Hurt my ankle but too stubborn to not work out..

Options
I need a good cardio routine (usually do p90x, skip rope, and biking), but all three are out... and I need something to help my heart rate up each day. My left ankle is messed up, but I can stand on it/walk lightly. Don't tell me to just rest or I will intentionally hurt myself just for you. =p I need legit, cardio-workouts. lol

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have a bad ankle as well.. I have no cartridge in mine. My main cardio is zumba, just dance, or plain shaking the booty. best of luck
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    you should really try a wateraerobics class. will be much easier on you and you will find you can get just as good if not a better work out if you do it correctly.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Punching- it gets your heart rate soaring, and it won't hurt your ankle. You have to rest it, or you could potentially set yourself back even more. So stick with cardio that works your upper body. But really, punching is great.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    you should really try a wateraerobics class. will be much easier on you and you will find you can get just as good if not a better work out if you do it correctly.
    This is a terrific option....definitely gets your heart rate up and fills the cardio need..works the entire body. Deep water aerobic is also awesome.

You can kickbox in the water, you can run in the water, pretty much anything you can do on land can be done in water but with far less impact to the joints!

I agree with 'if done correctly' when I was doing water aerobics..there were some that didn't wanna get there hair wet, stayed in the shallow, hardly moved, then others that were most definitely putting all they had into it! You get out of any class what you put into it.

Don't have a pool available? Lot of gyms, rec centers etc. offer punch cards to use and perhaps that might be something for you to see about.

Some don't understand how intense water aerobics can be because you're in the water and don't realize how much you're sweating like you do when you're on the hard wood floor doing the same thing. It's a terrific workout, especially when less pressure on joints is needed.

Good Luck:wink:

EDIT: My first suggestion, though you ask us not to...would be caution and take time to heal a bit, the longer you use the injured body part the less chance of healing and the more change of doing even more damage and then you'll be down even longer. This comment isn't made to make you run the other way in rebellion and do it anyway it's given to you in concern. Our bodies need time to mend...they just plain do! I know how very hard it is when I'm sick and feel that desire to go workout but I MAKE myself slow down because I've tried it the other way. It doesn't work and I stay sick far longer. Our bodies are awesome...they are always there for us....they take ALOT of abuse but they can only take so much. Please consider taking time to allow yourself to heal and you will be good to go far sooner!:drinker:
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Ditto to this! Upper body workouts like punching are GREAT! They get your heart rate soaring :)
    Punching- it gets your heart rate soaring, and it won't hurt your ankle. You have to rest it, or you could potentially set yourself back even more. So stick with cardio that works your upper body. But really, punching is great.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    spinning or cycling!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Punching or any pool workouts.

I got sidelined with an ankle injury, errr well I should have been sidelined...I was on crutches and as soon as I could walk I started Irish dancing (I figured it was better than soccer). I ended up needing a series of MRIs (I damaged my knee because of the ankle), lots of PT and quite a bit of Vicodin. As in, I was sidelined for 5 MONTHS and even though I run now, I constantly have issues with my ankle. By dancing I injured it even further and cost myself more time in recovery.

So I urge you, if it hurts stop. It's much better to decide to take a break now (as hard as it may be) then to be forced to take a break.
  • TheSuperSaiyan
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll do a little bit of everything for sure! Especially the upper cardio and water-exercise. I really love Zumba, but don't think my heel is ready for it yet.