Why am I not losing Weight?!!!!

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    So - you picked out one sentence out of the many that I wrote and chose to take offence. Well I'm sorry that you took offence at me saying that those who log ABSOLUTELY everything, are athletes, professionals, and maybe a little obsessed, as being derogatory. That isn't what I was implying. If you don't want to consider yourself as an athlete or professional then fine. I like rock climbing, I'm obsessed with it and I don't mind admitting it. Logging everything isn't realistic for many people. I'll stress my point again - the girl needs support not blunt criticism.

Yay! I'm an athlete and a professional because I log everything all the time! I'm flattered!

me too! High five! I must be super ocd because I put things on a scale, too! :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You're not building muscle but if you've upped exercise recently, you could be retaining water for muscle repair. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. That's helped me. :)

Why do you say she's not building muscle? Muscles repair is muscle growth!

you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit...

and OP said she is sometimes only eating 1000 cals...., which will not leave enough emerge for building muscle...

I was merely pointing out the contradiction! Plus what you said is a myth.

what myth are you referring to?

You can build muscle on a calorie deficit its just much much harder. And mate, why are you all guns blazing at me tonight? Chill! I'm just trying to give the girl some support.

Welcome to MFP, a site dedicated to food and exercise logging.

I see you have showed up, posting of how difficult and unrealistic food logging are. You have furthermore decided to pick fights with people who are obviously far more experienced and successful than yourself.

So welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your stay.

"You have furthermore decided to pick fights with people who are obviously far more experienced and successful than yourself." - eh?

I haven't picked a fight with anybody and please, quit the exaggerating (I said SOME people find it unrealistic to log food). And what evidence have you got to say that someone is more successful than an other? Well I give up because it seems to me that some people on MFP are far too critical and all bent on demoralising, which completely defeats the object of the site's purpose.

"I think that becoming a logger of absolutely everything (unless you're a professional athlete) is a bit extreme, verging on OCD, and somewhat unrealistic"

You realize that most people on MFP log everything right? It's not like it's any easier to log 90% of your food than it is 100% anyway.

You show up and pretty much immediately call most of the people on MFP extreme and OCD. What do you expect?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So - you picked out one sentence out of the many that I wrote and chose to take offence. Well I'm sorry that you took offence at me saying that those who log ABSOLUTELY everything, are athletes, professionals, and maybe a little obsessed, as being derogatory. That isn't what I was implying. If you don't want to consider yourself as an athlete or professional then fine. I like rock climbing, I'm obsessed with it and I don't mind admitting it. Logging everything isn't realistic for many people. I'll stress my point again - the girl needs support not blunt criticism.

Yay! I'm an athlete and a professional because I log everything all the time! I'm flattered!

me too! High five! I must be super ocd because I put things on a scale, too! :wink:

Same here! With logging AND measuring/weighing everything! I'm super pro like that....not because I feel having an accurate diary helps me know where I might be going wrong, if I'm coming in too low on in the week on my macros or even micros.

Then again, most of the people who have been successful have admitted to logging everything so....oh noes! To be successful we must become OCD (or more so depending on the case) and pro athletes! Ermagghaadd!! :laugh:
  • riveroflight
    Options
    *How* are you working out? And, *what* are you eating, and when? Keep up the calorie restriction, for sure, and add to your workout something that gets you absolutely breathless for awhile, like a short HIIT cardio. Try not eating after 9pm, and working out in the morning, wait an hour before eating. *Walk* on a treadmill for 30 min right after your workout.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me-Then I started eating more. 1200 to 1350, then I started losing again.....
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I see others have already looked at your diary and noted that you have not been netting 1200 calories consistently for awhile. So that would be a great place to start. I also agree with the heart rate monitor idea, so you have a better understanding of what you are burning during exercise.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    You're not building muscle but if you've upped exercise recently, you could be retaining water for muscle repair. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. That's helped me. :)

Why do you say she's not building muscle? Muscles repair is muscle growth!

Muscle repair restores the muscle and increases strength. It does not increase it in size (i.e. 'growth').
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    -You're incorrectly logging food

-You're not in a caloric deficit

-You're not eating the proper foods so that your body wants to burn fat (I'm not say there are fat burning foods, but you can't build a fire with no wood)

She's said that she is logging her food, being honest about it and coming in at her 1200 calorie goal. What you just said is in effect calling her a liar - that's kind of rude, don't you think?

Sweetie - there are many things that prevent weight loss or cause weight gain - stress, not enough sleep, medication, not eating enough, not eating often enough, medical problems, menstrual cycle, water retention, fat being replaced with muscle tissue. When someone is not over weight it is also much much harder to lose weight. My advice keep doing what you are doing because it is a healthy lifestyle thing, throw out your scales and concentrate on the tape measure and what you look like in the mirror. Good luck!

It's not rude at all. This frequently the problem when someone comes on here asking why they are not losing weight. And, in fact, when OP opened her diary, we found out she in fact has NOT been faithfully eating 1200 a day as she previously stated. Ooops.

Why don't you hang around a bit, read some threads and learn a little bit before you start jumping down people's throats.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    -You're incorrectly logging food

-You're not in a caloric deficit

-You're not eating the proper foods so that your body wants to burn fat (I'm not say there are fat burning foods, but you can't build a fire with no wood)

She's said that she is logging her food, being honest about it and coming in at her 1200 calorie goal. What you just said is in effect calling her a liar - that's kind of rude, don't you think?

