I really want to start exercising...

Options
I always compared exercising to writing a book. Meaning, can I do so in theory? Absolutely. Will I do it? Not likely.

Okay, so I believe I am at a point where I can stop with the excuses and start exercising. I want this and need this. Currently, my exercise consists of a few brief walks a week. That is obviously nothing and shouldn't be counted as exercise. I want tone. I am planning to join a gym. This gym has a location not far from home and one a couple of blocks from work. I plan to utilize the gym near my house on weekends, and the gym near work on weekdays. I have roughly an hour lunch--that is when I would work out. I plan to talk to a fitness trainer initially to determine what I should be doing to tone up while in the gym. But what about at home? Are there things I can do that don't require equipment and a lot of room? Something simple. A reference to a DVD or such or a website of certain exercises would be great.

I get up around 6 am to get ready for work and get baby ready for daycare. after work, i pick up baby and go home, feed, wash, play...then he goes to bed around 7 pm. So, my "home" exercise would occur after 7 pm. (Not sure why that is relevant).

Lastly, I am not overweight. I am what some people call "skinny fat." someone's tagline read something like "skinny girls look good in clothes...fit girls look good naked." So true! I am embarassed by my lack of tone. I am 5'5ish and weigh about 98 pounds. I know that as I exercise, I will definitely be eating those calories back as I don't want to create a deficit. I have started to increase my protein and calcium significantly in preparation for exercise.

I need to commit to this. I am in my mid-thirties and I need the energy and muscle to keep up with a growing toddler.

One last thing...I really want to focus on my stomach.

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Don't knock walking - a brisk walk (3.5-4 mph) is great cardiovascular exercise, and low impact.

For strength exercises, there are a number of bodyweight exercises that can be done with minimal or no equipment, other than comfortable clothes, a mat or pad, and household furniture. Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" is popular (see his website at http://marklauren.com), but there are other guides. Stumptuous.com is worth looking at (see especially http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem).

You can't spot reduce--you can do core exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles, but if you have flab there that you want to get rid of, you'll need to diet. Look into advice for losing fat and building muscle.

Finally, talking to a trainer is a great idea, but check out his or her qualifications first. There is a lot of misinformation out there. (And here on MFP, too!)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So, you're going from doing basically nothing, to wanting to workout at a gym during the week, a gym on weekends, AND do stuff from home? That's a big leap.

Why not start with something like 3-4x week. A good routine done 3x weeks is more than sufficient.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Start small - park at the very back of the parking lot wherever you go. Don't think about "exercise", just think about moving your body in new ways. Then you'll start to get excited about the results and do more :)
  • rosemary98
    Options
    So, you're going from doing basically nothing, to wanting to workout at a gym during the week, a gym on weekends, AND do stuff from home? That's a big leap.

Why not start with something like 3-4x week. A good routine done 3x weeks is more than sufficient.

no, i didn't mean I would work out daily. I was just stating what was available to me.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jack, look for something that is 3 days a week to start. Get that into a habit and then add on more. You can do well on just 3 days a week exercise, lots of people only do 3 days.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My advise would be to try a few excercise classes and sports clubs and find something you find fun. I did fencing for ages (although I hurt my knee and had to stop). It didn't feel like excercise because it was fun!

I now go running, which I enjoy as I have always enjoyed walking outdoors, and I find it similar.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Don't knock walking - a brisk walk (3.5-4 mph) is great cardiovascular exercise, and low impact.

For strength exercises, there are a number of bodyweight exercises that can be done with minimal or no equipment, other than comfortable clothes, a mat or pad, and household furniture. Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" is popular (see his website at http://marklauren.com), but there are other guides. Stumptuous.com is worth looking at (see especially http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem).

You can't spot reduce--you can do core exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles, but if you have flab there that you want to get rid of, you'll need to diet. Look into advice for losing fat and building muscle.

Finally, talking to a trainer is a great idea, but check out his or her qualifications first. There is a lot of misinformation out there. (And here on MFP, too!)

Thanks for the links. well, i think i have flab there. it is a bit more "stretchy" since having my baby. but i don't think i can diet that away. i really can't lose more than another couple of pounds.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

no, i didn't mean I would workout daily. I was just stating what was available to me.

Gotcha, sorry... I misunderstood.

But I stick to my advice. Set aside some time 3 days a week (30 minutes is fine, though more or less time isn't necessarily a bad thing) and get started on a regular and consistent routine. The first month or so you should be focused on 2 things - getting into the habit of going 3x week, and getting the feel for the machines/lifts/weights you are using. It's really a learning process at first - form good habits and things will get easier as you go.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    No time like today. :-)
  • rosemary98
    Options

no, i didn't mean I would workout daily. I was just stating what was available to me.

Gotcha, sorry... I misunderstood.

But I stick to my advice. Set aside some time 3 days a week (30 minutes is fine, though more or less time isn't necessarily a bad thing) and get started on a regular and consistent routine. The first month or so you should be focused on 2 things - getting into the habit of going 3x week, and getting the feel for the machines/lifts/weights you are using. It's really a learning process at first - form good habits and things will get easier as you go.

30 mins 3-4 times a week is doable. I could go to the gym at work twice a week. Workout at home once a week. and go on the weekend once. I tend to feel very self-conscious at the gym (the times i've gone in the past). But I guess I will just have to face my fears and just suck it up.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Home fitness absolutely possible!

You have an internet connection? Check Youtube. Lots of people there with decent routines/ideas.

