Is this achievable

Options
Hi there

Just looking for some encouragement really! I want to lose weight and achieve my goals without the obsession and bad feeling that comes with dieting and depriving yourself - I hope I can do it as I like to exercise and I want to reach my goals, I think it will make me happier - is my fitness pal an achievable way to do and still live life??

Replies

• Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is a great way to do it.
    I've been on here a yr and I've lost 10 lbs not great but I am happy with this because before this I wasn't doing it on my own.
    It support is pretty great.
    Good luck.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Yes. Free, easy, effective.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between cleaning up your diet to put yourself in a safe caloric deficit and 'depriving yourself'. Just saying...
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    Sure. I've been losing weight while not eliminating anything from my diet; just smaller portions and a marginal increase of my exercise level pre-MFP.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    What was the question?

Women-s---IIFYM---Deadlifts---Squats---Bench-Press.jpg

20130803-190716.jpg
  • yogapantsandsmiles
    yogapantsandsmiles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think that you just need to keep that happy medium. Realize that things aren't going to change overnight. I find that MFP keeps me accountable, and it really makes you look at what you're eating. While it's easy to worry and obsess, as long as you remind yourself that these things make time, and you don't starve yourself, then it's a great tool.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    is my fitness pal an achievable way to do and still live life??

yes.
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi there laurend0603 - YES!! I think it is achievable! Pretty much all the tools are here on the site that you need to get started, and motivating friends are around to keep you going...you just have to find them! I just started last month too, but I'm having some success with lots more to come. Add me as a friend if you like and I will find you some more ladies that will cheer you on in my Christmas group. Get ready to make some positive changes towards your goals :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It can be a very useful tool, but it sounds like you may have other issues ("obsession and bad feelings") related to food that you should address. MFP can help you be aware, but sometimes there are other issues you should address in tandem. Best of luck to you.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tools, accountability, and challenges. It's everything you need to keep in track.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Just looking for some encouragement really! I want to lose weight and achieve my goals without the obsession and bad feeling that comes with dieting and depriving yourself - I hope I can do it as I like to exercise and I want to reach my goals, I think it will make me happier - is my fitness pal an achievable way to do and still live life??

It seems like you might be saying you don't want to change your eating habits, and would like to lose weight through exercise alone...but in reality, weight loss is mostly about how many calories you consume each day. However...you CAN lose weight without feeling like you are depriving yourself. You can eat anything you want, in moderation. Count calories and make sure you are eating at a deficit...focus on mostly healthy nutritious food, but you can also include the treats you love.
  • SmarTam
    SmarTam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mu inderstanding says that clean and healthy eating habbits take time to develop. Give your self some time and do not be harsh on your self. One trick is to find a healthier option or substitute of your guilt food. Like I have replaced my ice cream with flavoured yogurt, although it is high in sugar but not as high in fats and sugar in an ice cream. When I feel like some fizz, i go to sparkling water instead of a juice or soft drink. And I am trying to be active overall, not just smashing a workout, but it is all about changing your sedentry life style to an active one. I try and walk to office instead of taking bus. Take stairs, have green tea instead of coffee. And it is important to have a little bit of your favourite poison. I like to indulge myself in a treat every weal for one meal. And enjoy small treats every now and then like a couple of chocolate blocks, a extra serve oy rice. So its 80% good and 20% naughty for me most of the times. Hope this helps and Gud Luck.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between cleaning up your diet to put yourself in a safe caloric deficit and 'depriving yourself'. Just saying...

In your 20's correct.

As you get older, incorrect.

You only know the experience of your own body and no one else's.

I can tell you in my 20's I could halfass watch my calories and lose 1/4 lb a day easy.

In my late 30's now, if Im running any deficit I feel miserable. I'm wound up, nervous, irritable, and generally miserable all the time.

I could run a deficit in my 20's and not even notice. As you stated.
  • laurend0603
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advise. I think my problem is I expect myself to be perfect all the time so need to work on that but feel better when in some sort of controlled plan - mfp seems easiest as you can search any food or exercise and I agree with the above the last time I lost weight I was 18 I was dropping 3-3.5 lb a week - now although only 25 finding it harder and slower