Goal!! So excited this morning

Options
Today I weighed in at 1 lbs under goal. I started my diet last March after going on vacation and discovering that nothing fit, that all the pictures of me looked horrible and I just felt awful. I'm 5'5" and weighed in at 182lbs, the highest weight I've ever been with the exception of being pregnant. I set my goal to lose 1lbs a week but found it difficult to lose in the beginning so I adjusted to 2lbs a week and reduced my calories to 1200. I set my goal weight to 140lbs, a weight I haven't seen in over 10 years. During the 7 months of dieting I found a good rhythm with my eating,creating a balance that allowed me to eat things I love while losing weight. I spend a lot of time planning my week so if I know I have something coming up on the weekend then I restrict my calories during the week to make room. If something came up that I didn't plan for then I'd cut my calories following the event to make up for it. I also took time off from calorie counting when I went camping a couple times during the summer. So all and all I'm really happy with my success.

So now what? Well when I weighed in this morning at 139 I decided to change my goal to 130 lbs. I still have this belly above and below my belly button and I have no idea how to get rid of it except with more fat loss.

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    congratulations girl that has to feel awesome!!! well done.
  • dianahoo
    dianahoo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fabulous way to start your day! Many congrats on making your goal and doing it sensibly!
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Congrats!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have also reset my goal weight a few times. We'll see where we end up...
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My husband laughed at me because I made him come see the number on the scale. And he laughed harder when I gave the scale the finger and said F*** You 140!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    So awesome!!!!!! I cannot wait to be at goal and say F U too! :bigsmile:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting below your original goal.

You need to make sure you are losing fat and not muscle going forward. If you still have too much belly fat at that weight, you have lost muscle. Add some strength training to your workouts. You might find this group interesting at this stage of your Journey

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Sounds like we're very simliar, except I'm not at my goal yet. I'm 5'5" and probably hit the low 180s in recent memory. I was too ashamed to actually step on the scales though so I was less by the time I actually started tracking it. I didn't start until July so I'm getting there, but I'm a bit behind you.
    Thanks for posting - makes me feel like it's possible I might actually get to my goal some day :)
  • Pipparuns
    Pipparuns Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband laughed at me because I made him come see the number on the scale. And he laughed harder when I gave the scale the finger and said F*** You 140!

Ha ha good to know I'm not the only one who talks to my scale. Congrats on your accomplishments. Has to feel so good. Hope to be in your spot soon!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

One thing to keep in mind when you stop a calorie deficit is that you'll gain a little weight, because your muscles will resume storing their full amount of glycogen, which is stored along with 3-4 times its weight in water. Nothing to worry about, but don't let it freak you out.
  • lavaughan69
    Options

You need to make sure you are losing fat and not muscle going forward. If you still have too much belly fat at that weight, you have lost muscle. Add some strength training to your workouts. You might find this group interesting at this stage of your Journey

Thanks for the link. I didn't think the body resorted to eating muscle when there is a fat store to deplete. I agree that strength training would be beneficial but that will just tone the muscle under the fat, not spot reduce. I don't think I still have belly fat because I've lost muscle instead...I think I still have belly fat because I'm turning 43 and my body stored more belly fat and holds onto it longer do to hormonal changes in peri-menopause.
  • acoustictones
    Options
    Awesome job!!! A HUGE CONGRATS!!!
  • lavaughan69
    Options
    Congratulations!

One thing to keep in mind when you stop a calorie deficit is that you'll gain a little weight, because your muscles will resume storing their full amount of glycogen, which is stored along with 3-4 times its weight in water. Nothing to worry about, but don't let it freak you out.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I'm going to try and lose more weight to give me some wiggle room.
  • Congratulations!
  • lionlady01
    lionlady01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for reaching your goal. I am doing the happy dance for you. Keep it going
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You did it. To get rid of that last bit you mentioned, you may want to check out the Intermittent Fasting books on Amazon. I purchased several of them. There are many ways you can do the calorie cutting. I'm sure you can find something that works for you. Great job!!
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Start adding some strength training for sure! I have trouble in my tummy area as well, partly due to a c-section from twins who are now 13, and I started doing weight training a little over a month ago and have noticed a big improvement in that area already even though I'm not at my goal weight yet. I have pants from last year when I was at the same weight I am now that are looser now than they were then because I am more toned due to the strength training. So I know it's made a difference! :smile:

Good luck!!! And congrats on hitting your initial goal weight!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. I didn't think the body resorted to eating muscle when there is a fat store to deplete. I agree that strength training would be beneficial but that will just tone the muscle under the fat, not spot reduce. I don't think I still have belly fat because I've lost muscle instead...I think I still have belly fat because I'm turning 43 and my body stored more belly fat and holds onto it longer do to hormonal changes in peri-menopause.

Take that initial response to heart...when you diet you lose both fat and muscle...even though you have fat stores, your muscle is a very expensive commodity and generally too expensive for fat stores to provide enough energy to preserve it as well as perform your other functions...if you aren't using it, your body assumes you don't need that very expensive commodity and it burns muscle for fuel...if you haven't been doing resistance training, your ratio is greater than if you had been but you lose muscle in either case. I would strongly suggest you read that link and at this point eat a very modest calorie deficit and start a resistance training program to work on body composition and preservation of LBM.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!