strength training?

Options
Hi,
I am 22 years old girl. I am 129 pounds rite now and trying to loss 15- 20 pounds. My height is 5 feet 1 inch. I recently starting gym and quite motivated to lose weight. I usually do eclectical for 30 mins and 15- 20 mins of stairmaster. And i am not so sure if i should do strength training and if so what kind because i dont want to have muscles, i only want to lose weight. I have started to watch for what i eat and trying to eat healthy. I only want to lose weight and not gain muscle. Please advise and help

Replies

• silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, and I'm no expert, unless you're doing extreme heavy weight lifting, you're not going to bulk up and put on a lot of muscle -- we just don't have the testosterone like men do. But, if you're looking to lose weight then adding in weight lifting sets can be beneficial by building lean muscle mass, which helps you burn calories, even hours after you've stopped working out. Just my two cents.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    you already have muscles :smile:
    building muscle tissue is healthy for you, and if you build it now, it is especially great at your young age.
    muscle burns fat. and you won't get bulky.
    i LOVE lifting weights! my arms look amazing, and VERY womanly :smile:
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, and I'm no expert, unless you're doing steroids, you're not going to bulk up and put on a lot of muscle -- we just don't have the testosterone like men do. But, if you're looking to lose weight then adding in weight lifting sets can be beneficial by building lean muscle mass, which helps you burn calories, even hours after you've stopped working out. Just my two cents.
    fixed it for ya!
  • skochhar123
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying. But i really need help with what kinda strength training i should do at the gym? How many minutes or set of reps and what are the best one for losing weight and decreasing some arm and belly fat.
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    LOL, I thought about adding the steroids part in there right after I posted it :tongue:
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    It might be in your best interest to invest in a personal trainer at your gym, even if it's just for a few sessions. They can build a plan for you (what exercises and how many reps/sets), get you comfortable using the weight machines or free weights, and teach you proper form. It's what worked for me when I first started doing strength training.
  • smaclean8
    smaclean8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want muscles?
    They give your body shape. A round butt is round because of muscle. Wider shoulders make your waist look smaller. Muscular calves look hot when you walk in heels.

Additionally, more muscle means your body burns more calories even at rest, so you can eat more without gaining weight. It also protects your bones and increasing your strength protects your joints, ligaments, and is associated with a lower risk of many common diseases, especially osteoporeosis.

Plus, it is incredibly hard to actually "look" muscular as a woman. You have to work very hard, have your hormones in balance, and eat to build muscle. You won't wake up looking like a bodybuilder if you put a barbell on your back. I've busted my hump lifting very hard and heavy for 2 years just to add about 15 lbs of muscle.

Buy a book like New Rules of Lifting for Women or go to bodybuilding.com and find a program.

And maybe my opinion, but you should consider looking at different women's bodies before deciding that you want to be flabby or waif-like with no muscle. You don't have to be huge or jacked, but lifting will def make you look better and it will likely involve adding some muscle.

If you want to look like a runway skeleton, though, just stick to cardio, but use the treadmill instead of the elliptical. Running is way more efficient and way better for your heart.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    go back to the other thread you started on the same topic. i posted some exercises with a basic idea of how many sets/reps you should be aiming for.
    just be aware that you are not able to spot reduce. you CANNOT do 100 crunches and wake up with a flat belly. you lose fat from wherever your body decides.
  • smaclean8
    smaclean8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's just a matter of losing overall bodyfat, nothing is going to magically melt it off your arms and stomach. So do that through dieting with an appropriate calorie deficit.

A good place to start is 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Just stick to basic moves: squat, deadlift, bench, curl, overhead press, pull ups. You can look up illustrated guides to all these exercises and more on www.exrx.net.

Plan your workout in a journal before going and pick four exercises that you'll do each day to start. That way you go in with a plan, you know what you're looking for and you don't feel embarassed trying to figure it out when you get there. You'll fit in because you'll head straight to the right equipment, hit your sets/reps, and stroll out.

