Which weight lifting shoe?

Options
13»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just stick with the running shoes, i've gotten used to working out in that type of shoe. And i squat heavy with no problem. My form is pretty legit. I don't let my heels come off the floor.
    I'd say it'd be worth trying a flat shoe, but I too, used to use an ordinary running shoe. I'm a lot more stable, even though I didn't really think I was unstable before, and I can push slightly more power through the floor in flatter shoes - evident when I deadlift now, as my legs pick up a lot more of the slack than previously.

Worth giving it a go anyway, I think.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    However, if overall fitness (including plyometrics, isolation movements) are involved, then go with at shoe that has a very low toe to heel lift.
    Personally I look to maintain/build muscle so max lifts aren't my focus. That's I use straps for rows and pullups, so I can do more reps with as much weight as I can handle with my back before my grip gives out.

aw, man... straps??? You're going to MFP-forum hell for that!!!

Well at least there are now 3 of us there, maybe we can have a party!

Probably not though, because I'm going to a special part of MFP-forum hell, because I use Adipowers, straps, wrist wraps, a belt, and sometimes knee sleeves. It's because I'm so weak, my body would fall apart, and my max squat would be the empty bar for a single without all these accoutrements!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    A hard heel that's raised and stable? You be wanting £8 trainers then.

http://www.clothingattesco.com/all-shoes/f+f-sports-trainer/invt/ek239072/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgshoes,mens-footwear

I use these - they're awful for running or any sport but have a stable and rigid sole (because it's almost plastic not rubber). :D
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I wear my Vibram Five Fingers because my gym wont allow me to lift with bare feet.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    However, if overall fitness (including plyometrics, isolation movements) are involved, then go with at shoe that has a very low toe to heel lift.
    Personally I look to maintain/build muscle so max lifts aren't my focus. That's I use straps for rows and pullups, so I can do more reps with as much weight as I can handle with my back before my grip gives out.

Probably not though, because I'm going to a special part of MFP-forum hell, because I use Adipowers, straps, wrist wraps, a belt, and sometimes knee sleeves. It's because I'm so weak, my body would fall apart, and my max squat would be the empty bar for a single without all these accoutrements!
    True story. He really has no idea what he's doing without all of his crutches.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options

Belt and straps are part of my arsenal. I only use them on the heaviest lifts though. That's usually gonna be my last 2 sets on compound pulling movements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like they're necessary as long as your shoe doesn't have an arch. Boxing shoes or vibrams are what I wear on leg day that aren't just soley (bro, I know how to pun) for lifting.
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like inov-8s. I wear inov-8 F-Lite 195s when I lift. My feet never hurt, and I feel more sturdy. They were $90.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Converse my friend, get some!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everything above. If you are buying a shoe for lifting, you don't want cushion. Go barefoot, or look at 5-finger shoes, chuck taylors, or an actual weight lifting shoe. Do not look at running shoes, cross trainers, etc.

I love my 5-finger shoes! My husband and I both use them for lifting. They help with balance.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I use ballet flats they are as close to bare feet as you can get.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I lift in my chuck taylors.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Belt and straps are part of my arsenal. I only use them on the heaviest lifts though. That's usually gonna be my last 2 sets on compound pulling movements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well if we're getting into specifics:

Shoes - always on when I'm using a platform.

Straps - mainly for heavy pulls, sometimes for RDLs and assistance stuff - why tire my grip out from pulls or assistance work and be unable to do full cleans or snatches, plus when I do pulls with more than 100% clean or snatch 1RM.

Belt - Only really for heavy squats, typically singles.

Wrist wraps - just for snatches.

Knee sleeves - When it's cold.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Tagging for reference
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Question: what do you use if you're totally flat-footed? I understand why you want to feel the floor, but I'm so flat-footed that my feet roll inward when I stand without shoes on. I've been using my Brooks running shoes to lift because they support the inside of my foot. When I walk around barefoot too long, the inside of my feet and calves become sore.

Try dance specialty shops. For belly dancing you can get an 'arch support sleeve' (not sure of the official name) which is basically a fabric arch support attached to your foot with two straps of elastic. Apart from the straps around the middle of your foot to hold it on the only contact with your feet is in the arch, leaving your heel, toes and balls of your feet free.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I squat in an oly shoe, but I also was doing quite a bit of oly lifting over the past year so it was worth the investment. That being said, I set my last squat PR in a 4-6mm heel to toe drop shoe. I do prefer the increase range of motion and stability of an elevated solid heel for squatting especially when working on movements to help develop oly lifts.

The only thing I really have to say is get a solid flat bottomed shoe, nothing worse than wobbling around on a cushy running shoe while squatting or deadlifting. They honestly aren't really that great for running form either but that's a whole other discussion.