The Moment Your Pants Fit

Options
This is my first posting on myfitnesspal. . . I had intended to write before, titles such as:

Me vs. Cupcakes - the harrowing tale of the day I brought giant, luscious, award winning cupcakes to the office and didn't eat one.

and

My secret weapon - *spoiler alert. . it's a frittata.

Anyway, I wanted to talk today about weight loss and clothes. I steadily gained weight after high school and am just getting around to losing it. I graduated from college two years ago and am now working in a professional setting. The problem being that all of my dress clothes are now too big. My cubicle mate refers to my black dress slacks as 'sweat pants.'

I'm fitting into the jeans and tube tops of my past, but that doesn't help me at work. "BUY MORE CLOTHES AND STOP COMPLAINING!" You say! But I'm only half way to my goal weight!! I already bought clothes and after a month and a half they too have fallen into the 'sweat pants' category!!

I don't want to wear unflattering, baggy "fat" clothes. . but I also refuse to buy new clothes if I know that I'll only be wearing them for a short time. Grrrrrr

Please advise.

PS. I have no friends on myfitnesspal. They either quit or disappeared. I'm working hard and won't fall off the face of the earth when you need a little encouragement. Friend me if you like my post. :) Thanks!

Replies

• traceyfunk
    traceyfunk Posts: 86
    Options
    Consignment shops, goodwill, salvation army - all used clothing shops are your friend at this stage in the game!
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good you get your clothes adjusted by a seamstress (tailor). I know one who only charges a few pounds for minor adjustments.

Or, buy wrap around dresses or tunics, they don't look so bad a bit loose
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Charity shops! I've had to do this too!

Also, any one in your family a similar size? ;) Actually had a few pairs of trousers off my mother, worth asking!

ETA - WELLDONE WITH THE WEIGHT LOSS!!! :drinker:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This is my first posting on myfitnesspal. . . I had intended to write before, titles such as:

Me vs. Cupcakes - the harrowing tale of the day I brought giant, luscious, award winning cupcakes to the office and didn't eat one.

and

My secret weapon - *spoiler alert. . it's a frittata.

Anyway, I wanted to talk today about weight loss and clothes. I steadily gained weight after high school and am just getting around to losing it. I graduated from college two years ago and am now working in a professional setting. The problem being that all of my dress clothes are now too big. My cubicle mate refers to my black dress slacks as 'sweat pants.'

I'm fitting into the jeans and tube tops of my past, but that doesn't help me at work. "BUY MORE CLOTHES AND STOP COMPLAINING!" You say! But I'm only half way to my goal weight!! I already bought clothes and after a month and a half they too have fallen into the 'sweat pants' category!!

I don't want to wear unflattering, baggy "fat" clothes. . but I also refuse to buy new clothes if I know that I'll only be wearing them for a short time. Grrrrrr

Please advise.

PS. I have no friends on myfitnesspal. They either quit or disappeared. I'm working hard and won't fall off the face of the earth when you need a little encouragement. Friend me if you like my post. :) Thanks!

You could just get a few outfits whenever you need them, enough for your work needs, but not a whole new wardrobe. I agree with the other person too, look at goodwill and shops like that.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    You think you have problems, OP?
    I've been through so many of "That awkward moment when you wake up and can't find your pants.."
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would go down the goodwill/charity shop route. Or you could do what I did and bought 2 pairs of trousers and 4 tops (cheaply) to keep me going. I didn't want a wardrobe of clothes that will be too big either, although this would probably be tougher for you being in a work environment.

Like another poster suggested, maybe a tailor would be able to alter them cheaply for you?

Congratulations on having no clothes that fit.....for a good reason!! :drinker: :laugh:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!!! What an amazing feeling!

Goodwill is your friend.

