muscle building and genetics, special snow flake?

Options
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_truth_about_bodybuilding_genetics
Just wanted to share this article, sorry I don't know how to post the clickable link.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    "Don't Panic, Chicken Legs. You're Not Doomed!"
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Ya, I have chicken legs so there is hope for me yet;) Well when I was skinny I had chicken legs, lol. Trying to get skinny again but with thicker thighs and actually having a butt this time.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a stronger response to this OP given the standard mfp: "you're not a special snowflake" answer to a lot of posts!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    the link doesn't go to an article - just a contents index.
  • jimmmer
    Options
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am just as surprised;) Thanx for posting the link.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Half way through, haven't found anything controversial yet. Every sport favours a certain combination of characteristics - I wouldn't expect Arnold to be able to dribble a ball anymore than I'd expect Lionel Messi to bench 400 pounds, no matter how hard they worked at it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok...there's the controversial part...

The suggestion that working hard at lifting may produce no tangible results and can even lead to loss of lean mass is not going to sit well with a very common MFP meme! :laugh:
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    "Recent research shows that some individuals respond very well to strength training, some barely respond, and some don't respond at all. You read that correctly. Some people don't show any noticeable results. Researchers created the term "non-responders" for these individuals."

Ok...that last part is rather terrifying.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

The suggestion that working hard at lifting may produce no tangible results and can even lead to loss of lean mass is not going to sit well with a very common MFP meme! :laugh:

as far as I can tell the study didnt regulate diet... if I eat like crap and do too much volume of lifting i'll lose muscle mass... pretty much anyone and everyone will.... even with a proper diet, too much volume combined with too little recovery will result in a net loss..
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    "Recent research shows that some individuals respond very well to strength training, some barely respond, and some don't respond at all. You read that correctly. Some people don't show any noticeable results. Researchers created the term "non-responders" for these individuals."

Ok...that last part is rather terrifying.

I don't believe it.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Almost any scientific study I've ever seen has people who lay off the curve to some degree. The results draw a nice line through the data and present it along with significant margins of error.

What about the proportion of people that lay off curves (in either direction) when it comes to fat loss, improvements in VO2Max, strength increases or muscle increases?

The truth is, exercise science is barely a science. The variables are innumerable, the research is often third-rate. Any experienced trainee will know to ignore all that bullsh!t and tweak their training programme and diet to fit them, rather than some imaginary average person. For beginners, it doesn't matter because they will derive benefit following a cookie-cutter programme versus either doing nothing of doing some form of f*ckarounditis.

Physics is a science. Chemistry is a science. Taking 12 sedentary people and exposing them to an exercise programme to see how they respond is not a science. Nor is trying to derive lessons for the general population from studies done on professional athletes, who are by definition outliers.

There are such things as special snowflakes. Most people are so far from any genetic potential that they'll never know it though. That's why cookie cutter stuff works for beginners and it's always best practice to advise a beginner to do something like C25K if they want to start running or Starting Strength if they want to start lifting.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Sucks to be a "non-responder". I must be one of the medium responders. I have built some noticeable definition and some significant strength gains, but nothing spectacular after a couple of years. I'm mostly just maintaining at this point. I always figured it was because I didn't want it (the total hard-body) bad enough to push myself further. Maybe it's in my genes to stay kinda scrawny. I'm pretty satisfied with the genes I got, though. No complaints here! :drinker:

(edit for typo)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

as far as I can tell the study didnt regulate diet... if I eat like crap and do too much volume of lifting i'll lose muscle mass... pretty much anyone and everyone will.... even with a proper diet, too much volume combined with too little recovery will result in a net loss..

first hit on google scholar for 'hubal hypertrophy' gives you a pdf of this 2005 study. it is well designed, and there were sensible dietary controls in the sample, designed to control for factors relevant to the study's aims.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

first hit on google scholar for 'hubal hypertrophy' gives you a pdf of this 2005 study. it is well designed, and there were sensible dietary controls in the sample, designed to control for factors relevant to the study's aims.

There was no dietary control.

"Subjects were instructed to maintain their habitual dietary
    intake and physical activity levels (with the exception of the
    addition of the unilateral arm training) over the course of the
    study so that significant weight loss or gain was avoided.
    Individuals who had supplemented their diet with additional
    protein or taken any dietary supplement reported to build
    muscle or to cause weight gain (dietary supplements containing
    protein, creatine, or androgenic precursors) were not included.
    Data for subjects who lost a significant amount of body weight
    were excluded from analysis.
    As slight weight gain would be
    expected with the addition of muscle volume, those that in-
    creased body weight were included in the analysis."

They just told them to eat normally. Thats not control. The fact that they had to exclude people from the results is an even bigger indicator that they had no control of their diet.

I agree with jimmmmer's comment "The truth is, exercise science is barely a science. The variables are innumerable, the research is often third-rate."
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the Petrella study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18436694
  • meerkat70
    Options

There was no dietary control.

"Subjects were instructed to maintain their habitual dietary
    intake and physical activity levels (with the exception of the
    addition of the unilateral arm training) over the course of the
    study so that significant weight loss or gain was avoided.
    Individuals who had supplemented their diet with additional
    protein or taken any dietary supplement reported to build
    muscle or to cause weight gain (dietary supplements containing
    protein, creatine, or androgenic precursors) were not included.
    Data for subjects who lost a significant amount of body weight
    were excluded from analysis.
    As slight weight gain would be
    expected with the addition of muscle volume, those that in-
    creased body weight were included in the analysis."

They just told them to eat normally. Thats not control. The fact that they had to exclude people from the results is an even bigger indicator that they had no control of their diet.

I agree with jimmmmer's comment "The truth is, exercise science is barely a science. The variables are innumerable, the research is often third-rate."

The aim of the study was to explore the impact of lifting across a broad subject base. They allowed for variability in dietary practice in the sampling strategy. They controlled for problems like the impact of calorie restriction on the ability to gain mass.

The controls implemented were appropriate to the study. There's no real evidence out there that eating a big mac each day impacts negatively on the ability to gain muscle. In contrast, there's ample evidence that dietary restriction does.

Quite what controls do you imagine were needed? i.e. things that might actually obscure the impact of the IV on the DV?

I generally agree with jimmmmmer's comments too. unfortunately, in relation to this particular study, they are ill founded. This study is reasonably well designed, has a decent sample size, and seems entirely replicable.
  • meerkat70
    Options
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Almost any scientific study I've ever seen has people who lay off the curve to some degree. The results draw a nice line through the data and present it along with significant margins of error.

What about the proportion of people that lay off curves (in either direction) when it comes to fat loss, improvements in VO2Max, strength increases or muscle increases?

The truth is, exercise science is barely a science. The variables are innumerable, the research is often third-rate. Any experienced trainee will know to ignore all that bullsh!t and tweak their training programme and diet to fit them, rather than some imaginary average person. For beginners, it doesn't matter because they will derive benefit following a cookie-cutter programme versus either doing nothing of doing some form of f*ckarounditis.

Physics is a science. Chemistry is a science. Taking 12 sedentary people and exposing them to an exercise programme to see how they respond is not a science. Nor is trying to derive lessons for the general population from studies done on professional athletes, who are by definition outliers.

There are such things as special snowflakes. Most people are so far from any genetic potential that they'll never know it though. That's why cookie cutter stuff works for beginners and it's always best practice to advise a beginner to do something like C25K if they want to start running or Starting Strength if they want to start lifting.

ALL OF THIS
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

These seem to be two different studies. I wonder which the article is referring to. Not that I really understand either one. :happy: It seems the second one posted it was old women that did not see significant increase.