• lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks!

BUMP!!!
  • rrobsgirl
    rrobsgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    God bless you sweetly for doing all this work for us. It makes so much sense to me. I have actually put it into practice. In the past I lost a good deal of weight because I was weight training an hour a day and doing aerobics an hour a day, with no dietary change. I lost ten pounds a month by so doing. A year ago I started dieting. I had to adjust the nutritional content of my food for health reasons. I began working on developing a lifestyle based on this new regimen. I lowered my caloric intake to half of what I was eating (I was overeating) but I didn't exercise in an effort to track the efficiency of the new dietary changes.

With a deficit of 1000 calories a day, I am only losing a litlle less than a pound a week. In the previous regimen, I lost 2.5 lbs a week and I felt energetic, healthy and in control. On my current focus on diet...no exercise, I am tired, have no energy, am not losing weight very quickly and have recently been fighting depression which is unfounded to my lifestyle and circumstances. I thank you for your information, it answers a good many questions for me. I will now increase my calories to a sustainable healthy amount and increase my gym time accordingly. Your research is invaluable and I thank you from the bottom of my currently chubby little heart.
  • lass22
    lass22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :happy: thanks for the intelligent discussion.
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In case you did not see it, there is an HBO documentary - The weight of the nation - where Adaptive Thermogenesis is discussed.

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A you can see a study designed by dr. Rosenbaum and Liebel. They talk about a 20% reduction caused by AT, so higher than the 10-15% cited before.

Dr. Rosenbaum affirms "[...] this efficiency will persist, probably for the rest of your life" and dr. Liebel adds "[...] the effect never goes away". Granted, their study lasted 9 months, so maybe they are not in a position to make such strong claims, but still...

Can anyone suggest any study regarding diet breaks effect? They are usually indicated as a strategy to contrast AT but I couldn't find any data about it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Can anyone suggest any study regarding diet breaks effect? They are usually indicated as a strategy to contrast AT but I couldn't find any data about it.

You will want to do some reading by Lyle McDonald.
    He refers to it as a refeed. Also, a lot of that has to do with the hormone leptin, so do some reading on that.
    His site:: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Lots of good info there.
  • coccodrillo72
    Options
    Thank you Max, I knew Lyle McDonald website and indeed I found useful information, I just seem to have missed the actual studies on the refeed effect on Adaptive Thermogenesis: I'll check again.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you Max, I knew Lyle McDonald website and indeed I found useful information, I just seem to have missed the actual studies on the refeed effect on Adaptive Thermogenesis: I'll check again.

And thank you for that video series. very enlightening.

I agree with you too, study is 9 months, how could they say for life.

Also love the fact they went to an 800 calorie diet from what, say 2000 or more according to the ladies description of the way she ate.

Why are the studies with a reasonable deficit so few, perhaps they did have some on a protocol of smaller deficit?
  • Foosday
    Options
    Following.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • coccodrillo72
    Options
    Why are the studies with a reasonable deficit so few, perhaps they did have some on a protocol of smaller deficit?

I may be wrong, but I think it has to do with the time frame of most studies: it's faster to use a very low calories intake so that you can see and record significant results in a few months, instead of having to wait a full year or more.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
  • joellevh
    joellevh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump will read later.

What about weight loss surgery patients? Any difference?
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    bump for new people.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting - bumping to read later
  • Fit_Lean_Priya
    Fit_Lean_Priya Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting! great read and clarifies a lot :)