Why is there so much home schooling?

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just to add an alternative point of view here. I have been a public school teacher for 38 years. I have taught high school and middle school, grades 7-12. I have taught English, a Reading, French, Journalism, Study Skills. I have had gifted kids, honors kids, remedial kids, special needs kids. Yes, I can meet the needs of 12-old ADHD boys. I have sponsored reading clubs, knitting clubs, creative writing clubs. I've put on school dances, published the yearbook, made crepes in the home ec room with two dozen kids. I've driven a van full of kids to workshops and taken 35 kids to Paris. My colleagues and I are passionate, well-trained and competent.

Among many reasons to attend public school is the opportunity to learn from many different teachers who are trained and passionate about that subject. That is what I wanted my own daughters to have. They are products of public education and they are now well-educated, successful adults.

As far as safety, you are safer in a public school than almost anywhere, certainly safer than you are in a vehicle on a public road.

Don't believe all the fear-mongering about the dismal state of public education. Come and visit, any time.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We'll probably "home school" for part or all of 1st grade, but that's because we plan on spending 3-4 months in a caravan/RV driving around Oz, then will be moving to the US (I'm an American living in Australia). After that, we'll be carefully selecting our new home to be in a good, progressive public district...but we're lucky to be able to do that.

Here, somewhere around 1% of kids are being home schooled, most "illegally," which means they haven't registered with the education ministry. Non-govt (private, catholic, etc) schools are huge here. Over a third of kids attending schools are in non-govt schools.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I hate having my kids in the public school system, however, I do not feel i am equipped to homeschool 5 children, and fear I would be setting them up for failure. That being said, I am currently homeschooling my oldest daughter, who is 15, as a discapline for her. See, she is a social butterfly, going to school for her is fun, she is popular, friends with everyone, all the boys like her, and she views it as a social event. Fine, fine... But, she broke i big rule this summer, and so her discapline was no school for this year... its driving her insane, and having me as her teacher, is driving her even more insane... Win win for me... Just kidding, but seriously, I am using this as a discapline for her, and once this year is over, I will stop homeschooling her, and send her back to school.
  • mreimer102
    mreimer102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are so many pros that we have seen, and not very many cons, at least in our home. Schools are getting the pc's in the classroom, and with the Common Core coming in, many kids will soon be taught online, just like home schoolers today. I love it. I had an ADHD kid that I had to home school years ago. He could not sit still and was failing in all classes. The school had a meeting with us and told us: "you get him on medication, or we will take you to court." We elected to pull him out., and he was home schooled all throughout high school. Now it s my 14 yr old daughter and what a joy it is to see her learn, her way, on her time schedule, and choose other things she wants to do, like art and music. We do so many fun things with her and in one year, she will be going to Germany as a foreign exchange student. Just love it!
    Melba
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't think you all know anything about the Common Core Standards. Now that I have had 60 hours of training, I can tell you that it will not mean that kids will sit in school and take classes on a computer. Mostly, it means an emphasis in argumentative and expository writing, close textual reading, and more reading of informational text.
  • Rakalze
    Rakalze Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think also a lot of parents have autistic or children with certain problems that make it hard for them to be in a public school. some places don't have the resources to school these special cases
  • mreimer102
    Options
    That is also my main reason, besides what we went through with our daughter's bullying. I want her to learn at her own pace and not get a book that has been rewritten. The new curriculum coming in, will teach them that they belong to the community, or global citizenship. They do not belong to their parents. History will be rewritten, specifically about the USA. No pilgrims at Thanksgiving, no celebration of Christmas; the undermining of religious beliefs. I just want them to learn and keep the Govt politics out of it.
    Melba
  • mreimer102
    Options
    As a teacher myself, I know many great teachers in our schools, but our district itself is another matter.
  • sjfugatt1
    sjfugatt1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My two oldest children attended public school for many years. My oldest son was considered to be in 7th grade Special Ed classes while my daughter (a year younger) was in regular classes. They decided he should skip 6th grade to "be with other kids his own age". We had him held back in 1st grade because he wasn't on grade level with the other kids. After my son dealt with the PE teacher bullying him in front of other kids and being jumped in the boys bathroom by two boys whose parents were "important assets to the community", I decided I had had enough of them going to school to get bullied and beat up instead of being educated. My daughter was in a 6th grade math class with a teacher who watched soap operas and burned scented candles instead of teaching the students. I was having to teach her math every day after school anyway, so I decided to make it official. After pulling them both out of public school, we found that my son had been doing coloring sheets in his "Special Ed" classes instead of actually being helped with the subjects he was struggling with. He never had homework and never read in front of us. I pulled them out in December and realized that my son couldn't even read, tell time, nothing. I taught him to read, write, do math, tell time, etc. He finally got on the same level with my daughter, and I was able to teach them both on the same grade level from then on. He graduated at the age of 17 with a 3.75 GPA, and my daughter graduated at the age of 15 with a 3.95 GPA. She started college that fall to earn a degree in Homicide Investigation.

