Having my wisdom teeth out (advice)

Options
2»

Replies

• jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 out, 2 impacted. I expected the worst, but it wasn't bad. I ate steak that same night.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Lots of people having all four out. In the UK I think they tend to only remove them if they cause a problem. Is it standard to have them all out as routine in other countries?

In the USA, it's pretty common for dentists/oral surgeons to tell patients that it's not a matter of IF they'll have trouble w/them, but WHEN. They'll say you should have them out in your early 20's or the roots get more involved, which would require more digging later. But recent studies say many have no problems, even if they're impacted.

I learn something new every day :smile:
    All true and I am guilty of thinking that what is true in the U.S. is true elsewhere. It just so happens that I've always had dentists who agreed that they should be left in if not causing problems. Well, I'm 60 and they are still fine!

Pleased I'm in th UK mine are staying put. Touch wood no problems with any of mine and fast approaching 37 years on this spinning rock.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Touch wood no problems with any of mine

I read that as Torchwood.

Mine were so bad. I had 8 wisdom teeth removed, plus a ninth that was cracked because of the impaction. I was on soft foods for 2 weeks before and 2 months after because my jaw had to be shaved to get some of them out.

DO NOT DRINK WITH A STRAW. Stuff like fruit smoothies and milkshakes is good, and you can eat them with a spoon. Mashed potatoes. My mom made me mac and cheese that she ran through the blender. Jello. You might drop more weight unintentionally.

Good luck! x
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Lots of people having all four out. In the UK I think they tend to only remove them if they cause a problem. Is it standard to have them all out as routine in other countries?

I have been recommended to get all 4 out. 2 are impacted and 2 are fully out. Ever since I was 15 I feel they've pushed that on me. I am only geting the 2 of mine that are fully out removed due to cavities I have in them. I will leave my 2 impacted ones in until they cause problems for me.
    I live in the US and everyone I know who's had wisdom teeth out did all 4 right away.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 out about 15 years ago (they were all impacted)... the best piece of advance anyone gave me was to apply ice to the area on the outside of your mouth. The area will swell, which will make it harder to open your mouth. It's not fun, but just take it easy and listen to the instructions give by your oral surgeon.
  • Mexs
    Mexs Posts: 5
    Options
    I had a wisdom tooth out last Thursday. There was quite a bit of tugging but they quickly came out. The worst thing was the cracking noise. There was no pain and just a bit of throbbing for about 3 days but manageable with paracetamol. The salt washes kept the area clean and it is healing well. Nowhere near as bad as I thought and taken out under local anaesthetic. Hope it all goes well for you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My son had to have 4 teeth out that were impacted. A nurse friend advised "plenty of protein for fast healing". On a soft diet that meant plenty of protein shakes. And because the pain meds cause constipation, we put a lot of fruit in the protein shakes.

If yours are not impacted, then you probably won't have the pain meds, but plenty of protein is still recommended.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I got all 4 out at once....no straws or smoking(if you do smoke) to prevent dry socket. start with soft foods and move up. Make sure to rinse properly after ever meal to prevent any food from staying in sockets and causing infection. I don't remember having much pain after everything wore off but I do remember I looked for a chipmunk for a bit lol good luck! :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I'm in the UK. My ex dentist whipped all 4 of mine out at 19. Didn't have any problems with them at the time. Although I have Mr Ed style teeth so slight overcrowding. He used the "in the future may cause an issue" line. He seemed pretty keen on the idea :grumble:
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I had my two lowers out in January. They were two of the worst placed wisdom teeth my dentist had seen. One was completely sideways and the other was tilted backwards and a little to the side. When I saw my X-Ray I couldn't help but burst out laughing. I was told I would need to be sedated as it would be a "tricky" one. Well you can imagine, I'm your average scaredy cat! I spent the week running up to it not able to sleep.

WELL! The procedure itself was a breeze, honestly. I only remember getting the IV and saying " Im doing great so far, everyone. " then next thing I remember is being in the chair at home. Thank God.

That week I had stew and mash, pasta, soup, noodles, etc. Basically the same things as ever, just less of. I missed my stitches so much when they dissolved. I was enjoying playing with them with my tongue for a few weeks!

My only complication was an abscess that developed about 4 days after. But I'm pretty certain that's because I never washed with salty water or mouth wash. So that was the most painful part, which I don't remember much, as I popped 2 Cocodamol every 4 hours like clockwork for 2 days. So remember to sterilise the area 3 or more times a day and you will be just fine, like I COULD have been!

Roundup:

Procedure: Fine!
    Days after: Swelling, pain is manageable. Sorest part is the first day.
    Pain: Should go after 2 days. ( If you take care! )
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth out a few hours ago. So far I feel fine, I was going to take a pain pill because it started hurting, but the frozen yogurt I'm eating has soothed the pain.