movement, and whether it is 'that time of month' - which is why I think taking measurements is a great way to see progress - especially if you are building up muscle, you may weigh the same, but that weight is going to be less fat, more muscle, and you should be able to see that in your measurements, and the way your clothes fit!

hope this helps! :)
  • jMfxO
    jMfxO Posts: 9
    Options
    I weigh 155 & I am 5'6''. I don't have measurement's although I am planning to have them up soon. Over the summer of '09 I was down to 135 and still felt fat, I look at pictures and can't wait to be that size again. Although, some said I didn't look right.
  • Joeysgirl
    Options
    Yeah.. what Molly said! Honestly, she is 100% right, and it is just what I would have told you as well. Eat well, exercise and muscle will replace the fat. That muscle tissue will increase your metabolism making you burn more calories all the time. Once you get some lean muscle built up you will be burning fat like its no one's business! Make sure you eat enough and eat good fuel food that your body needs to repair itself. good luck!
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Very important to watch what you eat as well as working out. I would say that your diet is even more important. Don't worry about what other's say as long as you feel and look good and you are going for a healthy weight. I have that same problem. At 190lbs my family thinks that I look good. Granted, even at that weight I'm in a size 10, there is no way that this weight is healthy for me and I'm going for 160 and at 5'8 that is the top of the range for me.
  • Mollydolly10
    Options
    I weigh 155 & I am 5'6''. I don't have measurement's although I am planning to have them up soon. Over the summer of '09 I was down to 135 and still felt fat, I look at pictures and can't wait to be that size again. Although, some said I didn't look right.

Your weight loss goals are totally reasonable according to your stats! You are at the TOP of the "healthy weight" range at 155, and wanting to lose 30 pounds would put you at 125 lbs - which is great! :)

Your BMI is: 25.0
    Target weight range: 114.6 - 154.9 lbs

A BMI from 18.5 to 25.0 is considered "healthy" for your size and height. Going under 18.5% body fat would be "unhealthy" - although I know body builders and such do this

Another small thing to remember is... even when I was at a "healthy weight" on the lower end, I may not have liked the way my body LOOKED, I felt untoned, flabby, etc. - the point being, I didn't need to lose anymore WEIGHT, what I needed to do was build some more muscle, strengthen my core, and do some strength training! Don't neglect the weights! You don't want to be "skinny fat" (which is where even though you are skinny, you still look flabby!)
  • Mollydolly10
    Options
    Very important to watch what you eat as well as working out. I would say that your diet is even more important. Don't worry about what other's say as long as you feel and look good and you are going for a healthy weight. I have that same problem. At 190lbs my family thinks that I look good. Granted, even at that weight I'm in a size 10, there is no way that this weight is healthy for me and I'm going for 160 and at 5'8 that is the top of the range for me.

Totally know what you mean - you can tell family members "thanks for the compliment, but I am trying to get my BMI into the healthy range for my height and weight, which for me, my goal is 160 pounds"

Your current BMI is 28.9, which falls into the "over" category (ranging from 25-30), with your target rate (healthy range) going from 121.7 - 164.4 pounds, so a goal of 160 pounds is BEYOND reasonable, and do-able!! 160 would put you at a healthy BMI of 24.3 :)

Great job on sticking to what you need to do :)