Females Only : dont feel hungry during periods

Options
Hi there.....i am on my periods and the problem is during first 3days of my periods when i face heavy bleeding, i dnt feel like eating anything...i hardly eat anything. Does it happen to you gals?? If yes, how do you cope up with it? If no, what should i do so that i could eat like in normal routine?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd say just don't eat much. Sounds like a good plan to me.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Your lucky! I eat like a starved animal and get pretty mean when i'm denied food around this time
    Same here. Guess it affects women differently, huh. Wish I was like the OP. lol.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    haha I /wish/ my period affected me like that. I try to eat enough food that would sustain a small country during my first three days... then b!tch at my bf to get me some fries to go with xD I'd say eat what you can, don't force anything and if you can get in even just a light workout go for it. If not take the time to rest.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    wish that were me! I get hungry!!
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Normally, I eat like crazy the whole time. :/ Sorry I couldn't help.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I get this way too! I read stories of girl who get so hungry around PMS time and I don't get it!! I don't think I am extra hungry, in fact I don't like eating alot around that time. I get nauseous if I eat too much or bounce around too much so I simply do not exercise and just eat what feels right.
    There are times where I feel hungry, like...the body telling me I am hungry but I even have no desire to eat-if that makes sense? I just try to keep it light so it doesn't make me feel sick.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to teach myself to actually push myself harder when I'm on mine (with exercise), to help combat the extra food intake that I KNOW is destined to happen with me. Will post results in a few months.
  • bridgegetsfit
    bridgegetsfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I dont get hungry either and if I do force myself to eat I get sick. I try to take midol and drink a glass of ginger ale and then I drink/eat light things like soup and porridge and lots and lots of tea.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Get checked for anemia and other blood work.

Being female, raised with females, most of my friends are females, and I can tell you right now, that's not normal.

If you're bleeding heavy AND not hungry, something is possibly wrong. You need to see a doctor.

Your body should be giving you signals to replenish itself.

OP, I just creeped your diary, you get a special message:

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

You're eating 1000 calories or less every day you bother to log on a 1200 calorie a day diet. pfft!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Hi there.....i am on my periods and the problem is during first 3days of my periods when i face heavy bleeding, i dnt feel like eating anything...i hardly eat anything. Does it happen to you gals?? If yes, how do you cope up with it? If no, what should i do so that i could eat like in normal routine?

When I was younger ~ yes. It was the blood issue with me. Made me lose my appetite. Now? Not so much. When I do get grossed out feeling like a walking Butchery ~ I turn into a RawVegan for the duration. I have learnt to trick the blood profile, where it is less blood scented and more floral. The scent profile is way more bearable for me now.

Sometimes, what you're using to stem the flow can be an appetite suppressant ~ you kinda have to watch that.

ETA: Many're times you have to keep tabs on your vag pH and monitor bacteria levels. I just hate the smell of blood and that metalic smell that blood gives off.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I experience nausea and don't want to eat, food doesn't taste good. I just eat whatever I can get down that fills me up. Nothing wrong with that.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Your lucky! I eat like a starved animal and get pretty mean when i'm denied food around this time

This for me. It's much harder to control my cravings too.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Being female, raised with females, most of my friends are females, and I can tell you right now, that's not normal.

If you're bleeding heavy AND not hungry, something is possibly wrong. You need to see a doctor.

That is not a serious sign all on it's own, if it has always been normal for a person. Different people respond differently to hormones. Things that cause me nausea or to throw up (and my doctor has confirmed is completely normal) are: Pregnancy, Birth control, Periods. And I'm not the only one. Menstruation has hormonal changes, cramps and other pain/discomfort, and swelling in the intestinal tract. Those things can lead to a loss of appetite. For me, I need to be sure I am eating and do not have an empty stomach. An empty stomach makes the discomfort worse. But, I do not enjoy eating and food does not taste as good. So, I eat stuff that's easy to go down such as smoothies, two egg mcmuffins, or a big plate of scrambled eggs, bagels, muffins. Once I eat food and take ibuprofen and wait till it kicks in, then I feel a lot better. And it only lasts for the first day or two.
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Me too! I don't feel hungry at all for most of day. I feel very full in those first 2 days.

Perhaps try eating light meals like soup? crackers?

Make sure you keep your metabolism chugging away and don't let it go into starvation mode.

Perhaps just eat the minimum of 1200 calories.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options

That is not a serious sign all on it's own, if it has always been normal for a person. Different people respond differently to hormones. Things that cause me nausea or to throw up (and my doctor has confirmed is completely normal) are: Pregnancy, Birth control, Periods. And I'm not the only one. Menstruation has hormonal changes, cramps and other pain/discomfort, and swelling in the intestinal tract. Those things can lead to a loss of appetite. For me, I need to be sure I am eating and do not have an empty stomach. An empty stomach makes the discomfort worse. But, I do not enjoy eating and food does not taste as good. So, I eat stuff that's easy to go down such as smoothies, two egg mcmuffins, or a big plate of scrambled eggs, bagels, muffins. Once I eat food and take ibuprofen and wait till it kicks in, then I feel a lot better. And it only lasts for the first day or two.

Well, I'm not a doctor. I only play one on the Internet.

I still don't think it's ok though. The OP barely eats 1k a day when it's not TOM, and then she doesn't want to eat at all when it is TOM with a heavy flow? Not ok.

*shrugs* But whatever :indifferent:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Well, I'm not a doctor. I only play one on the Internet.

I still don't think it's ok though. The OP barely eats 1k a day when it's not TOM, and then she doesn't want to eat at all when it is TOM with a heavy flow? Not ok.

*shrugs* But whatever :indifferent:

I agree that eating only 1000 calories is bad!

I was only saying that having a different reaction to hormones is common and not bad in itself.

But, I would never say it's ok to only eat 1000 calories a day (or anything really close to that).
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh me too. I initially am not a food person or never was found of food. So not eating was not a big deal. Now that I'm trying to be more healthy, especially yesterday when I decided to bump up my calorie intake, I realize I'm not hungry.

I'm having my period and food is the worst thing that can possibly happen. I feel nausea around food and not hungry at all. Any one talks about sweet things, I will vomit right there and then. This is pretty bad if I think about it. I'm losing blood (means iron) and not eating. I do have anemia and been suffering from it since childhood.

Could it be that?
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. TMI - I'm on the Ring (love the convenience!). For example, I took my ring out last night. Yesterday I ate about 2,000 calories, and today I ate barely over 1,300. I'm just not as hungry when I'm about to start or starting my period.