Is eating a HEAVY Breakfast the way to go?

Options
EniBee
EniBee Posts: 274 Member
Yesterday I had 3 slices of 50/50 bread, 2 sausages and 2 slices of bacon with a cup of cappuccino for breakfast. Total calorie count: 753. I skipped lunch because I was not hungry, although I had 2 cups of tea and plenty of water throughout the day. At about 5PM the hunger started to set in. So, I had slices of dried mango, another 330 calories. When I got home, I did my Insanity workout, had more water, then went to bed.

Woke up this morning feeling hungry, so I had a white egg omelette with cherry tomatoes, onions and spinach and a cup of tea (294 calories), which was not filling!!!! Feeling hungry now!!

I notice that when I have a heavy breakfast (I have even tried rice in the morning - about 10AM), I am good until evening. When I don't feel full in the mornings, I tend to binge throughout the day, eating all sorts of "bad" calorific foods - and once I start,I cannot stop! Is it only me?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Nope, there are a lot of people who feel like that -- hence the standard advice to eat breakfast.

If a heavy breakfast makes it easier for you to control your eating during the day, why not? I usually have meat and vegetables for breakfast and then don't eat until the late afternoon/evening.
  • aimiekundert
    Options
    Everybody is different - I have a cup of lot fat greek yougurt with strawberries and goleancrunch at break fast and that seems to work for me but I also have lunch and snacks. I find that having a smaller bfast but a large lunch works for me- gives me lotsa energy for P90x after work
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For the majority of people it is more beneficial to eat:
    Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, diner and perhaps another evening snack.
    This way the hungry feeling you get is suppressed.
    Drinking water will also suppress the feeling of being hungry
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on how long I will be away from my kitchen. On days where I can't eat for another six hours or so I tend to eat a breakfast somewhere between 400 and 800 of my ~1600 calories. On days where I can get to food in a few hours, I might eat a 300 calorie breakfast. But honestly, I have trouble making a breakfast that tastes good for less than 300 calories. : ) I think that as long as you eat during the day, eat a variety of foods and feel good, eating a heavy breakfast isn't a problem.
    Personally, my stomach is loud and clear in the morning.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    pre diet I used to eat big but not nutrition conscious breakfast, like toast or sugary cereals, and I would be hungry by 10.
    Early diet I used to try to save my calories, I think I was worried I would use them all up and be hungry at night. But I was often looking at the clock to see when I could eat my next snack.
    But now I have started going to the gym before work, I am eating a light breakfast and a big protein shake and more carbs post workout. I eat 3 meals and 3 snakcks a day, protein every time, and I never get hungry. Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat so I hit my macros.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't do breakfast.....

But typically the increase in carbs for breakfast is what causes the "hungry" feeling.
  • 22sep2013
    22sep2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If i don't eat a good breakfast i suffer from bouts of hunger throughout the day ... breakfast is my main meal and i don't care if it means too many calories ... also i feel breakfast is what regulates my blood sugar ... and makes my weight loss attempts more successful ... i would say listen to your body
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends. A heavy breakfast will fill me up more for sure, but that doesn't mean I won't be craving things later on during the day, but then I won't have the calories to have them. But if you can resist cravings or don't get them, yeah, sure, well, if you're a breakfast person obviously.

I had a cheat day once and went to the Cheesecake Factory and I had their French toast with ham (1500 calories total or something) at 10am, I was full until dinner and was fine with just some grilled chicken and veggies, never even went over goal. I just hate the feeling of having few calories left for the rest of the day.
  • losing4799
    Options
    I don't eat big breakfasts unless I'm stressed and pushing the boat out on calorie limit. :/ Never goes well...
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. The world is a wonderful place that way. :)

Glad you found something that works for you!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It may be the way to go for your but may i ask why is it so important to you to skip lunch and have a light dinner? And your two different breakfasts are *very* different- you could have a 300 cal, filling, healthy breakfast that won't leave you hungry. So there are many options out there , just not clear on why you want to not eat all day.
  • pilot1960
    pilot1960 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Always had a good breakfast all my life. My Father believed in it and as a long distance driver found it invaluable. You good go miles on a good breakfast. Nothing too drastic though. Mine usually consists of Rasher Bacon, Egg, Tomato(s) and sometimes Mushrooms. 1 or 2 slices of toast. One with the breakfast and one with marmite or marmalade. Snack lunch of a small sandwich and drink maybe an apple, and I am ready for an evening meal. Drinks throughout the day and try and stay off of snacking. Don't have a desert after main meal but about 20:30 a couple of pieces of fruit shared with wife. Half Apple + half Pear or half Orange. Keeps me steady and not hungry. Vary the Breakfast sometimes with Soft Boiled Egg and maybe, and only maybe, porridge or some cereal. (Usually Sunday).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Totally comes down to personal preference and nothing more..... I workout in the morning and prefer to eat a big breakfast an hour b4 I hit the gym... So I eat around 1200-1400 calories around 6 a.m. and out the door around 7:00...... Do whatever works best for you to adhere to your caloric intake and hitting your macro's......... Best of Luck.....
  • EniBee
    Options
    Wow! Such wonderful comments!!! Thanks All.

The reason I asked for peoples opinions was to get a feel of how many people this works for. It has taken me a while to realise that this pattern works for me (just this morning). Skipping meals and starving myself certainly does not work because I end up bingeing throughout the day. Also,if I divide my meals into roughly equal calorie counts,this does not work for me either. Nor does eating bread, sugary breakfast pastries.

I agree that the only thing I have to watch out for is not to snack (for the sake of it) during the day, when I am still full.
  • Failing2Thrive
    Options

This is how I eat. No hunger pains.
  • EniBee
    Options
    It may be the way to go for your but may i ask why is it so important to you to skip lunch and have a light dinner? And your two different breakfasts are *very* different- you could have a 300 cal, filling, healthy breakfast that won't leave you hungry. So there are many options out there , just not clear on why you want to not eat all day.

No,not that I am deliberately staving myself or skipping meals during the day. Following a heavy breakfast, if I am not hungry, I don't eat. If I do eat, I am sure that I would just snack on sugary stuff and feel bloated for the rest of the day. I will look out for nourishing 300 cal meals!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do a medium breakfast, but high in protein. I never understand how others are fine with yogurt or cereal, but I accept that it works for them. I pretty much eat the same thing every morning and it works for me two fried eggs over toast, I use a little mayo rather than butter on my toast. Why? Because I like it that way LOL. Slight variation sometimes ... hard boiled, poached, scrambled, and occasionally an omelet. However pretty much the same :) It has worked for me.
  • EniBee
    Options

This is how I eat. No hunger pains.

Maybe I will try this for a week! So, what would you typically eat following this plan? No too heavy meals, right?
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say this but you ate 1083 calories and then did an Insanity workout. Which means you probably had somewhere around a 700 (ish) calorie NET. This is why you woke up hungry and are still hungry after breakfast. It doesn't matter when or how you get your calories during the day, each person is different. For example I eat a lot of smaller meals throughout the day that is what works for me. However, you do have to get your (NET) calories and 700 (or so) doesn't cut it. I am not trying to be mean, so please don't take my directness that way. :)

Edited to add my diary is open if you want ideas on number of calories per meal.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast AND lunch works for me well during the weekdays. Big dinner to look forward to? Oh yeh :)

Weekends I tend to be more balanced, being closer to my fridge and all ...

As usual, whatever works for the individual is the way to go. ;)