Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    eat less than you burn.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    No need to yell. :laugh:

You just have to eat below your TDEE.

Google TDEE, Scoobys workshop or IIFYM.com and they'll tell you what your TDEE is.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Your total daily calorie/energy expenditure (TDEE) is how many calories you burn in a day. Eating less than that creates a defecit. For example my TDEE with exercise is roughly 2100, a 20% defecit for me is eating 1680 calories daily.

Note: MFP calculates a defecit for you by default but you can adjust it if you want/need.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Your total daily calorie/energy expenditure (TDEE) is how many calories you burn in a day. Eating less than that creates a defecit. For example my TDEE with exercise is roughly 2100, a 20% defecit for me is eating 1680 calories daily.

Note: MFP calculates a defecit for you by default but you can adjust it if you want/need.

this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    When you say eat at a "defecit"
    Im still learning and just trying to understand what this means

Let's say to maintain your current weight you need 2,200 calories everyday. To lose 1 pound a week you need a 3,500 calorie deficit for the week. That would translate into a 500 calorie deficit every day. Those 500 calories can come from diet AND/OR exercise.

You plug in "I want to lose XX pounds per week" and MFP will do the math. Keep in mind MFP will give you a deficit without including ANY exercise. MFP gives you "bonus" calories for exercise when you log it. These bonus calories are added back so that your deficit is not too big. When you try to lose weight too quickly......some of your "weight" loss will be healthy muscle mass.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Huh. I guess I've benn in the dark here. I just eat how many calories it tells me to. I learnded something tuday!!! :smokin:
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    I ve lost weight so I recalculated my TDEE

34 y/o female 251lbs at 66 in

My BMR is 1901 (MFP has me at 1875 but all these numbers are estimates)

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 2276
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2608
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2940
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 3272
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3604

I use the lightly active setting becasue besides exercise (meaning actually going to DO some activity). I do housework, drive, clean, shop, run after my 10 month old, do things with my 11 yr old, fuss, parenting, walk to the mailbox, etc. these things I dont COUNT as "exercise" so thats how I determined my activity level. So:

2608- 20%(deficit) = 2086/ day with my fitness committment of minimum of 30 min/day for 6 days. this is the TDEE method..
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    So which one of these do I subtract the 20% from
    Your BMR is:2233
    Calories/DayYour TDEE is:3266
    Calories/Day
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    So which one of these do I subtract the 20% from
    Your BMR is:2233
    Calories/DayYour TDEE is:3266
    Calories/Day