Almost fainted yesterday?

Options
Hi guys -- just wanted your opinion on the following and whether or not I should call my doctor.

Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in a week to do strength/core training with my trainer for an hour. I felt like the session itself was moderate in intensity. I hadn't eaten anything other than a bag of pretzels and some tea all day (stupid, I know, it was one of those days though).

When I left the gym I felt fine, just a little tired but it was 7pm and I had just finished working out so that seemed expected. I took a cab home because it was quicker than the subway. Mid-way through the ride I was looking down at my phone reading something and then when I looked up again, all of a sudden I felt like the car was going a million miles per hour and my ears started ringing and I got incredibly dizzy. I thought I was going to pass out, but I just told myself to take deep breaths and I opened the window to get some fresh air and so I didn't faint. This has NEVER happened to me before, and I've been doing similar style workouts for a couple months now with no problems.

Do you think it was just a matter of not eating much earlier? I drank plenty of water during the workout and beforehand. My heart rate felt pretty normal and honestly I felt absolutely fine until the moment I didn't (no nausea or anything). Should I call my doctor?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Do you think it was just a matter of not eating much earlier?

Most likely, yes.
    If you had eaten a meal 1-2 hours before, then i might suspect something else besides low fuel in the tank.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I had to fast for a biometrics screening at work. They give you the results back after 10 min and they asked me if I was feeling ok, so obviously I was like "yes..WHY?!?!" and they said my blood sugar was so low from fasting that they were scared I was going to drop. Could've been what happened to you too, especially with the energy expenditure from the workout. Do you feel fine now? If you still feel weird I would definitely call your doc, or if it happens again. Good luck!
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't think a bag of pretzels is enough to fuel you... just IMHO :)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is because you didn't eat. No need to call the doctor.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of low blood sugar and weight training. After training, blood goes to your muscles to repair the damage so a bit less to the brain. More fluids would have helped I suspect.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Given the circumstances, yeah I think it was probably your diet for the day. Make sure you eat enough, at least something a bit before you workout.

After a day busy enough to where you only took in maybe 500 calories at most, and worked out, by 7pm your body probably felt like crap.

Now if it happens again and your nutrition is otherwise sufficient, go see a doctor.
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds more like a case of vertigo. Did you have any recent cold / ear infections? Some times even salty diet (pretzels ) and fluid imbalance can cause it. You must have sweated out, so loss of electrolytes.

On a side note, dont work out when you haven't eaten some thing decent. You will not work out efficiently, lose form and injure yourself.