Stood my ground 3 times this week! (Long)

Options
kealey1318
kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
First let me say that I'm back after being off MFP for 18 months. I'm so glad to be back and I'm 5 days into my new lifestyle. I'm confident that the steps I'm taking this time will ensure my success and I plan to borrow the AA slogan "One day at a time!"

During the work week is when I typically excel with sticking to my food plan. Weekends historically have been the more challenging days that I have faltered. However, I'm working a new job and there seem to be a couple new roadblocks that I need to work around.

Tuesday we had an Ice Cream Social reward for fundraising. Only my second day in and bam, first hurdle! I knew that if I even stepped in the room, I could kiss my day, and possibly my fledgling diet, goodbye. Instead I declined attending and took 35 minutes (they scheduled an hour for the social) to go outside and I walked 2.12 miles. My time wasn't amazing, but I was proud of my choice!

The next day people had cookies, brownies and chex mix left over from a meeting. I am an Executive Assistant so guess where those goodies typically go for the group to congregate? If you guessed my desk, you'd be 100% accurate. This time I asked them to please locate the treats near the printer in respect to my diet. I was happy that with little fuss they accommodated my limitations!

Flash forward to today and I'm so proud for being diligent with logging my food; trying to mentally prepare for the weekend. My boss (a lovely 120-pound super fit tornado of energy) stops at my desk and tells me that when I go grocery shopping this weekend, to pick up a couple bags of candy to put out on my desk. I looked at her in astonishment and asked "Did you just ask the girl on a strict diet to go buy you candy and you want to put it on my desk?" She explained to me that I needed to learn discipline and that this would be a good way to do it. I call bull$hit! I explained to her that I couldn't buy the candy, nor could I have it on my desk. We argued for a minute or so but I think she could tell that I was not going to budge.

Before, I don't know what I would have done in any one of these situations. Combined they blow me away and I am so glad I was able to firmly decline any of the temptations thrown my way!!! I feel so proud and I'm a little less scared about what the weekend will bring because I feel like I'm prepared to make tough choices that I couldn't always do before!

Thanks so much for reading and being such a fantastic support system for me! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Replies

• tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on standing your ground. The last one, however, took the cake. She decided that you needed to be tested? So she was doing you a favor? That sounds ridiculous. And I'm glad you stood up for yourself. It also reminds me why I never tell folks I'm on a diet. I just smile and say "no thank you" a lot. People have all kinds of ways that they want to "help you out" when you even mention the word diet. And most of those ways are some variation of ridiculous...
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Regarding the interaction with your boss, that was really inappropriate behavior. It's good you wrote down the details of the interaction.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bravo! I'm impressed:flowerforyou:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thats great! What a crazy thing for your boss to say! I would be pissed!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I hope that is the end of your bosses..."tests". Just a suggestion: You could always go get a bowl of fruit or a plant for the desk. Then you wouldn't have all that room for the extras and no one would have to ask. Keep up the great work you! :flowerforyou:
  • debbieklann
    debbieklann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed! Who is to say your boss should tell you how to test and discipline yourself anyway??? Good for you! I know you will be successful!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up from me! You were absolutely right to stand your ground. Your boss certainly wouldn't want that candy on HER desk.

I work in an office loaded with cake, candy, and junk food, and believe me, I understand where you are coming from. It's not only hard on my weight, but I get terrible migraines if I eat more than a small amount of chocolate. People still load my desk with chocolate gifts every Christmas. I've been to the emergency room twice with migraines I couldn't stop -- and I got them from the crap food in my office. This year is different. I'm not pretending anymore. I'm telling people I don't eat sugar anymore when they bring food gifts or offer me ice cream and cake, and that includes clients. If people get offended they can just get over it.

Keep saying no in a pleasant, firm manner. No, no, no, no, and eventually they will get it. They can't fire you for it, either. Keep standing up for yourself.
  • aphrodite0727
    aphrodite0727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That wasn't that long first of all! lol Secondly...WOW. High freakin five! ;) You did awesome this week. I am super impressed you stood up to your boss too. Was that the only reason she told you to do so? as a test? Some people. You did awesome. Super proud!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If your boss wants chocolates, she can buy them herself! Or, if she was going to give you money, you could buy crappy stuff you don't like? Why would someone suggest you test yourself so early anyway? There are tests everywhere, every day. It's difficult enough without adding anything.

Anyway, there will always be someone around judging your food choices and telling you that it's okay to have one bite, one cookie, one whatever. Really, they need to mind their own business!

Stay strong!
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You are my hero. Please be my friend. :flowerforyou:
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    congrats! I'd be so proud if I did those things! Great self-control and great job standing up to your boss!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Your boss is a sadistic @#$%! Wow. With a first week like that, you should be golden from here on. Stay strong!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your kind words! :blushing:
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    High 5 for staying strong the first week. I know how hard it is to pass up the goodies, and say I will start for sure tomorrow. Then tomorrow never really comes.
    That was pretty mean of your boss to do that (asking you to get the candy). I agree with getting a bowl of fruit.. then you would have something good to munch on!1
    Stay strong!!
  • aneciarobinson
    aneciarobinson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!! Excellent choices this week! You are on the road to success and you should be feeling very proud of yourself!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Buy some unsweetened baker's chocolate. Put that on your desk. Encourage everyone to have a piece. They will soon stop coming to your desk for candy!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    Buy some unsweetened baker's chocolate. Put that on your desk. Encourage everyone to have a piece. They will soon stop coming to your desk for candy!

Mean but I like it! :wink:
  • WakkoW
    Options
    I'm an admin assistant too and I put candy out this week. The funny part is that I'm doing a clean eating challenge and everyone scowls at me when they take the candy because they know I'm not eating it.

It cracks me up. I'm not forcing it on anyone.
  • kealey1318
    Options
    I'm an admin assistant too and I put candy out this week. The funny part is that I'm doing a clean eating challenge and everyone scowls at me when they take the candy because they know I'm not eating it.

That's awesome! When I first started with this company I kept candy on my desk because it was a good way to get people to stop by so I could get to know them. I could probably put hard candies up without fear of eating them. My biggest issue is chocolate in all its various and infinite combinations.... *sigh*
  • WakkoW
    Options

That's awesome! When I first started with this company I kept candy on my desk because it was a good way to get people to stop by so I could get to know them. I could probably put hard candies up without fear of eating them. My biggest issue is chocolate in all its various and infinite combinations.... *sigh*

I've read somewhere that it takes a good three months consistently doing something to change your habits. If that means no chocolate for that long, so be it. It doesn't mean you can never eat chocolate again. It just means you want to change your habits and feel in control of how much you eat and when you eat. And three months go by in a flash. Good luck! Holidays are difficult, but if you can keep with it, you'll be so much happier in the long run.

And don't beat yourself up if you slip. Just keep going as if the slip never happened.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!