Good luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I run and do the elliptical and bike and I walk, but I also love the strength training in my exercise program. I've been doing it for years, but I'm not bulked at all. I think it helps tone my body, though.
  • skochhar123
    Options
    Thanks for the info there, But the gym i am at i am not allowed to use weights because they ask us to pay 250$ to have workout plan n eating plan. I really cant afford to pay that much. I m allowing to use strength training machines like LEG PRESS - COMPOUND EXERCIS, LEG EXTENSION MACHINE - ISOLATION EXERCISE, SHOULDER PRESS MACHINE - COMPOUND EXERCISE. I m not sure if i am at the right place???
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    you can't use the weights at your gym without signing up for a training/diet plan?

time to find a new gym.
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    ^^^^ Couldn't agree more. Definitely time to find a gym that works for you, that's absurd to say you can't use free weights unless you pay extra.
  • skochhar123
    Options
    yeah its ridiculus and sad part is that i wasnt told his when i signed up for it. anyways i m stuck for another month at this gym before i can cancel, so any luck with strength training machines for me like the ones mentioned above?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    While you search for a new gym, check out these two books: Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe; and The New Rules of Lifting For Women.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying. But i really need help with what kinda strength training i should do at the gym? How many minutes or set of reps and what are the best one for losing weight and decreasing some arm and belly fat.

Strength training will not help you lose weight or decrease fat per se other than creating more of a deficit due to moving more. It will however help you retain LBM while you lose weight - i.e. help ensure that what you lose is fat rather than fat and muscle.
  • skochhar123
    Options
    Okay so what i have understood from all the post that both cardio and strength training is much. Strength is training for not losing muscle but fat. So what machines do u recommend? Any plan or routine?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay so what i have understood from all the post that both cardio and strength training is much. Strength is training for not losing muscle but fat. So what machines do u recommend? Any plan or routine?

Unless we know the specific machines it is hard to recommend a routine. Also, it seems as though you will not be at the gym for long.

You may want to look into "You Are Your Own Gym" which is a body weight strength training routine that does not require any specific equipment.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to a personal trainer at the gym. Have them show you and set up a program for you ... to suit your specific needs. You dont have to keep using a personal trainer, but a time or two will be beneficial for you.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want muscles?
    They give your body shape. A round butt is round because of muscle. Wider shoulders make your waist look smaller. Muscular calves look hot when you walk in heels.

Additionally, more muscle means your body burns more calories even at rest, so you can eat more without gaining weight. It also protects your bones and increasing your strength protects your joints, ligaments, and is associated with a lower risk of many common diseases, especially osteoporeosis.

Plus, it is incredibly hard to actually "look" muscular as a woman. You have to work very hard, have your hormones in balance, and eat to build muscle. You won't wake up looking like a bodybuilder if you put a barbell on your back. I've busted my hump lifting very hard and heavy for 2 years just to add about 15 lbs of muscle.

Buy a book like New Rules of Lifting for Women or go to bodybuilding.com and find a program.

And maybe my opinion, but you should consider looking at different women's bodies before deciding that you want to be flabby or waif-like with no muscle. You don't have to be huge or jacked, but lifting will def make you look better and it will likely involve adding some muscle.

If you want to look like a runway skeleton, though, just stick to cardio, but use the treadmill instead of the elliptical. Running is way more efficient and way better for your heart.

Yes!!! NROLFW here!!! ;) I LOVE this book!!! Just got done doing my routine, actually. :happy: I've been lifting for about 2 years, and about 4-5 weeks into the book. Didn't see a whole lot of results with the little bit of lifting I was doing the last 2 years, but since I started this book, I've gotten compliments about how much flatter my stomach is looking. I know that muscle doesn't target belly fat, but everything is just looking much tighter lately. My shoulders and arms are looking so sexy! They still look a little too big, but they're smaller than they were. Just have to get rid of the excess fat still, not to mention the loose skin, since I've lost so much weight.