Fast Breakfast for a busy mom

Options
Hi All! My maternity leave ends in a few weeks and I need some tips on what kind of quick breakfast I can fix. I have to get up early to get my newborn ready and my 4 year old ready , not to mention get myself ready and find it very hard to make a healthy breakfast for myself. Any tips?

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    my go to is.. an Eggo nutrigrain whole wheat waffle with crunchy peanut butter and a little honey.
  • keri30
    keri30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    string cheese, special k cereal bars, granola bars, yogurt, 100 calorie packs...all quck and easy!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter on either a toasted waffle or slice of toast with berries in the middle. Raspberries + Blueberry Frozen Waffle= Joy
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    Some things you can do the night before. I read something about and omelet that you put the egg mixture in a ziplock bag then in the am you can add your veggies and toss it in a pot of boiling water...that way you can keep getting ready and your food is cooking at the same time.

Let me see if I can dig anything up.

This is yummy!! Nut Butter Banana Toast – this simple breakfast gives you a nutritious mixture of whole grains, protein and fruit, plus it tastes great. Simply spread a whole grain toast with your favorite nut butter and cut slices of banana on top.
  • sharonjeeves
    Options
    I can't answer but I also have a newborn and a 6 year old, I don't currently get time to have breakfast before the school run and then deal with little one when I get home so rarely have time for breakfast and sometimes even lunch. I would like an answer to this too. xx
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My go to is 1 bodywise bagel (140 calories) with cheese whiz (30 calories) can also be substituted for peanut butter if needed, but some days I do the cheese whiz on the bagel with a fried egg. Tastes like an egg mcmuffin type breakfast but is less calories :)

i love it!! i also eat fresh fruit with that.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    My new "breakfast dessert" I call it is a small carton of low fat chocolate yogurt mixed with slices of banana. It's like having a chocolate covered banana for less than 200 calories. It also helps me get my protein and calcium (which I need more of) right away.

I also like the Kashi bars - they are tasty.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, or just an apple. fruit is great, and can eat on the run
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi there! One MFP friend just mentioned Slim Fast! :happy: I take Special K 90 Calorie bars to work with me.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I have an 80 calorie Light and Fit yogurt with 50 calories (1/4 cup) of Kashi Go Lean Crunch Honey Almond Flax with a piece of fruit.
  • amandal15
    amandal15 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zissman
    Options
    Granny Smith apples! Delicious, and only pack about 80 calories per apple. Can't go wrong with that.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    if you like something can you make it the night before? I currently have no children but i do have to be at the hospital for school at 6:30 am. I pack my breakfast/ lunch the night before. (I actually break breakfast into two meals so i have a snack at 10 am- usually triscuit and string cheese) but my cereal (i like it dry) is portioned into the serving size in sandwich bags. i also do oatmeal (it only takes 5 minutes) or i make up my yogurt the night before (greek yogurt/fruit/honey/ almonds). finally i keep a drawer full of grab and go kashi cereal bars for rushed mornings. I tend to eat it on the road since it is such an early morning but those are my small tips.
  • KansasLake
    Options
    I agree. Right now, what works for me is a Special K bar after I've dropped the kids at daycare. I've also done the Slim-fast shakes/bars.
  • RobertsMommy
    RobertsMommy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always go for instant oatmeal it amazing for you takes less than 2 mins to get ready and with it I always have some kind of fruit and
    a half a sandwhich thin with the littlest bit of peanut butter on it. All together takes 5 mins!
  • Joscelle
    Options
    I like Kashi Go Lean cereal with protein (keeps me full) - maybe make up 1 cup serving baggies ahead of time and you just pour milk into it? Actually, I've been using my baby's Gerber bowls with lids and I just put milk in that I keep at work. I also like bananas and yogurt. Good luck.
  • Joscelle
    Options
    I like Kashi Go Lean cereal with protein (keeps me full) - maybe make up 1 cup serving baggies ahead of time and you just pour milk into it? Actually, I've been using my baby's Gerber bowls with lids and I just put milk in that I keep at work. I also like bananas and yogurt. Good luck.
  • beylover
    Options
    Hi
    I don't know how busy a mum can be but I have my breakfast in not more than 7 minutes. Just Kellogg "Fruit n Fibre" with milk and i have an Apple or any fruit i fancy on the go.
    Or i will prepare a fruit salad at night and just have in the morning.
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    If I have to leave early....I pack a piece of fruit (easy to eat in the car), and a Special K Protien Bar. I always have a spare (or 2) protein bars and a mini bottle of water now that it is cooled off in the car...you never know how your morning will turn out!
  • kkochend
    Options
    I get up to go to the gym at 5am. So I like to pack 100% Whole Wheat bagels and put 1 tablespoon of jelly into a snack sized baggie. (Cut one edge and squeeze onto the bagel) This is under 300 calories. I likie them toasted so I pop them in the toaster and let them cool in the toaster before packing them so they aren't soggy.

I also like to mix it up with a handful of nuts and 2-3 pieces of whole fruit. (Most people will argue that too many servings of fruit are bad, however I am Vegan and have had no issues with "too much fruit")

On days I do not have to work I like to cook a good breakfast and make a green smoothie. (Spinach, frozen fruit, hot water) These smoothies are under 150 calories a serving and taste just like fruit. So you have a serving of fruits and veggies for breakfast!