Why am I not losing Weight?!!!!

Options

Replies

• dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I"m wondering if you are eating enough each day. If you are only eating 1200 calories and working out where you are burning a lot of calories, then you will not lose weight. You must eat your full amount of calories without exercise and then if you exercise you should add healthy protiens to your meal. Let me know if that helps.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Some things I noticed about your diary. You really are not creating a deficit, in fact a lot of days you are over. To lose weight you must create a deficit of 3,500 calories a week ( that's what creates -1lb) so split over 7 days, that is a 500 calorie deficit a day. Also, 1200 calories is really low if you are working out hard. The best thing to do is to purchase a heart rate monitor and wear it all day for 3 days of inactivity. Record each calorie amount and average it to determine your base cals. Then, going forward wear it for workouts to determine actual calories burned to know an accurate reading. I found that my base burn was actually around 1600 - 1800 calories, not 1200 and then I was burning between 800-1100 calories a workout. So at a minimum I would need to eat at least 2,000 calories on active days.

You should also be measuring all your food, not estimating. I think it might surprise you how much you are actually eating. Also re-balance your foods. The mobile app provides a pie chart of carb/fat/protein breakdown that you should adhere to. 50% of your day should be made up in carbs, the rest fresh veggies and protein. Its all about balance. Another big tip is to pack or cook all meals possible - you remain in control of what you are eating and are not able to make poor decisions in the moment. It also stops you from eating out and not truly knowing what is in your food. If you have a busy week, prep in advance. Clean and wash lettuce, chop veggies and fruit, and pack lunches on Sunday.

Often people misunderstand that losing weight entails a lot more than just "eating less," They focus on calorie count as opposed to what they are actually consuming and how to make life changes that are effective and sustainable.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I don't think she needs to worry about not eating enough, I think she needs to worry about over eating because MFP told her she burned "such and such" calories. I basically take what MFP says about how many calories I burn with a grain of salt.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    -You're incorrectly logging food

-You're not in a caloric deficit

-You're not eating the proper foods so that your body wants to burn fat (I'm not say there are fat burning foods, but you can't build a fire with no wood)

She's said that she is logging her food, being honest about it and coming in at her 1200 calorie goal. What you just said is in effect calling her a liar - that's kind of rude, don't you think?

That is not necessarily calling her a liar. She may think she is logging correctly, but maybe is not weighing her foods properly or there could be other factors that make the logging not accurate. Or perhaps the caloric burn logged was not the actual correct burn, unbeknownst to her. All Of Which could affect the deficit/surplus balance.

Mmmm - I wouldn't say that the MFP food database is exactly accurate anyway because most of it is user input. Everybody is an individual and their body has different needs. What someone may advise, even in good spirit, may be completely wrong. Like all those people who think that cutting carbs is the way forward - maybe it worked for them but whose to say it will work for others. Plus, does she have a food intolerance that makes her digestive system function differently?. I think that becoming a logger of absolutely everything (unless you're a professional athlete) is a bit extreme, verging on OCD, and somewhat unrealistic. The point is that she is doing an important and healthy lifestyle thing. She should be getting support, positive comments, and encouragement, not someone being blunt and implying that she's not being honest.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    This is why I love iifym and scoobyworkshop calculators. I got sick of guessing burns and just calculated my exercise level on there and it gives me how much I should eat without having to muddle through what I really burned. Though, even that's an estimate. It's trial and error.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

-You're not eating the proper foods so that your body wants to burn fat (I'm not say there are fat burning foods, but you can't build a fire with no wood)

She's said that she is logging her food, being honest about it and coming in at her 1200 calorie goal. What you just said is in effect calling her a liar - that's kind of rude, don't you think?

That is not necessarily calling her a liar. She may think she is logging correctly, but maybe is not weighing her foods properly or there could be other factors that make the logging not accurate. Or perhaps the caloric burn logged was not the actual correct burn, unbeknownst to her. All Of Which could affect the deficit/surplus balance.

Mmmm - I wouldn't say that the MFP food database is exactly accurate anyway because most of it is user input. Everybody is an individual and their body has different needs. What someone may advise, even in good spirit, may be completely wrong. Like all those people who think that cutting carbs is the way forward - maybe it worked for them but whose to say it will work for others. Plus, does she have a food intolerance that makes her digestive system function differently?. I think that becoming a logger of absolutely everything (unless you're a professional athlete) is a bit extreme, verging on OCD, and somewhat unrealistic. The point is that she is doing an important and healthy lifestyle thing. She should be getting support, positive comments, and encouragement, not someone being blunt and implying that she's not being honest.

why be on a calorie counting and logging site if you are not going to log everything? If you eat a piece of cake and don't log it, does that mean it does not count towards your calorie count?