Sweetie - there are many things that prevent weight loss or cause weight gain - stress, not enough sleep, medication, not eating enough, not eating often enough, medical problems, menstrual cycle, water retention, fat being replaced with muscle tissue. When someone is not over weight it is also much much harder to lose weight. My advice keep doing what you are doing because it is a healthy lifestyle thing, throw out your scales and concentrate on the tape measure and what you look like in the mirror. Good luck!

It's not rude at all. This frequently the problem when someone comes on here asking why they are not losing weight. And, in fact, when OP opened her diary, we found out she in fact has NOT been faithfully eating 1200 a day as she previously stated. Ooops.

Why don't you hang around a bit, read some threads and learn a little bit before you start jumping down people's throats.

^^^Yep.

Telling a person who is netting less than 1000 calories per day (at least the OP thinks they are) can be construed as dangerous and avocation of a VLCD. And please to tell those on said VLCD that they're "gaining muscle mass".
  • sridge12
    Options
    I hit the gym again 5 weeks ago and have been consistent for all 5 weeks ago- but up until 1 week ago I saw NOTHING on the scale and was getting discouraged.. but then I started studying and talking to trainers at the gym and they said because I am working out- I am replacing fat with muscle (which weigh the same) so I may not see anything on the scale. Here I am 5 weeks later, (and I've stopped weighing myself all together)- and I am 2 pant sizes down and my bras and shirts are even loose. It took 5 weeks to see this.. but my body is getting smaller! Don't focus on the scales - just eat clean and keep working.. your body will change!
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Monday I ate like a pig haha so a little hesitant to open my diary. I do log EVERYTHING though, so good or bad days...I'm sticking to that so far.
    I record my beer, candy .and everything else. If I wanted to hide it I (a) wouldn't enter and and even (b) not even be on MFP. Gotta open up to get help...
  • trickduffin
    trickduffin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are 11 potential reasons!!

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

But, the only one that matters is that you're not in enough of a caloric deficit. Be honest with yourself, and I promise that you'll start losing weight when you fix whatever is wrong.

I'm a 5' 10" man and I'm EATING ~1850 calories in a day being mostly sedentary (at work) and then I NET about 1,100 after cardio and a workout. After about 4 weeks, I'm down 9 pounds, almost all a loss of fat (according to my BF monitoring scale).

Good Luck!
  • RGv2
    Options
    I hit the gym again 5 weeks ago and have been consistent for all 5 weeks ago- but up until 1 week ago I saw NOTHING on the scale and was getting discouraged.. but then I started studying and talking to trainers at the gym and they said because I am working out- I am replacing fat with muscle (which weigh the same) so I may not see anything on the scale. Here I am 5 weeks later, (and I've stopped weighing myself all together)- and I am 2 pant sizes down and my bras and shirts are even loose. It took 5 weeks to see this.. but my body is getting smaller! Don't focus on the scales - just eat clean and keep working.. your body will change!

No, you're not replacing fat with muscle.

It is EXTREMELY hard to put muscle mass on, especially as a female. You started a new training remimine. Due to that your body is retaining water for muscle repair as the body adapts. If you are lifting, and in a caloric deficit you are retaining water and maintaining muscle mass. This way you are losing mostly fat. That is why you're getting smaller but the scale isn't changing. After your body adapts to the workouts, you'll begin to lose that water weight.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wow, that escalated quickly. Waiting for thread lockdown in T-minus 5... 4... 3... 2...

LOL
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The amount of ignorant advice given on these forums on a daily bases ASTOUNDS me lol
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    As a blanket answer to several statements made in various posts.
    I am a few weeks shy of 66 years old, I have no thyroid, which makes me by definition super-hypo thyroid, I am only five feet tall, I no longer lift weight, I walk a minimum of 30 minutes a day as fast as ai can ( brisk pace in the MFP data base ), I do not own a heart rate monitor, I have no other devises that measure calories burnt, I own no home exercise equipment. This means to many people that I am obviously not serious about weight loss and that I am a poor candidate because of age, health and lack of exercise.
    I do however own a food scale. I weigh everything and log everything even though I am not a professional athlete, am not OCD and have no obesessions whatsoever.........and I have lost 40 pounds since April. Is that a freakish out of the oradinary circumstance ? I think not, I eat at a deficit and make sure through correct logging that I stay in control of that deficit.....end of story.
    In my FL there are quite a few people who do the same with the same kind of success......through calorie counting to maintain deficit and logging.....
    My diary is open for anyone to check......

heretic!

Blasphemy against the MFP way!

How can such common sense prevail!
  • RGv2
    Options
    The amount of ignorant advice given on these forums on a daily bases ASTOUNDS me lol

But it makes the day go by fast...:smile:
  • salamagundy
    Options
    Excess carbohydrates is usually the decisive factor in not being able to lose weight - irrespective of how many calories you consume.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Excess carbohydrates is usually the decisive factor in not being able to lose weight - irrespective of how many calories you consume.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Gonna say No, to that.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Please don't ever post anything, ever again.