Fast Breakfast for a busy mom

Options

Replies

• shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I take a polenta chub and cut it in 5 portions. Mash each portion in it's own container, top with 1T light cheese and 1T hard cheese (parmesian or blend), 2 slices crumbled turkey bacon and store in the fridge. In the morning nuke polenta for 1:20 minutes. Meanwhile, put 1/3 cup water in a glass measuring cup. Break an egg into the water and pierce yolk with a fork, cover with a papertowel and secure with a rubberband. Nuke on high for :45-:50 seconds. Stir the polenta and top with the egg that has been drained. You can cover this and it will keep warm for 15-20 minutes.

I vary the recipe using different flavored polenta or hot italian turkey sausage, low fat cheddar or monterey jack. It literally takes minutes to prepare and minutes to cook and tastes delish! Very satisfying!!! Add a piece of fruit and you're good to go!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you mean something hand held to eat on the go...

Kashi has great cereal and granola bars, OR Cheese stick with fruit (banana or apple)

Peanut butter and jelly on honey wheat

premake breakfast sandwiches and reheat to go (english muffin, egg white, ham, 2% cheddar)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Make some hard boiled eggs ahead of time and then put them in the fridge. Pair them with a piece of fruit and/or a ziplock baggie of cereal.
  • DoreenN
    DoreenN Posts: 60
    Options
    a slimfast bar or special k bar, that way you can take it with you. Also you could drink a meal supplement shake, like shakeology. You can blend it the night before and put it in the refrigerator in a to go mug.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i scramble 10 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, pinch of low fat cheddar cheese with a pat of butter on sunday evening along with hard boiling 3-5 dozen eggs for the week for my lunches. i let scrambled eggs cool down and put in container to frig. for the breakfast meal i take couple spoonfuls of egg whites on a low fat multi grain tortea and microwave for 20 secs to heat up. wrap it up and go! you have your carbs, prot and smidge of fat. my son puts salsa or taco sauce on his before school.

other am quickies...banana, apples or low fat peanut butter smear on a 35 calorie slice of bread, or protein shake with supplements

i pack fruit or cut up veggies for my snack 2.5 hours after my 1st meal.
  • tiredmommytales
    tiredmommytales Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Overnight Oats. I mix equal parts (1/4 - 1/3 cup) oats, yogurt and milk in a bowl and leave them in the fridge overnight. In the morning when I get to work, I throw in some crunchy add-ins like granola, whole grain cereals, some fruit chunks and sometimes I'll heat up some peanut butter to drizzle on top.
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    Overnight Oats! Wow...that actually sounds really good! I will have to try that! Thanks :)
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i eat 2 slices of wheat toast with a little bit of peanut butter on them. every morning lol i'm too lazy to do anything more.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Cook up a 3 egg white omelette, slap on a slice of fat free cheese and roll up in a flatout wrap....completely healthy and delicious!

Oatmeal only takes a minute and 30 seconds to heat up (quick oats), I add almond milk and an egg white before cooking then peanut butter when its done.

Hard boiled eggs are handy if you make them ahead of time.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i love my morning Shakeology. packed with 70 different foods. i blend it up with my coffee, almond milk and pumpkin puree. i save 100 calories a day by removing my sugar in the raw and half and half from my coffee. i then drink it on the go or while dressing/putting on makeup.
    or boiled eggs work great if you are looking for more of a breakfast food.
    i also LOVE leftovers for breakfast.
    think outside the box. you don't have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. healthy choices are the best.
    cheering you on!
  • PhoxyLaydee
    PhoxyLaydee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice!
  • hingebre
    Options
    so I know there's already tons of great ideas on here, but I just came across this article with more breakfast ideas and thought people might be interested. It might repeat some of the things that have aready been said, but feel free to take a look if you want!

http://nutrition.about.com/u/ua/changeyourdiet/breakfastUA.htm
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i usually have an oh yeah shake.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    My two favorite fast breakfasts are -

Pumpkin and low-fat cottage cheese (don't knock it till you've tried it!) I add a packet of sweetener, and a tsp cinnamon - it's fabulous!!!

Greek yogurt, maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice) and some carmal fiber one cerial (half a cup each)

Both give you a nice portion of protein and the pumkin/cottage cheese is supper filling and delish!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I can't compete with the folks on the board. However, I have bran flakes and a banana for breakfast. Then I follow that with a glass of water.

Recently I've been having a cup of yogurt at lunch followed by another fruit.

It seems to sustain my 343 lb. hide until dinner. Now at dinner I get creative. Not going into it hear but it's still healthy.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    whole grain toast with peanut butter
    instant oatmeal (I personally hate this one but sometimes it comes in handy)
    mini wheats with skim milk (sit with your 4 year old for just a few minutes, my kids like that time of day best)
    apple with peanut butter and milk
    1/2 whole wheat bagel with LF cream cheese or peanut butter
    smoothies ( i get all the ingredients ready the night before so all I have to do is throw it all in the blender in the am)
    fruit with yogurt and granola or nuts
    cottage cheese with fruit
    I also like to make LF muffins and freeze them then I can just pull one out the night before and have it on the go with my coffee, my two favorites are zucchini and pumpkin which I make LF and healthier using oat bran and applesauce for some substitution and I add a little flax seed and nuts, I try to portion them out to be 150-200 calories.
    microwave an egg (scramble it) add to a toasted whole wheat english muffin
    Kashi go lean with skim milk, or heart to heart
    Fruit and string cheese
    whole grain waffle with peanut butter
    whole wheat cous cous,or steel cut oats topped with fruit (pre cook the cous cous or oats and just reheat in the am)
    hard boiled eggs
    yogurt

Ok, thats all I can come up with right now, I try to stay away from as much processed foods as possible but I know that isn't going to fit everyones lifestyle if you like them you might want to find a variety of protein or granola bars to get you started in the morning and yoplait makes ready to go smoothies that you can find at walmart in the freezer section my mom and aunt really seem to like those. If anything try to eat within 2 hours of waking, it might be less stressful with babies to have a glass of milk and eat on your way or once you get to work.

Congratulations on the new baby!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Instant Oatmeal.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick in hand on the go breakfast- low fat low carb whole wheat tortilla with 2 tbsp of peanut butter and sliced banana. Quick easy and I can eat while driving :)

Congrats on your baby!!
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I like 0 % Fat FAGE greek yogurt with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a No Sugar Added fruit cup all mixed up. It's very filling and tastes different depending on the fruit I add. I'm currently hooked on the NSA Mandarin orange fruit cup with the yogurt...yum!
  • rstring
    rstring Posts: 35
    Options
    Like most people, banana/apple/granola bars and for protein I usually mix up a Qivana shake. I mostly like the chocolate ones and that can be made with almond milk!