Going to bed hungry?

Options

Replies

• Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I find that eating before bed keeps me awake most of the time. On the other hand...

If I don't eat before bed, I wake up in the morning easier. I have a good appetite in the morning, therefore I'll eat a good breakfast. If I eat an early breakfast, then I perform better throughout my entire day.

/chain-reaction

To each his/her own.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT... Im with the others that said they cant go to bed hungry... ill lay awake forever!

Ill usually have a WW string cheese or some fruit if im hungry around bed time.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just signed onto "myfitnesspal" I need to at least lose 20 pounds by December 2 for some surgery. I started my loss Oct 16 and to date have lost 8 pounds. Yes, on going to bed hungry it does definitely make you lose weight. However, since I started this loss I am eating very small amounts of food and I am hungry most of the time but to get the weight loss its worth it for me.

Tamara

Down 45 pounds since joining MFP and 75 pounds total. I eat a bowl of cereal nearly every night, about an hour before bed. Calorie deficits cause weight loss. It matters not at all when you choose to consume those calories.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    If you do feel hungry going to bed eat somthing light like a rice cake...don't hit the cookies or the cheese wizz...be good

This does not work for me. I need my pre-bedtime dessert fix.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should make it your goal to "be hungry at the end of the night" ...because that's kind of similar to starving yourself. :/ but I think if you've reached your caloric limit for the day, and say you just worked out or something, so youre a little hungry, there is no harm in that.
    but i wouldnt TRY to be hungry before bed.

when i started losing weight i was really hungry before bed and its annoying, but i had to tell myself "no", now i dont eat later than 6/6:30 (and i go to bed at 9:30) and now my body is trained and doesnt get hungry anymore until the morning!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A fitness instructor friend of mine told me the best way to lose weight is to go to bed hungry. I've never done this but I wondered what your thought are on it?

It may seem silly, but yes, if I go to bed hungry, I know I'm doing it right.

ETA: Personally I do better overall if I eat the majority of my calories early in the day. I seem to be able withstand the hunger pangs better at night. All of this assumes that I have met my calorie requirements, nutrients and macros.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Pffft I can't sleep if I'm hungry. Even if I'm totally and utterly exhausted I'll sleep for a couple of hours and wake up ravenous.

I would rather go hungry all day and get a filling meal before bed if I had to choose.

THIS
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think there is a certain reason, you can try some of the following methods should be helpful to you in:
    (1) drinking water. But be careful not to exceed 200ml, drink plenty of water before going to bed because the next day is likely to cause swelling.
    (2) brush. Because brushing can suppress appetite, for people who lose weight, it is a method of controlling appetite. But if one day brushing teeth too many times, it is not very good for teeth, brush your teeth with toothpaste so every time the amount is less.
    (3) continuous pressing recess 16 under the chin, can reduce hunger. Since there is a recess in the chin point, it can play a similar role in our stomach switch, continuous pressing under 16, you will feel less hungry.

Oh my. This is especially broscientifical. :ohwell:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,213 Member
    Options
    Yet another poster who can't sleep when she's hungry, ate a sizable snack every single night before bedtime (generally PB&J on an English muffin) and got to her goal weight.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I can't think of a good reason for suggesting that. I too can't sleep if I'm hungry. As long as you have room for it in your calorie macro, it doesn't hurt you. I do a ~400 calorie snack of yogurt with granola and sugar-free jam or fruit somewhere between 8 :30 - 9:30, and go to bed about 11:00.
  • smaclean8
    smaclean8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes being hungry is part of dieting depending on your total calories and how you're fulfilling your macros, but losing weight has nothing to do with whether you eat before going to bed.

My advice-- find a daily calorie allotment based on RMR and activity level, then track all calories by weighing everything eaten throughout the day.
    Then, for example, if it is bedtime and you've eaten 1450 of your total daily "allowed" calories, say its 1700 based on the previous factors of RMR & activity, then have up to a 250 calorie snack if you're hungry.

If you have calculated properly, measured your food and you've consumed all of your calories for the day but you're still hungry, then try one of the following:
    Drinking water 8-16 oz of water
    Taking a cool shower, this can lower your body temp and help you fall asleep
    Drinking decaffienated hot tea or one cup of warmed chicken broth (15-20 calories)
    Reading to make yourself more tired

Or you can go over your calories for the day if none of those help. But remember you did and try to make up for over the next few days. So if you have a 200 calorie snack over your daily amt, eat 40 calories under for the next 5 days to regain your calorie deficit and stay on track.

Your friend is dingy and I feel bad for her if she is going to bed hungry all the time because she thinks it has some magical effect on her weight loss.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I usually have a "dessert coffee" (ie nice coffee with 2TBSP yummy flavored creamer) IF I'm really hungry about 8 or 9pm I'll have a cup of dried cereal. Fixes those crazy night time munchie attacks!
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine going hungry anytime of day. If you wait until your 'hungry' to eat, you have waited too long.
    My goal is to keep my metabolism up. I have cottage cheese and fruit (pick your own healthy favorite) in bed everynight at 11~ even if dinner was at nine!

Food itself is not the enemy. Eat enough of the right foods all day long, sleep well and wake up hungry for more :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eating in a deficit makes you lose weight...not some magical broscience of going to bed hungry ...

meal timing and metabolism are irrelevant...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    NO ...
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If your building some muscle while excecising Sleep is VERY important...end result weight loss.
    So if you are hungry at that time eat something light.
    Try to not eat just before bed time though.
  • Target126
    Target126 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who cannot sleep if I am hungry, but I have found since changing my eating habits that 90% of the time I don't get munchie attacks around 9.30pm like I always used to, also if I do get a munchie attack I am now better at deciphering whether it is real hunger or just boredom so I don't just attack the kitchen on auto pilot.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OK, that's a fairly compelling consensus! Thank you.
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    you wont sleep well if you go to bed hungry, then you'd wake up the next day feeling miserable and you'll probably end up overeating, i make sure not to go to bed hungry, from experience.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I always eat a snack if I'm hungry at 9. I try not to snack after that. If I'm not sure if I'm peckish or really hungry, I'll not eat. It almost always goes away and I wake up fine and not hungry. But if I'm really hungry - your body is telling you something you need to listen to.

Eat something small and satisfying like some nuts or a few spoonfuls of plain yoghurt or even a piece of chocolate.