can you lose weight when pregnant?

Options
just found out im expecting baby number 5 :D
so happy.. but i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol

has anyone lost weight and weighed less when they had their baby than they did when they got pregnant?

Replies

• Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Congrats on baby # 5!!! That's so wonderful :smile:

With my son, I didn't weigh less when I had him than before I got pregnant, but I did lose weight during the first trimester. The loss was due to my switching to a healthy diet (as opposed to fast food, and essentially eating whatever I felt like) and no longer having booze (which I did a lot before I got pregnant).

I also did Gabrielle Reece: Fit and Healthy Prenatal Workouts through most of my pregnancy. It's not strenuous at all but it gets the heart rate up and helps with flexibility.

I really think all you can do is eat healthy when you can and exercise when you feel like you have the energy, as long as your Doctor has given you the ok. Your health is important to both you and your baby, but you should enjoy the pregnancy as much as possible and don't stress too much about the number on the scale!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible to lose body fat. but I'm no expert (I'm male for one thing). but I would imagine that if you reduce your carbohydrate count and stick to fats and proteins that your baby would be fine and you will weigh less after the baby is born than you did before you got pregnant. the body will simply rationalize around your low carb diet and rationalize away the excess fat. there's no particular biological imperative to gain fat while pregnant.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If you're already overweight, there's no reason for you to put on any more. When I was pregnant with my son, my doctor said that staying at my already overweight self (165 at the time) would be just fine but that I shouldn't try to lose it (I had no intention of trying). If you're maintaining your weight then your baby will be getting all the nutrients it needs, assuming you're eating a nutritionally sound diet.

I also lost weight during my first trimester but that's because I had morning sickness all day for the first three months and couldn't keep anything down. Then it stopped and my appetite caught up with me. My plans for remaining the same weight got lost in my desire to gorge and my lack of self control.

Congrats on your 5th and here's to a happy, healthy pregnancy.
  • all4yum
    all4yum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    pregnancy is not the time to try and lose weight. Eat a healthy diet, high in GOOD fats and low GI, and your body will do what it needs to do. It's not worth putting your baby's life at risk by dieting. I just ate a diabetic diet and very healthily and I only gained 2lbs the entire pregnancy, without exercise because I was on bedrest. But I didn't try to diet. Now is the time to nourish your body, your body will need 300-500 extra calories a day to feed the baby from the second trimester onwards. Gentle exercise will help too, but the rule is not to start anything new during pregnancy.

Three weeks after pregnancy I weighed 28ish pounds less that when I started pregnancy, but I regained most of it :(
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I know of women who have lost weight during their pregnancies but never on purpose. They just kept the same habits as they had previous to becoming pregnant and because they hadn't increased food intake or reduce exercise, they ended up losing weight.

I think the biggest thing is check with your doctor. If you are currently overweight and there is some weight to spare I'd imagine it's probably okay. If you're extremely skinny and there's not much weight on ya then it's probably not good.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    but i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol

This scares me. You do realize what's happening inside your body, right?
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was 170 when I got pregnant and my doctor advised me not to go crazy gaining weight, but that I should gain 10-15 pounds. I ended up gaining 18.

But really...this is something you should ask your doctor.

Eat nutrient dense foods. Take care of your body and your baby.

Congratulations, babies are exciting! :smile:
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I lost weight during both of my pregnancies but it wasn't planned. I just cut out soda, candy, and ate more fruits and veggies naturally. I was trying to eat better for the babies rather than trying to lose weight, that was just a bonus.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes? Is it advisable? No....I would talk to your doctor; you really should gain some weight when pregnant because your baby needs the nutrients and you can't subtract them all from your body.
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your doctor. I know it's possible not to have gained any weight after the child's been born (my mom fit into her regular pants 3 days after she had me), but I don't know about if it's safe to actively diet and restrict calories while you're feeding something inside you.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i've been pregnant 3 times, although none of them came to term because of complications.

