Stop putting apostrophes where they don't belong!

Options
13»

Replies

• erilynbmore
    erilynbmore Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    oh's no's my's keyboard's put's apostrophe's in's every's word's!
    HELP'S ME'S!!
  • LibertyBelle_75
    LibertyBelle_75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes! This drives me nuts!
    Worst case I have seen was a sign to direct people out of the station to where the taxi rank and bus stops had moved to, it said "Taxi's & Buse's". And I saw it everyday, twice a day for several months and wanted to correct it each time! :explode:

I completely agree, but I feel inclined to point out the irony of your statement. "Everyday" should actually be "every day" in this scenario. Nothin' but love, though. :wink:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I' w'i'l'l' p'u't' a'p'o's't'r'o'p'h'e's' w'h'e'r'e e'v'e'r' I' w'a'n't t'o''.'

'''''''''''''''''''''''
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Sitting back sucking on my favorite candy's watching videos of cute kitty's and baby's waiting to see where this goes.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    They don't make words plural!!

PVhwj5T.gif

While you hate apostrophes, I will hate on multiple exclamation marks:

jazzhands.jpg
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    or not using them at all in contractions.

Im guilty of this :ohwell:

At least you are aware of it. :)
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    *Apostrophe's

I see what you did there.. :wink:

Too be honest, many times it's a typo. You still understood what the author of the post was saying didn't you?
    Absolutely. The ability to recognize a typo means that I was able to understand its context. If you ask me, it's a little...useless how people get their underwear in a bunch over conventional errors. It's like most of the time, people point mistakes out to feel good about themselves, instead of actually helping the person become a more effective communicator.

Another thing, sometimes people will point things out that actually AREN'T wrong, like starting sentences with "and." Perhaps it's less correct in scholarly papers, but this is an internet forum. It all just looks silly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_English_usage_misconceptions
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Interesting, looks like a couple of posts have been deleted.

I had a flash of brilliance so I will say it anyway for anyone who thinks this is petty or insignificant.

Just as how in person we are judged first by outward appearance, in online communication we are judged by our ability to express ourselves using written words. Poor grasp of or disregard for rules of grammar makes writing more difficult to understand and undermines the writer's credibility. It's like going to the grocery store in your pajamas.

I think it is generally possible to tell mistakes made by non-native English speakers from people who don't know or bother to take the time to use correct punctuation, etc.

No, it's not the worst thing in the world, but it does matter IMO.

This is the perfect explanation, AGREED.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

PVhwj5T.gif

^^^

This is seriously EXACTLY how I feel about this sometimes. IT'S. NOT. HARD. You can't AAAAALLL be English-as-a-second-language! You have ZERO excuses for not applying basic knowledge you learned in fricking third grade.

33118762.jpg
  • ALKNica
    ALKNica Posts: 50
    Options
    For those grammar lovers, if you haven't read the the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, written by Lynne Truss, I highly recommend it. It is one of the most entertaining books I've read.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

This's f'ing serious!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    apostrophes pfft
    you are forgetting those people who cannot construct a sentence using full stops and commas, now that is :explode:

If you spoke how you type you would die of asphyxiation

Hypoxiation is the word you want. :wink:
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lq4ekboGgB1qht847.gif
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    For those grammar lovers, if you haven't read the the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, written by Lynne Truss, I highly recommend it. It is one of the most entertaining books I've read.

True, it's entertaining as well as seriously making a point for correct use of the language. I have a dear friend who teaches English to Arabic and Asian students, and I gave her a copy. I also gave her a t-shirt that says " Lets eat Grandma. Let's eat, Grandma. Commas save lives." Lynn Truss has written several other books on this subject, including "Twenty-Odd Ducks" and "The Girl's Like Spaghetti".