Gastric Sleeve in 35 days!

Options
Im looking for new friends to add who has had the Gastric Sleeve... :My surgery date is in 34 days, 11/25. I have done sooo much research online and I do think I am prepeared. I just would love to get some feedback from the "experienced" who have already been through it! :-) I had the lapband 3 years ago and it was horrible, I had sooo many problems with it... from food always getting "stuck", vomitting on a daily basis, etc... Yes, it prohibited me from eating a lot, but I still lost NO weight. I just hope this tool works for me, and from what I have read online from so many, I think it will! Any stories of how to make it the first few weeks after surgery will be appreciated! :)

Replies

• Fashionista012
    Fashionista012 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I had the sleeve 7/24/13 and had no complications! lost a little over 67lbs so far. Loving life, why didnt we do this sooner. I never had lap band before, BUT on this, u will lose weight. I am not saying to follow what I did by any means, but I havent stuck to the rules like crazy. I Just did what felt right and I lose. you can check out my diary anytime you want. First few weeks after surgery, I was very hungry, but as soon as I ate I could only eat very very little and I became full. Don't buy too much protein junk, I wasted a ton of money. I only ended up using protien shake, Fage yogurt (lots of protein) and sugar free popsicles. You wont need more than that! Now I mostly eat shrimp (so good for you and all protein) lots of fish and yogurt. But I have had a little chinese lo mein and some cheat stuff, but very rarely and you get full so fast that you really can't overeat and go high on calories. My brther did it also and he is not sticking to any calories or what to eat and he is too skinny now. lol AND He never was!! His whole body changed and he looks like a skinny man, not just someone who lost weight and is still overweight, but just less. I Originally set my goal at 160, but afer seeing what this tool can do, I set it for 125. I know everyone is different, but YOU WILL LOVE IT! Good luck!!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You only need to lose less than 50 pounds and you're getting a WLS? I'm sorry... I don't get it.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You only need to lose less than 50 pounds and you're getting a WLS? I'm sorry... I don't get it.

^^^This^^^
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    Please don't do that to yourself...
    There are better alternatives...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-IIb4nqWU

Change what you eat, change your life!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. Ignore the naysayers here!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the 35 days you're on MFP, you'll realize that it can be done without surgery. This can be quite an inspiring place...as long as you avoid the creeps. ;)

Good luck, either way.
  • mikej1978
    Options
    Losing weight is a lifestyle change. It is really hard at first but, it pays off in the long run. These "weight loss" surgeries are the biggest money makers for surgeons now-a-days and is just an easy way out.

My cousin had a sleeve a year ago and I decided to go head to head with him with weight lose without surgery but, just not eating crap and working out. After 4 months he lost 56 pounds I lost 49!
  • mikej1978
    Options
    Maybe in the 35 days you're on MFP, you'll realize that it can be done without surgery. This can be quite an inspiring place...as long as you avoid the creeps. ;)

Good luck, either way.

Amazing job losing 72 pounds!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

If eating in a calorie deficit, exercising, and losing weight makes me a naysayer than sign me up.... If OP had 100+ lbs. to lose I could see considering surgery but if she truly only has 50 lbs. to lose maybe listening or seeing someone like myself who has lost 312 lbs. without any surgery might be a good thing to see..... Either way Best of Luck OP on whatever you decide......
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about them but I'm 50lb down in, to be exact, 185 days.

Keep all your options open.
  • mikej1978
    Options

If eating in a calorie deficit, exercising, and losing weight makes me a naysayer than sign me up.... If OP had 100+ lbs. to lose I could see considering surgery but if she truly only has 50 lbs. to lose maybe listening or seeing someone like myself who has lost 312 lbs. without any surgery might be a good thing to see..... Either way Best of Luck OP on whatever you decide......

Amazing Job!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I really hope you don't :(
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I say, do whatever works for you. Good luck!

Also, I have a question about lap bands and sleeves. After you lose the weight, do you have it removed? Thanks!
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you.
  • mrsamanda86
    Options
    Losing weight is a lifestyle change. It is really hard at first but, it pays off in the long run. These "weight loss" surgeries are the biggest money makers for surgeons now-a-days and is just an easy way out.

My cousin had a sleeve a year ago and I decided to go head to head with him with weight lose without surgery but, just not eating crap and working out. After 4 months he lost 56 pounds I lost 49!

That's pretty awesome you managed to lose so close to him and didn't have to go under a knife! I tried diet pills a few times(not brilliant but whatever) but the thought of getting surgery for something that isn't going to immediately kill me is just terrifying to me.
  • mrsamanda86
    Options

Also, I have a question about lap bands and sleeves. After you lose the weight, do you have it removed? Thanks!

I don't know about the sleeves but my Mom has the lap band, and you CAN have it removed, but ideally you're supposed to keep it in forever and have it adjusted as needed. She lost about 60 pounds and was doing really well, and then just stopped, gained everything back, and still doesn't eat great or exercise.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Ignore the naysayers who have lost or are losing more than OP says she has to lose WITHOUT surgery and who don't care to see her do something unnecessary when there are cheaper, healthier, and less invasive options?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

The band is a removable device, meaning it can be removed if need be. With the gastric sleeve surgery, they actually reduce your stomach to a small portion of its original size, and it isn't reversible.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would take the next 35 days and really do some serious research before I fully committed myself to that decision. As you can see, there are many people here, who have been successful without surgery, who had far more to lose than you. I was 300lbs when I first started last July. That's a BMI of severely obese. With 15 months of keeping a moderate calorie deficit and exercising, all while incorporating all the foods I love, I am now at 177, healthy BMI. It is possible, and either way, it has to be a lifestyle change to be successful.
  • mikej1978
    Options
    To the OP, I apologize that it seems we are all against you. It is great you want to lose weight. We are all here for that same reason. I just know alot of people on here have busted their *kitten* eating healthy and working out that think you can do it too.

Best of luck to you for whatever you decide.

Mike