i only lost weight once, when it was an ectopic pregnancy.

i would think you have to gain weight, since you kind of have a human growing in you. not much though even if you gain like 12 lbs it should come off fairly easy with exercise after birthing.

congrats and good luck.

and you only need to eat an extra 300 cals the last trimester for the baby, so don't think you have to eat like hundreds of calories extra daily, because that isn't true. if you eat like that you really shouldn't gain a lot, maybe just the weight of the baby.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    GO TALK TO YOUR DR / MIDWIFE / OBGYN
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about it. My daughter is five months pregnant and is sort of dieting with her doctor's support as she's slipped a disc and needs to hold her weight down to prevent extra pressure on her back. It's basically healthy eating but she has a calorie limit that she must get up to for the sake of her health because the baby will take what it needs anyway.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 15 weeks pregnant with no. 3 now and I've put on a bit of weight. I was feeling really nauseous for a few weeks and eating was the only thing that helped. I ate more carbs than I usually would, and loads of fruit, but didn't stuff my face with junk. I've never really eaten junk anyway, and I rarely drink, so it's not like I can suddenly cut out anything super calorific!

Now I'm starting to feel better and have more energy i can focus more on being healthy and exercising as much as possible.

I'd be happy to reach my due date and have gained 30lbs or less. I figure the baby will be around 8lbs (my son was 7lbs 13, my daughter 8lbs10. Both overdue, 10 days and 12 days), then I'll lose fluid, the placenta etc, so would be down 15 or so lbs in the first few days.

Just eat healthily and exercise and don't stress if you gain a little bit of weight.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    GO TALK TO YOUR DR / MIDWIFE / OBGYN

You. I like you.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My wife is currently pregnant with our second child. She is 8 1/2 months pregnant and down 5lbs or so. The first time around she was 25 lbs less than we she started when she was 9 months pregnant.

She wasn't trying to lose weight but has been gestational diabetic both pregnancies. This requires her to watch her carbs and monitor foods and blood sugars. Her and the baby's health, however, is very closely monitored the entire time. She sees her OB, Nutritionist, and Diabetic Counselor regularly. In fact, now towards the end of the pregnancy as the risks go up for baby she sees goes in for an ultrasound once a week and on another day a non-stress test once a week.

As an above post already stated pregnancy is not the time to attempt to lose weight. You could, however, talk to your OB and get an appointment with a Nutritionist about weight concerns and food intake with pregnancy. You have to make sure your baby and you are both getting proper intake.

I don't wish gestational diabetes on anyone and I pray that the baby and mom will remain healthy. I know the first time around we thought it was bad news but ended up being a blessing because I lost 100lbs and she ended up losing 60lbs the first time around.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    GET PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. on losing/maintaining/gaining weight while pregnant.

END OF STORY.
  • Feisty_one
    Feisty_one Posts: 81 Member
    Options

of course i do, its my 5th baby, im also going to do midwifery in 2 years :)
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would definitely ask your doctor. If you are severely overweight they may let you loose some. However the general recommendation is to NOT loose weight during pregnancy. When I found out I was pregnant I upped my 1600 calorie diet to 2000. (I've kinda stopped paying attention to that but still). My midwife said that was a perfectly fine diet for pregnancy. (5ft 6' 200 lb's start... I've since gained 8 lbs and am on week 18.)

You can however continue to eat healthy and exercise. By doing that you may be able to leave pregnancy at close to your pre-pregnancy weight.

However, I will say, if you care about your baby... Don't be too obsessed with a few lb's during pregnancy... Normal pregnancy weight gain should be 25-35 lbs... If you are overweight like me, 15-25 lbs. Underweight 18-40... ONLY if you are considered severely 'obese' would it be recommended you loose weight during pregnancy.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes? Is it advisable? No....I would talk to your doctor; you really should gain some weight when pregnant because your baby needs the nutrients and you can't subtract them all from your body.

^^ I agree with this. ^^