While homeschooling my oldest two children, I started my youngest out homeschooling when he was 4. He's now 13, and in the 9th grade. He's big time into 4-H with archery and the shooting range and plays baseball. He's working towards an advance degree for graduation. We are Christians, but with our homeschool group, you don't have to be any certain type of religion. I like knowing that my child has learned (and is learning) instead of coloring or being bullied by other kids his age (or teachers), and knowing that he never has to be scared of someone shooting, stabbing, or blowing him up inside a public school building. Homeschooling isn't for everyone though. You have to have a lot of patience and understanding to deal with teaching your child (or children) every day.
  • mreimer102
    Options
    I agree with you. Schools should start young and teach them for their future career, from the elementary level. No, even as a Christian, I don't home school because I do not believe in evolution. I was taught that growing up as a Christian teen. Never bothered me what the school said about that; but I do have a concern for the bullying, guns, gangs, drugs, and peer pressure to dress, and act like everyone else. When my daughter was in the public school setting, she saw kids who were ostersized because they looked a certain way, were plain looking, and were even made fun of because they did not wear the top brand name clothes. Her girl peers poked fun of her friends and my daughter. They even got on Facebook to put my daughter down and some of her friends. This is wrong. How else can it be stopped and who is going to do it? There are so many reasons.
    My husband used to drive bus and shared how innocent the new kindergartners were and how sweet they seemed; but within a few years, that same child was bashing, and cussing other kids on the bus. Wonder where so many of them learned how to do that?
  • mreimer102
    Options
    Another good reason to home school.
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    US schools now can make medical decisions regarding your children's healthcare thanks to our horrible president. My daughter is now homeschooling her kids because she doesn't want the government in her children's healthcare or have government propaganda taught to her kids and I don't blame her.

What kind of medical decisions can they make for your kids? What are you talking about?

They are now able to legally take your middle school daughter in for an abortion without any parental consent. It's law here in Florida. How do people NOT know this? Yeah, no aspirin, but an abortion is fine. Sadly, I am not kidding. Out.

Not true:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ppsoflo/teens-seeking-abortion-services-32356.htm

In fact in 2004 FL passed a constitutional amendment requiring parental notification.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    I've been away from The States for a few years, and am fascinated by this discussion. Thanks OP for posting!

Of course, I am fascinated with this too. I am an American raising kids in the Japanese public school system.

From a lot of posts on here, seems like fear , of being indoctrinated, of medical issues, of bad teachers, too conservative, too liberal. and such are the driving forces for a lot of homeschoolers.

Sounds like homeschool can be good if you have the time and the money to stay home and do it. Or it can be bad. Just like public school.

I really like it when people say, I don`t believe in evolution but I taught it as a theory. Well, it is called the theory of evolution. You don`t have to believe. It is a series of facts that lead to a logical conclusion. I think you could still value Christian morality and value science at the same time.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There is a bit of fear mongering going on in here, though.
  • mreimer102
    Options
    What can the govt schools do? Forced vaccinations, for one and against parental knowledge. Pushing flu vaccines and pushing the Gardisal vaccine now, on both boys and girls. Girls have passed out, and one girl died right after the shot; and her parents did not have knowledge that it was being done at the school. Their agenda.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Maybe things are different in the States now. I'm in Canada.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    I hate having my kids in the public school system, however, I do not feel i am equipped to homeschool 5 children, and fear I would be setting them up for failure. That being said, I am currently homeschooling my oldest daughter, who is 15, as a discapline for her. See, she is a social butterfly, going to school for her is fun, she is popular, friends with everyone, all the boys like her, and she views it as a social event. Fine, fine... But, she broke i big rule this summer, and so her discapline was no school for this year... its driving her insane, and having me as her teacher, is driving her even more insane... Win win for me... Just kidding, but seriously, I am using this as a discapline for her, and once this year is over, I will stop homeschooling her, and send her back to school.

I am very curious as to what she did, and how this punishment will benefit her. Could you elaborate?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I am very curious as to what she did, and how this punishment will benefit her. Could you elaborate?

Yeah, wow...taking her out of school for a year seems a pretty harsh punishment (I don't mean harsh like child abuse), just a big deal, long time thing to do. I've never heard of anyone removing a kid from school for punishment.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    I don't think you all know anything about the Common Core Standards. Now that I have had 60 hours of training, I can tell you that it will not mean that kids will sit in school and take classes on a computer. Mostly, it means an emphasis in argumentative and expository writing, close textual reading, and more reading of informational text.

I also want to thank you Sherry for commenting. It seems you are the only teacher to comment so far. I teach (ESL) in Japan. I am very passionate about it. It takes a lot of time and effort and interest to be a professional. Getting paid to teach drives me to work even harder. I am not good at math at all. I can`t imagine my kids learning math from me. Plus, each adult (teacher) had different interests to share with me. I learned about Gone with the Wind and old films in the 8th grade, just because my teacher loved them. It is still a great memory for me. After seeing the film in class, I read the whole book. It is a tome.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. I am not a village, I am one person with my own interests. I can share those readily, but I won`t be able to share every subject to an equal degree. We do our best to teach.

Homeschooling sounds like a perfect fit in some instances. ( gifted kids, kids living in very rural areas, kids with behavioral problems)
    It also sounds like an excuse to foist your personal opinion of politics down your kids throat. Even if you don`t really think so. You are the only example they have. You or the like minded people you choose for them to visit.

did any of you see Victoria from America`s Next Top Model? She was painfully unequipped to deal with the crabbiness of her fellow models. Maybe that was just her....
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Common core