PCOS is a beast!

Options
I'm a mother of an 8 month old little guy and just getting back on keto, was on it before the pregnancy and lost 20lbs in about 3 months.. started down chunky road when I was 17 and PCOS decided it was time for me to be fat for the next decade. With my help, of course, we topped the scales at 301 eventually..or..so my scales said. They didn't actually go PAST 300 technically! So.. together we ate our fats and carbs in excess, developed a bunch of ugly health problems..and the PCOS just got worse. I tried various dieting fads, torture methods, regimens..and I got so much advice my head was spinning but I did go from 301 to 246 at least! Keto knocked me down to 209..then complications during pregnancy shot me back up to 250 abouts.. and I've worked my way down to 229 abouts now..

Well, I am glad to say that after a terrible, horrible, not-so-nice and near-death birth experience I've decided that I only have one life to live and I have to make the most of it.. if I'm not fit now then I'll regret not having taken hold of the time .. and if I wait it can only hurt things. So! For my son.. and for myself.. I have taken to going from dork to sexy. I have zero confidence as it stands but those first 5lbs of weight you lose from keto are always a confidence booster (even if it's only water!) and the cocktail of amazing you feel after exercise is helping to pick me up a lot.

I've been going at it for a month now and I started logging to push the weight loss more. I'm also in a whole new mindset and feel like for once my body is mine to tame. I'm going at C25k (on week 2 day 3,) took up some silly personal dance and I'm taking more walks with my son and after 17lbs down I can't complain.. not to mention my lungs feel great (even if my legs hurt, haha) my legs are already looking more toned (PCOS causes easier muscle gain, one nice side effect I guess) tachycardia seems to have disappeared.. and my blood pressure has dropped from 150/95 to 130/78 without medication .. that is the most amazing part for me. My only regret now is that I wish I had taken the initiative sooner and stopped listening to everyone that said exercise slows down weight loss ..which even though I understood why, always scared me into not doing it.

Thanks for reading! I wish you all good luck..may you find the drive for all that you seek to achieve!

Replies

• ladypetrus
    Options
    congratulations on your weight loss so far! I too have PCOS and unfortunately feel like I'm tempting fate by continuing to make poor choices. You'd think that knowing that this is a real problem would be serious enough for me to take control. Unfortunately sometimes it takes an experience like yours to scare us into perspective.

I'm right where you're at now and just getting started. Keep it up, it'll happen :)
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well as trying to lose weight is a killer!! Congrats on the weight loss and baby! You should join the PCOS group on here.
  • Truegoddess22
    Options
    This as well
    congratulations on your weight loss so far! I too have PCOS and unfortunately feel like I'm tempting fate by continuing to make poor choices. You'd think that knowing that this is a real problem would be serious enough for me to take control. Unfortunately sometimes it takes an experience like yours to scare us into perspective.

I'm right where you're at now and just getting started. Keep it up, it'll happen :)
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies! Welcome to my world :cry: I have yet to be diagnosed with PCOS, BUT I have allt he symtoms. When I was in my teens, I had to take little white pills to come on my period and was told I could never have children. I have serious embarrassing facial hair. I am currently seeing a electroylsis, but that is so slow. I understand what you are going thru. Feel free to add me for support :flowerforyou:
  • Truegoddess22
    Options
    The white pills were probably Provera. I've never had to take it but almost did at 1 point. Do you have a lot of hair or a little bit? I just have a few stubborn chin hairs nothing too bad.
    Good Morning Ladies! Welcome to my world :cry: I have yet to be diagnosed with PCOS, BUT I have allt he symtoms. When I was in my teens, I had to take little white pills to come on my period and was told I could never have children. I have serious embarrassing facial hair. I am currently seeing a electroylsis, but that is so slow. I understand what you are going thru. Feel free to add me for support :flowerforyou:
  • CrappyMornings
    Options
    Until I did the research I had no idea PCOS was as bad as it was.. I always thought it was a problem I could fix later.. and later..and later. It really did take a horrible experience to realize I was the only person keeping myself back
  • CrappyMornings
    Options
    PCOS is crazy! If you need help with the hair problems that come up they have medication that blocks androgens (which is what causes the hair thinning and the hirsutism) that I was never told about and found when I was doing some research for thinning hair. If you ask your doctor they can do a hormone panel and basically confirm your PCOS. Good luck with the electrolysis! I want to do that when I'm down in weight too.