If you have a Ross nearby, go there too - I found lots of great deals there when I was in-between sizes.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have had really good luck at church sales. The size range is huge. I have even bought clothes that I don't fit into yet but I know I will soon.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you have nice, classic pieces that are good quality it might be worth the expense to have them altered. The other suggestion is basically what's already been offered, buy inexpensive pieces at charity shops/thrift stores. You could also look into consignment. Selling your old too big clothes would give you a little money to put toward newer pieces.
  • mworthen
    mworthen Posts: 11
    Options
    Awesome work!! Resale or goodwill. All you need is a few pair of black slacks and 5 tops till you reach your goal weight. I've gone down two pants sizes so far and I bought a couple pair of jeans and caught sales on tops thru old navy. :). Good luck
  • ReasonableAssumption
    Options
    Goodwill.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Buy second hand off ebay. That is what I am doing for my summer dresses. I didn't want to pay much for clothing that hopefully won't fit by next summer, but can't continue to swim in all my clothing. I have just bought 4-5 dresses for under $6 each.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Don't buy anything new until you are closer to your goal. I agree with going second hand until you get there.

I haven't worn my "regular" clothes in 5 months. I wear a uniform day in and day out so I can't gauge my weight loss based on how my jeans fit. For those who say "Well doesn't your uniform fit differently"...well no, females get issued male uniforms so it has always been an ill-fitting garment from day one lol. I will figure out how my clothes fit when I go home in September. That should be interesting and exciting...something I look forward to.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I got a new job in march. 2 weeks later the pants I bought that fit perfectly when purchased were so big that they literally fell down to my knees while walking. 8 weeks later and even the belt I bought to hold up the pants is getting too big. I have to keep tightening it more and more so the end bit now sticks out well past the loop at an odd angle. I am swimming in the tops I had bought too.

Anyway I broke down and started searching the thrift stores for new clothes that fit my work dress code. I will not buy any clothes over 4 bucks during this transition. I dont even dare waste money on a new bra. Im not spending 40 bucks on something only to use it for 2 weeks. Yes bras cost that much if you are an unusual size that isnt found in most stores.

Also with the way thrift store prices are going up, that 80% off rack in big department stores is looking better and better.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Pants that fitted me fine three or so weeks ago are not slipping down all the time and the next ones down (fortunately I'm a hoarder and haven't thrown clothes out so am working backwards through my wardrobe) are a touch too tight, but I know those will fit in only a few weeks so don't want to buy, not even second hand.

Still, I'm not really complaining. In about 9 months to a year's time I should be a more stable (and much lower) weight so will buy then, but till then I'll put up with the inconveniences!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I found a Talbots outlet and bought a few things - like a black mock wrap dress that still fits that I could throw a blazer over helped a lot as I lost weight. I also tried to design an office "capsule" wardrobe using that dress as a main piece. (google Project 333 for help on that) Now that I am in maintenance mode, I still try to keep my wardrobe small and it helps tremendously with getting ready for work.

congrats on the weight loss and striving for healthy lifestyle!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm buying new clothes anyway, just nothing too expensive. It's been important to me psychologically to get rid of the "fat clothes." I will never wear those again!
  • darbydh1982
    darbydh1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Look at you little sister! Putting yourself out there! So proud!

You know I love all the advice about shopping at goodwill. My advice on shopping at goodwill, go often but don't buy often. You have to go like once or twice a week to get the good stuff, otherwise it will just be the stuff that everyone has picked over. I usually pop in after work for 10 minutes, if I don't see anything new, I'm out.

I know your gonna hate me for saying this, can you fit into any of Shelby or Stacy's clothes?

I've saved a lot of my old stuff, hoping that one day I can fit into them. Maybe when you get in town this weekend you can shuffle through them.

We are gonna be soooooo HOT at the wedding!!! :D Love you!
  • themtron
    themtron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've attended clothing swaps. It's a nice way to refresh your wardrobe for free IF someone there has brought sizes that fit you. Also it's a great way to unload clothes you no longer want. Whatever is leftover, you donate to charity. Might be worth it to organize one yourself...