Ugh...Jail Food is Terrible.

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    On your rest days inside, do yoga, particularly focusing on trying the harder stuff to continually build strength/muscle eg crow, hand stands.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it is in prison but I'd imagine you'd be quite sedentary...

It's just jail...not prision :happy:

interesting

in British English they're the same thing. What's the difference in the USA?

ETA: just saw someone had posted the Webster's definition above. In the UK jail/prison is where you go after trial, before trial you're on remand (or released on bail) and you're in a remand prison
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    On your rest days inside, do yoga, particularly focusing on trying the harder stuff to continually build strength/muscle eg crow, hand stands.

Like this idea. You already have a 5 inch yoga mat at your disposal. :wink:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

:laugh: That was at the back of my mind.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Prison is typically for people serving a year or more, and they don't have work release. It's for major offenses or repeat offenders, usually. Minor infractions or shorter terms are often served in jail instead.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

And there is the silver lining! :smile:
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    how do you get internet in jail!?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

She is on work release for the weekends.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    So, I guess if it were me I would eat half my meals. If the nurse told you that their general menu is around 2800 calories, then you eat half of each meal, that puts you at 1400. Give or take a few, obviously, because they are not following the same meal guide every meal. With your work release, you are getting exercise, and you can do body weight exercises in you cell. This should be okay for you until you are released.
  • ktlinn4
    ktlinn4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

She is on work release for the weekends.

That is correct...work release for 5 outta 7 days...so not terrible...

And the gals talking bout the 5 in yoga mat............GENIUS! :happy:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You said that you ate very little processed foods before you went in. Did you limit your sodium too? If you are used to low sodium levels, then the probably really high levels in their food would cause you to gain water weight. Does your belly look flabbier? But the rest of you look smaller? You may have lost some fat but its hidden under the bloat.

I would say the most important thing here is to figure out what you want to do with your life so this doesn't happen again. A couple pounds either way aren't that big of a deal in the long run, but in and out of jail is. Think about how you can make positive changes. Can you get an education? Learn a trade/skill like electrician or welding? Get help for any alcohol/drug/mental/depression/etc problem that you may have?
  • ktlinn4
    Options
    I would say the most important thing here is to figure out what you want to do with your life so this doesn't happen again. A couple pounds either way aren't that big of a deal in the long run, but in and out of jail is. Think about how you can make positive changes. Can you get an education? Learn a trade/skill like electrician or welding? Get help for any alcohol/drug/mental/depression/etc problem that you may have?

Thanks for this. I have already made some huge positive changes already. I'm well-educated and am not an "in&out of jail" type of person. A few dumb mistakes have cost me a lot and I refuse to let anything even close to this experience happen again! :smile: And the pounds do count...the better shape I get myself in, the better I feel about myself which means the booze can stay on someone else's shelf!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it is in prison but I'd imagine you'd be quite sedentary...

It's just jail...not prision :happy:

interesting

in British English they're the same thing. What's the difference in the USA?

ETA: just saw someone had posted the Webster's definition above. In the UK jail/prison is where you go after trial, before trial you're on remand (or released on bail) and you're in a remand prison

I was thinking it must be something along the lines of a bail hostel.

Apparently this is how the American system works in terms of jail.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=45774
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    If you are on work release for 5 out of 7 days, does that mean that you are in jail for 2 out of 7 days? If so then those 2 days eating that food should be manageable throughout the rest of the week? Or maybe I am misunderstanding something? If so, I'm sorry :smile:
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you are on work release for 5 out of 7 days, does that mean that you are in jail for 2 out of 7 days? If so then those 2 days eating that food should be manageable throughout the rest of the week? Or maybe I am misunderstanding something? If so, I'm sorry :smile:

She leaves (probably with a work crew) during the day on those days and then returns to the facility in the evening.

I agree with somebody else that sodium is likely to blame at least in part.

Also, try pacing in your cell as much as you can. Just to keep moving.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

1) not eating "Processed food" is just trendy. You can be perfectly lean eating all kinds of processed crap. Take it from me. Eating in a deficit is what counts. That and hitting your macros (try to make protein-heavy meal choices)

2) You are now probably more sedentary than you were before. Your TDEE has probably decreased - you need to slightly reduced the overall volume of food you consume

3) You are trying to "wing" insanity. When you do it along with the video, you are trying to keep up. You are probably not bring as much intensity to the workout as you did before. You might think you are, but I guarantee you are not. How are you calculating these calories burnt? Something to look at.

My suggestions: cut back slightly on your eating. Up your protein. Reduce your TDEE setting in mfp slightly and up your protein goal to 1gm/1lb of bodyweight. Enter less calories for your workout - it's better to underestimate than overestimate.

Of course, you could alternatively use this as an opportunity to continue to eat at, or above maintenance, for a while and just focus on your physical fitness. Then, when you diet is more under your own control, focus back in on it like a laser.

Main thing is: you are trying to make the best of your current situation. Chin up. You'll be out soon.
  • ktlinn4
    Options

3) You are trying to "wing" insanity. When you do it along with the video, you are trying to keep up. You are probably not bring as much intensity to the workout as you did before. You might think you are, but I guarantee you are not. How are you calculating these calories burnt? Something to look at.

Hi! Thanks for your input! I agree with the TDEE probably being lower. Working on figuring out how to be a bit more active (besides working out) the days I'm locked up all day.

I only quote you to say that I am definitely not "winging" Insanity. I've written down the work outs move for move and watch the clock. In fact...I've switched to counting sets of some of the moves (suicides, level1,2,3 drills etc...) which usually take me longer to do than the allotted minute/45 seconds. I'm still sweating my *kitten* off and can just about wring sweat out from my clothes. I used an HRM for the 1st 2 months and was burning more than the input I was logging, so I figure it's roughly similar and if I'm burning more, all the better. :smile:

And for all those that keep bringing it up...I'm out for 10 hours 5 days a week, which means I eat most of my food in the jail!!
  • teddybonkerz
    teddybonkerz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i guess a good suggestion would be dont get put in jail.. just my opinion though :P
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    i guess a good suggestion would be dont get put in jail.. just my opinion though :P

Helpful first post.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Jail food is low nutrition and being locked up, you're not getting much activity besides your workout. Even people who are sedentary still walk around some. Hard to walk in a cell.

On a side note: when certain people on here say processed food will kill them, I have to disbelieve it because we have death row inmates and convicted murders who have long term sentences living off the poor quality processed foods. They aren't dying fast enough for us.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition