The Ohio University Study on CrossFit

Options

Replies

• KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone would argue that you can make gains doing crossfit, but at $150 a month I will pass. I am getting excellent results and paid $300. for a 15 month gym membership, which includes a class that has given me a great training foundation. Last month I completed a crossfit workout with some friends and had no problem keeping up with them.

And every study needs a control group. Period.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lots of statistical jargon that makes a study look like it says something, but doesn't really say anything. Sure, the results were significant that doing crossfit style training improves someone's fitness, but the study is kind of skewed by not reporting, as others have stated, diet, starting fitness level, injuries, etc.

I could put some numbers through SPSS and have it tell me that smokers burn more calories in a day, but it's a lopsided study.

Read the study. The starting fitness levels are recorded.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here is the Link to the Study Titled:
    Crossfit-based high intensity power training improves maximal aerobic fitness and body composition
    http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Devor_CrossFit_Publication_1.pdf

Here is the link to an blog analysis of the study:
    First CrossFit Study: It Works Wonders, If You Can Survive
    http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2013/08/finally-a-scientific-study-on-crossfit.html

Abstract
    The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a crossfit-based high intensity power
    training (HIPT) program on aerobic fitness and body composition. Healthy subjects of both
    genders (23 males, 20 females) spanning all levels of aerobic fitness and body composition
    completed 10 weeks of HIPT consisting of lifts such as the squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, and
    overhead press performed as quickly as possible. Additionally, this crossfit-based HIPT program
    included skill work for the improvement of traditional Olympic lifts and selected gymnastic
    exercises. Body fat percentage was estimated using whole body plethysmography and maximal
    aerobic capacity (VO2max) was measured by analyzing expired gasses during a Bruce protocol
    maximal graded treadmill test. These variables were measured again following 10 weeks of
    training and compared for significant changes using a paired t-test. Results showed significant
    (P<0.05) improvements of VO2max in males (43.10±1.40 to 48.96±1.42 ml/kg/min) and females
    (35.98±1.60 to 40.22±1.62 ml/kg/min) as well as decreased body fat percentage in males
    (22.2±1.3 to 18.0±1.3) and females (26.6±2.0 to 23.2±2.0). These improvements were significant
    across all levels of initial fitness. Significant correlations between absolute oxygen consumption
    and oxygen consumption relative to body weight was found in both men (r=0.83, P<0.001) and
    women (r=0.94, P<0.001), indicating HIPT improved VO2max scaled to body weight
    independent of changes to body composition. Our data shows that HIPT significantly improves
    VO2max and body composition in subjects of both genders across all levels of fitness.

So where was the control group not doing HIPT? Seems they didn't even bother trying to control for diet, not even a terrible food recall was done. All this seems to say is they took some fatties, put them on a 10 wk program and they improved body comp and fitness. Shocking

No related, but what is your workout regimen?

I lift things up and put them down 4-6x a week
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And every study needs a control group. Period.

If there isn't one, it's not a "study", it's advertising.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lots of statistical jargon that makes a study look like it says something, but doesn't really say anything. Sure, the results were significant that doing crossfit style training improves someone's fitness, but the study is kind of skewed by not reporting, as others have stated, diet, starting fitness level, injuries, etc.

I could put some numbers through SPSS and have it tell me that smokers burn more calories in a day, but it's a lopsided study.

Read the study. The starting fitness levels are recorded.

This is a terrible experimental design and the data provides zero useful information. Sorry.

I know you love Crossfit and all, but this study is not what you want it to be.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Did the guys who ran this study have any experiment design experience whatsoever?! Come on, a first year stats student can do better than this. Cant even infer anything from this study except that crossfit burns calories and increases endurance. duh

A great study would be a year long study covering multiple groups (control, deficit, surplus calories) comparing crossfit versus a standard bodybuilding routine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Did the guys who ran this study have any experiment design experience whatsoever?! Come on, a first year stats student can do better than this.

Exactly. Meaning the ad....sorry, "study"...was intentionally designed to NOT provide a comparison.

And that is firmly in res ipsa loquitor territory.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a 16% drop out rate over 10 weeks is ridiculous...

Yikes. If they aren't including the "no improvement" stats from the drop-outs in the final results, then the results are completely skewed by survivorship bias.

Thank you for pointing this out. this study is meaningless.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Here is the Link to the Study Titled:
    Crossfit-based high intensity power training improves maximal aerobic fitness and body composition
    http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Devor_CrossFit_Publication_1.pdf

Here is the link to an blog analysis of the study:
    First CrossFit Study: It Works Wonders, If You Can Survive
    http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2013/08/finally-a-scientific-study-on-crossfit.html

Abstract
    The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a crossfit-based high intensity power
    training (HIPT) program on aerobic fitness and body composition. Healthy subjects of both
    genders (23 males, 20 females) spanning all levels of aerobic fitness and body composition
    completed 10 weeks of HIPT consisting of lifts such as the squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, and
    overhead press performed as quickly as possible. Additionally, this crossfit-based HIPT program
    included skill work for the improvement of traditional Olympic lifts and selected gymnastic
    exercises. Body fat percentage was estimated using whole body plethysmography and maximal
    aerobic capacity (VO2max) was measured by analyzing expired gasses during a Bruce protocol
    maximal graded treadmill test. These variables were measured again following 10 weeks of
    training and compared for significant changes using a paired t-test. Results showed significant
    (P<0.05) improvements of VO2max in males (43.10±1.40 to 48.96±1.42 ml/kg/min) and females
    (35.98±1.60 to 40.22±1.62 ml/kg/min) as well as decreased body fat percentage in males
    (22.2±1.3 to 18.0±1.3) and females (26.6±2.0 to 23.2±2.0). These improvements were significant
    across all levels of initial fitness. Significant correlations between absolute oxygen consumption
    and oxygen consumption relative to body weight was found in both men (r=0.83, P<0.001) and
    women (r=0.94, P<0.001), indicating HIPT improved VO2max scaled to body weight
    independent of changes to body composition. Our data shows that HIPT significantly improves
    VO2max and body composition in subjects of both genders across all levels of fitness.

So where was the control group not doing HIPT? Seems they didn't even bother trying to control for diet, not even a terrible food recall was done. All this seems to say is they took some fatties, put them on a 10 wk program and they improved body comp and fitness. Shocking

No related, but what is your workout regimen?

I lift things up and put them down 4-6x a week
    Lift things up and put them down.............wait wut huh....sounds too simple and cheap........don't need a 150/mo membership or trainer coach
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am not doing cross fit but I have been cross training in various ways for 5 years. I find myself to be extremely strong and my body comp has changed so much! Things I have done in 5 years- mauy thai, bootcamp, walking, skiing, (CQC) closed quarter combat fitness, weight lifting regimes, krav maga, TaeKwonDo, Capoeira (super hard- only did it for a month!) rowing machine, intervals and Punch Gym (kettlebell intervals taught by masters), and stadium stairs.

I like changing it up because it keeps me interested. I am about to embark on dancing as excercise.

Thanks for sharing study. I shared my story because CrossFit gyms are expensive and some fitness experts believe them to be dangerous.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Why must you post this crap EVERY SINGLE DAY?

This is why so much of the fitness community downs crossfit. It is not that we do not like crossfit, it is that we do not like 90% of crossfitters who have the constant compulsive need to be validated that what they are doing is considered a workout to everyone else.

This is exactly why crossfitters experience so much "hate." Most of you are like the digital jehovah witness' of the fitness community. Don't you have enough fully dedicated CF websites to spew useless studies about obvious general observations with working out? Or is this like a mating call you use for other crossfitters to see so you can all come in a thread and begin the buttloving?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Lift things up and put them down.............wait wut huh....sounds too simple and cheap........don't need a 150/mo membership or trainer coach

Good for you!

Some people like the community and the coaching, though. The money argument is tired.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

This is why so much of the fitness community downs crossfit. It is not that we do not like crossfit, it is that we do not like 90% of crossfitters who have the constant compulsive need to be validated that what they are doing is considered a workout to everyone else.

This is exactly why crossfitters experience so much "hate." Most of you are like the digital jehovah witness' of the fitness community. Don't you have enough fully dedicated CF websites to spew useless studies about obvious general observations with working out? Or is this like a mating call you use for other crossfitters to see so you can all come in a thread and begin the buttloving?
    LOL, priceless post.

Slow-Clap.gif
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options

It's information if you don't like it don't read it. You know all this stuff already so move on. I posted it because I see negativity on CF. So I put it up for others. Not you. Go post I lift weights all day because you have time. I won't read it.

It's 2 days every day would mean every day.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    So where's the group doing LISS, or the other group doing 5x5?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage was estimated using whole body plethysmography ...

This is also funny.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It's information if you don't like it don't read it. You know all this stuff already so move on. I posted it because I see negativity on CF. So I put it up for others. Not you. Go post I lift weights all day because you have time. I won't read it.

This really doesn't count as information. It's barely noise.

I can understand you wanting to advocate for Crossfit, but this is not the way to do it. Touting this sort of BS "study" as some sort of proof only creates resentment and outrage. All you're doing by posting this sort of thread is creating more backlash against CF.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It's 2 days every day would mean every day.

What information does it provide? Since it has a major confounder in diet not being controlled for, the results could be entirely due to their diets and little to nothing to do with Crossfit
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

That is the thing. I come in, see something labeled crossfit so and so and think, "you know what, maybe today might be the day! Maybe today something is posted that isn't completely laughable, I shall click on this link." Then I see your avatar and my heart instantly drops as I know there is maybe only 5% chance in hell that you might possibly post something of real value other than "working out helps your fitness, crossfit number 1!" Then I browse and realize that the 5% chance I give you needs to be re-adjusted down to maybe 1% just because I do not believe anything is impossible.

AND

You see so much negativity towards crossfit because people like you make these threads like this. I honestly feel bad for the crossfit population that does want to be taken seriously or has something USEFUL to post.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

This really doesn't count as information. It's barely noise.

I can understand you wanting to advocate for Crossfit, but this is not the way to do it. Touting this sort of BS "study" as some sort of proof only creates resentment and outrage. All you're doing by posting this sort of thread is creating more backlash against CF.

^So much this.

I'm with ya buddy. I love CrossFit. But, for the sake of all of us CrossFitters, please stop. All these posts are doing are proving the haters right...and your giving Health_Gal a reason to PM people again.