?? About Cal Counting for Someone Who Really Knows

Options
Let's say you figure your BMR and Caloric Need at 1800 calories at your current weight. Then let's say that you know you have been eating upward of 2200 calories (probably closer to 2600-2800) for 6-10 months and maintaining the same weight (not gaining). If you stick to an 1800 calorie diet, does that deficiency (from 2200-1800) count as part of your caloric deficiency toward weight loss, since that is what your body has been used to, or do you only count what is negative from the 1800? Does my question make sense? Thanks for any help.

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Let's say you figure your BMR and Caloric Need at 1800 calories at your current weight. Then let's say that you know you have been eating upward of 2200 calories (probably closer to 2600-2800) for 6-10 months and maintaining the same weight (not gaining). If you stick to an 1800 calorie diet, does that deficiency (from 2200-1800) count as part of your caloric deficiency toward weight loss, since that is what your body has been used to, or do you only count what is negative from the 1800? Does my question make sense? Thanks for any help.

I am not a nutritionist; I just work with a few of them, but if you have maintained at 2200 calories for several months, then that's probably your actual caloric need. I don't know how you determined your need, but the nutritionists I work with work at a comprehensive weight loss clinic and they do extensive testing of fitness level and body fat % before they advise a person on their caloric need. It's a very personalized process.

Any actual RD's out there to answer this? I am interested to know the answer as well.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    This is all a trial and error method. Not everybody has same caloric needs. So start taking a deficit from what you have been eating now(about 300-500 per day) and you will find out.

Good luck :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy way to know how much you should be eating. If you are eating 1800 calories every day and logging 100% accurate and not losing weight or inches you need to eat less.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It doesn't take a Nutritionist (which is a fake title anyway--you mean a Registered Dietician) to tell you that if you maintain at 2200, your caloric need is 2200, and any subtraction from that number would (theoretically) be a deficit.

However, there are numerous confounding factors. That may still not be your metabolic "max". That just means your body has adapted to running (in its current state) at that level of intake. That is why a deduction from that number is a "theoretical" deficit--you may already be in a "down-shifted" state of metabolic operation.
  • OoBethanyoO
    OoBethanyoO Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I have not been trying to loose weight over those same months, and I do know that my body is somewhat "used" to eating more than it needs. I weight more than I should, I guess I am just lucky for now that I am not gaining at this point. I've been trying to figure out what I should actually have as a realistic goal to eat well and lose weight - at least a good starting point. MFP tells me that someone my age, weight and activity level who wants to lose weight should make a goal for 1200-1400 calories a day depending on how fast to loose. That's crazy talk =). I'm a mom of 4 little kids and I need to eat more than that! I am going to shoot for the 1800, and just trust/hope that I'll start to lose by eating what I should be, instead of all the extra. Hopefully my metabolism will rectify and I'll slim down. But any other input or suggestions are appreciated!
  • OoBethanyoO
    OoBethanyoO Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That may still not be your metabolic "max". That just means your body has adapted to running (in its current state) at that level of intake. That is why a deduction from that number is a "theoretical" deficit--you may already be in a "down-shifted" state of metabolic operation.

I have often wondered if there are ways to figure this kind of thing out without joining a MRC or something. Is it all just trial and error, or is there a way to get a better way? I imagine there is something helpful to read somewhere?
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy way to know how much you should be eating. If you are eating 1800 calories every day and logging 100% accurate and not losing weight or inches you need to eat less.
    you didn't read the whole post.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    you didn't read the whole post.

Yes, I did.