If you want to hold yourself accountable and have long term changes and success then you should log/weigh everything; other wise you are just cheating yourself.

< Not an athlete and not OCD and I log everything because it makes me accountable as to what I am putting in my bod.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options

why be on a calorie counting and logging site if you are not going to log everything? If you eat a piece of cake and don't log it, does that mean it does not count towards your calorie count?

If you want to hold yourself accountable and have long term changes and success then you should log/weigh everything; other wise you are just cheating yourself.

< Not an athlete and not OCD and I log everything because it makes me accountable as to what I am putting in my bod.

100% agree. I keep my diary private, but you'd see that last night I went over my calories because I had 4 beers. I could have very well not logged those and made it look as though I stayed under my calories but the whole point of me being on here is to hold myself accountable for the things I am putting into my body.
  • mitchiemo
    Options

I log every so often to make sure I'm roughly eating enough. I'm also on here to get support and encouragement although sometimes people seem happier to criticise rather than give support - and that was my point!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't think she needs to worry about not eating enough, I think she needs to worry about over eating because MFP told her she burned "such and such" calories. I basically take what MFP says about how many calories I burn with a grain of salt.

I completely agree, her recent diary shows her at no deficit. But I also don't think she actually knows what she's putting in her mouth and what she's actually burning. I think a heart rate monitor would greatly help in that are or a fit bit, it helped me a lot.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I log every so often to make sure I'm roughly eating enough. I'm also on here to get support and encouragement although sometimes people seem happier to criticise rather than give support - and that was my point!

if you do not want to log that is fine..but don't make a blanket statement that everyone that does is either a professional athlete, extreme, or bordering on extreme....
  • mitchiemo
    Options

if you do not want to log that is fine..but don't make a blanket statement that everyone that does is either a professional athlete, extreme, or bordering on extreme....

Please re read what I said - you have missed the point !
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What is your height and exercise level currently?
    Also, I would add some veggies into my diet... :wink:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    1200 and exercising daily - EAT MORE
  • stephanieraley1
    Options
    Well, I've been seriously doing this for a month now. I lost 2 lbs in the beginning and have not been able to lose since. I've been working out ALOT more though, so maybe I'm building more muscle? I still want to lose the weight though. I'm supposed to be 135 for my height and I'm 153 right now. :(((

Hey, I have several friends that have had the same problem. We are now working out together, and using a specific program, and it is working out amazing. Send me a message and we can see if the program we are doing will work out for you as well =)
  • ndj1979
    Options

"I think that becoming a logger of absolutely everything (unless you're a professional athlete) is a bit extreme, verging on OCD, and somewhat unrealistic. " < that is word for word...
  • mitchiemo
    Options
    You're not building muscle but if you've upped exercise recently, you could be retaining water for muscle repair. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. That's helped me. :)

Why do you say she's not building muscle? Muscles repair is muscle growth!

you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit...

and OP said she is sometimes only eating 1000 cals...., which will not leave enough emerge for building muscle...

I was merely pointing out the contradiction! Plus what you said is a myth.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You're not building muscle but if you've upped exercise recently, you could be retaining water for muscle repair. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. That's helped me. :)

and OP said she is sometimes only eating 1000 cals...., which will not leave enough emerge for building muscle...

what myth are you referring to?
  • mitchiemo
    Options

"I think that becoming a logger of absolutely everything (unless you're a professional athlete) is a bit extreme, verging on OCD, and somewhat unrealistic. " < that is word for word...

So - you picked out one sentence out of the many that I wrote and chose to take offence. Well I'm sorry that you took offence at me saying that those who log ABSOLUTELY everything, are athletes, professionals, and maybe a little obsessed, as being derogatory. That isn't what I was implying. If you don't want to consider yourself as an athlete or professional then fine. I like rock climbing, I'm obsessed with it and I don't mind admitting it. Logging everything isn't realistic for many people. I'll stress my point again - the girl needs support not blunt criticism.
  • mitchiemo
    Options

what myth are you referring to?

You can build muscle on a calorie deficit its just much much harder. And mate, why are you all guns blazing at me tonight? Chill! I'm just trying to give the girl some support.