What contributed to your weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Don't give up carbs, don't give up anything. It's fine to reduce the refined carbs if that is what you want to do but all that really counts is calories in versus calories out. I found walking good as I enjoy it and it's my time to zone out watching the ocean while burning some calories so I can eat more. No need to drink tons of water either, that is an old myth. Of course have some but you do get it from your foods and other drinks too so don't go worrying too much. If it helps though drink it more but no need to drink tons of water because you are hungry. You shouldn't be hungry anyhow while losing weight in the first place if you are eating the right amount of calories for you. DON'T starve yourself for this. You will only end up fat again later on.

I agree with everything you said, especially the drinking too much water part. Drinking too much can be detrimental to your heath.
  • change_21
    change_21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Paying attention to serving sizes to start. In the past I would just eat until my stomach was full (and even continue eating after that sometimes!)

When I lost 60-70lbs the first time I would eat a lot of soups(with or without oyster crackers/saltines), chicken breast with yellow mustard(the mustard has no calories and is very flavorful) fruit, nuts(in good portion as they're very high in calories) and I had a huge jug of water that I would keep with me and beside my bed at night. I'd try to drink a full jug at least every two days.

After awhile I found that some of the things I would eat before - using cookies as a good example, was in a way too flavorful for me anymore. My taste buds had calmed down and even a plain chicken breast would taste great to me, as I could taste it better than ever before since I stopped eating so much sugar and salt.

That's what worked for me. Changing it up a little this time around, but I might resort to that if I hit a stalemate.

Edit: I forgot my favorite thing to eat for breakfast. Egg toast. Just use the top of a cup to cut a hole in a piece of bread, stick it on a skillet, drop an egg in the middle and toast both sides. I'd add black pepper for flavor. I'd usually eat a piece or two for breakfast.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I think it is a math thing. Just watch your calories.

Also I am not a water drinker and got my weight down. I am a tea drinker though.
  • kteedid63
    Options
    My son got dignosed with cancer. The doctors gave him a 20 % chance to live. He had a come to Jesus talk with me concerning my weight . He told me he needed someone sane to take care of his son and if I contuined as I was, I would be dead. Yep thats the kick in the butt that started this. 100 pounds down 50 more to go.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Motivation: wanting to improve my speed on my bike. Since I live in hilly country, that meant losing the extra weight I was having to carry uphill. Sure, looking better and lowering blood pressure and cholesterol were also motives, but they were secondary.

Implementation: portion control, with the MFP app on my phone to help, and a kitchen scale. Also, daily weigh-ins followed by calculating an exponentially smoothed weighted average to identify the trend behind daily fluctuations (see the "Signal and Noise" chapter in http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/).

I haven't cut out any foods, though I'm eating less cheese than I used to, and having vegan food a bit more often because of cooking for a friend who's now vegan. Generally though, I'm just eating less of everything.
  • ANuSeason
    Options
    What a great topic to bring up! I am going to tag this for when I have a chance to come back and read it.
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I stop eating sugar! Let me tell you it was a turning point for both of us. He lost 35lbs and I lost 27lbs! The first 2 months were hard for me but once I passed that 2nd month I was good I don't even miss sweets. Good luck!!!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I joined Dietbet and I also water fast on Monday and Thursday each week.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later.

Loving this thread.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Staying within my calorie goal. Usually eat/drink whatever I feel like as long as i'm below my goal, seems to work out fine so far!
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When I started losing after my second son was born i started small... started drinking more water and set small goals (1-3 pounds) so it wouldnt seem so overwhelming. Then every week I just started cutting things out, no snacking between meals, smaller portions, no soda ect. Everyone has a body that works differently so my goals were for myself. I actually didnt even start working out until long after I lost a lot of the weight. If I happened to cheat I would not beat myself up over it. Everyone deserves a reward :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!