What worked for me. Was to set a time 2-3x per week and ALWAYS get it done. Start small if you do not exercise much. After 4 weeks or so, this will become a routine. After a few more weeks you should add/change the exercises. If you decide to follow an online person? They usually keep the workouts interesting.

Most important if you are going this alone at home. Have fun! If you pick something too hard and it is not fun. Almost certain that you will not keep it up.

All my best for your success!
  • Darklady5
    Options
    Hi, I think you shouldn't quit walking and unlike you may think is a great exercise and it's good for your heart too, it works all your lower muscles as well as lower back muscle strength also. You can track your exercises on Runkeeper app and see how many calories you can burn , you'd be surprised.
    As a matter of fact going to a gym is expensive and you can do your own exercise at home for free. buy a couple of light weights to start with, look for exercises on youtube or buy a DVD ... there's so much you can do for your muscles and have a beautiful, healthy but not over worked out body.
    the 5 tibetan Rites are really good, Pilates, Dance, tai chi..
    I can't do much exercise due bone problems and fibromyalgia but I try the best I can to do my walks, muscle strengthening at home, meditation and I started with Tai Chi... you can organize your day , do general home work and take care of kids, read a book or even write and in between exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Also, are there things you like doing? Do you have dogs you could walk? Or take you kid? Go out dancing with friends? Hike in the woods?

Doing things you genuinely enjoy can be a bit contributor to success, especially early on, rather than feeling like you have to "go workout".
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Try some classes at the gym to get started. A lot of people really like BodyPump. If you have a certain time that you have to be there, you're less likely to skip when life gets crazy :-)
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I just checked out amazon for Lauren's "You are your own gym." It received many excellent reviews. anyone else try this?
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other great advice so far, consider Zumba - look on YouTube, check out a local class, or get a DVD. It's fun and a great workout, and during most classes, I'm like "an hour's gone already?" when we start the cool-down.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I just checked out amazon for Lauren's "You are your own gym." It received many excellent reviews. anyone else try this?

I've heard lots of good about it on the forums, but have no personal experience with it.

I will say that if you're serious about going to the gym 3x week, use those sessions for your strength training. Workout out home and do something different (yoga, plyometrics, walk, bike, etc).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Currently, my exercise consists of a few brief walks a week.
    I started out this way a couple of years ago. I eventually built my exercise routine up to a combination of strength training and cardio.

Sometimes doing too much too fast causes burn out. Be patient. Build your routine up over time.

Walking is a good starting point, don't knock it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - don't knock walking...it's a great form of low impact exercise. That's what I started off doing and it's still a substantial component of my current fitness regimen.

2 - Contrary to popular belief you don't have to and really shouldn't be logging a gazillion hours of exercise daily and weekly. That's called over-training...you reach a point of diminishing returns and ultimately risk injury...ask me how I know. Truth is you can have a very good workout in 30 - 45 minutes 3 - 5 times per week...any more than 60 is really overkill unless you're training for some specific purpose and event (i.e. marathon, triathlon, etc). You should really always have 1-2 rest days from strenuous exercise per week and if you are working out hard and heavy 5 - 6 days per week you should de-load and rest every 4-6 weeks and just let your body recover. Had I more closely followed my own advice above I wouldn't be sitting my *kitten* on the bench right now.

3 - Contrary to popular belief you don't have to drone away for hours and hours on some piece of cardio gym equipment...I never touch the stuff (unless I'm forced indoors by some seriously inclimate weather)

4 - Fitness is something you build up to...no body can go from zero to 5-6 days per week of strenuous exercise...heck, nobody can go from zero to 3x weekly strenuous exercise...you have to build up to it.

5 - Find something you enjoy doing and set some fitness goals for yourself...nothing is less motivating than doing something you don't enjoy and having no true purpose and just doing something because you feel like that's what you're supposed to do. Everyone should be getting their fitness on...but everybody has different ways of going about that. I for example will not set foot on a treadmill or bike...though I love to cycle and run...hiking is another hobby of mine...these are exercise, but they aren't chores...I enjoy doing them.

6 - Definitely start adding in some resistance work for body re-comp...cardio and diet alone aren't going to make significant changes to your body composition.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well, first you really have to figure out what you want to achieve by working out. And as a suggestion, if it's mostly just to look better (nothing wrong with that AT ALL), make sure you include some other element like getting stronger or running father/faster. That way if you're have a bad week in the weight loss/gain department, you still have other factors to go for. In fact, in the pursuit of either of those goals (strength or conditioning), you'll reach your goals anyhow.

So long as you stick to the basics, you will be fine. Every fitness routine you see advertised is going to just end up using either cardio or weight lifting to get you fit. And as you will learn there's nothing magical about either one, regardless of how they alter them or mix up the sets and reps and timing and blah blah blah...

Exercise is exercise. I've also heard good things about "You Are Your Own Gym", and I like that it's focused on keeping things simple. Since you're usually only using bodyweight, it's good for a beginner. In time you will find that you will need to use heavier weights to continue progressing though, and at that time you can re-adjust.

You should also seriously consider picking up "New Rules of Lifting for Women". I suggest this book all the time to the women on this site because the beginning chapters are worth every penny you spend on it. It's like a perfect summary of some of the best advice you'll find from people on this site. The workout routines at the end of the book are fine too, but I find them a little overly complicated. But if they suit you, use it. If not, you'll have a good base of knowledge to actually start looking around at other real programs.