according to this site

Options
if i excercize i can eat more calories

i won't but some people might mistake that for an excuse to eat more. does anyone eat more cause of that? is it ok?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's not an excuse.

MFP is designed for its users to eat back their exercise calories. the formula can be found on the Goals page.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Yes it is ok and I do it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's a feature not a bug. And many of us have found success with the method.
  • SnowWillow
    Options
    I find this a similar program to Weight Watchers activity points. You earn activity points with various workouts and activities throughout your day but you have a choice to eat them or not. Some days, depending on the workouts you will be more hungry. When I miss a workout day and I double up I am more hungry because I burned twice as much so I go over but I rarely eat back all the calories I'm allotted. This gives me a higher deficit. MFP does warn you if you are TOO under your calories, in order to keep you healthy.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I always ate mine back and lost just fine.
  • Iggy1992
    Iggy1992 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle to eat mine back, but in the end it just makes it easier to up your protein intake.

Sometimes I use these extra calories when I'm actually doing the work out, for e.g when I climb up a mountain I like to take nuts, dried fruit and poweraid drinks to keep me going along with a protein bar. Then I'll have a nice big lunch up the top and make my way back down.
    This ensures I don't get really hungry on the way up or the way home and pig out on crap.

Other days I use it as 'treat' as such, for e.g on the nights where I may get take out or go out for dinner and feel like treating myself I'll do extra excersice.

I agree with a post from someone above, saying it is simlilar to weight watchers - and I tend to treat pro points and calories the same. Using the same 'If i want cake I need to get off my fat but' train of thought!

It works really well for me, although I have had a few worries that i'm not eating them all back. Past posts on here have told me that its OK, if im hungry eat, if im not dont :)

Good luck on your journey to loose, maintain, or gain weight!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

i won't but some people might mistake that for an excuse to eat more. does anyone eat more cause of that? is it ok?
    Yes, it's okay. That's how MFP was designed. If you eat back your exercise calories you're doing it right and are using MFP the way it was indended.

There are other methods that don't include eating your exercise calories back (I follow my own).
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options

Yes, it's okay. That's how MFP was designed. If you eat back your exercise calories you're doing it right and are using MFP the way it was indended.

There are other methods that don't include eating your exercise calories back (I follow my own).
    it would seem counterproductive to eat back all my calories
  • happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do. In fact, the days i know i would be tempted by food, like when i hv to go to a party or something,, i exercise more to earn calories. I call it banking calories....
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

This. I agree that if you're hungry, you can go over your food, to meet your net. But you shouldn't exercise for the purpose of being able to eat more. I've seen people do that and I think it's stupid. I think it's counterproductive to eat back your calories. I never have, and I've lost 44 lbs in 5 months.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It would seem counter-productive, until you realize that IF you set your profile to any of the LOSE WEIGHT options your daily calorie goal already contains for deficit for weight loss. If you're at 0.5 lbs per week (and your BMR x activity level) leaves enough room that's 250 calories a day deficit. if you're at 1lb per week and there is room that's 500 calories a day.... if you're at 1.5 lbs that's 750 calories a day and if you're at 2 lbs (again if there is room) that's 1000 calorie a day deficit.

Exercising widens that deficit and as designed you can eat them back still maintaining your deficit for weight loss as exercise isn't accounted for until you log it in your cardio exercise diary.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    First, understand where all the calories you eat go. They fuel four components including:
    Resting Metabolic Rate
    Thermic effect of food
    Non-exercise activity
    Exercise activity

MFP is designed for people to lose weight even without exercise. That means it's formula does not include exercise activity, unlike various traditional TDEE calculations. Thus, it treats everyone as if they were non-exercisers. This means that for people who do exercise, a deficit (their exercise calories) is already established before the person fills out any information at all.

Let's say that person burns 500 calories in exercise, then he/she would, by default, start with a 500 calorie deficit before selecting their desired weekly weight loss goal. So an exerciser would have to add both deficits to get their actual total deficit. If the person choose to lose 1 lb per week, MFP subtracts 500 calories from their total daily energy needs. By not eating back any exercise calories, the person is thus assuming a potential 1000 calorie deficit instead of the planned 500.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I do...I like to eat and I am a quantity eater. It's all a math game. If I don't exercise I eat 1200 cals. If I exercise I eat back the calories I have burned. Works for me.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    By working out and eating back my exercise calories, I get a stronger heart, more efficient lungs, denser bones, stronger muscles, and a clear head -- and I get to pack more protein and other important nutrients into a varied diet and have room for a nice sweet treat every day. How exactly is that "counterproductive?"
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    By working out and eating back my exercise calories, I get a stronger heart, more efficient lungs, denser bones, stronger muscles, and a clear head -- and I get to pack more protein and other important nutrients into a varied diet and have room for a nice sweet treat every day. How exactly is that "counterproductive?"

I was going to reply, but this is already the perfect answer.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at least 40% of my exercise calories back.

I got fat because I enjoy eating. If exercise earns me calories to eat, then I'm going to do it. Besides, if you exercise and don't eat some back, you usually end up netting below the recommended allowance.

Feeling hungry, tired and depleted of energy sucks.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    If you were eating at maintenance and worked out for your deficit, yes it would be counterproductive. But MFP's calorie goal already includes a deficit so you're fine eating back your exercise calories.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

This. I agree that if you're hungry, you can go over your food, to meet your net. But you shouldn't exercise for the purpose of being able to eat more. I've seen people do that and I think it's stupid. I think it's counterproductive to eat back your calories. I never have, and I've lost 44 lbs in 5 months.
    This has been covered before. MFP's calculations (via the NEAT method) include a caloric deficit before taking your exercise into account. The site is set up so that you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories and still lose the weight per week (roughly, since natural variations in weight will occur) indicated by the choice you made.

That said, some folks do like to include a small cushion in the amount of calories they eat back, on the basis that both the caloric intake and calorie burns reported are going to be best estimates rather than scientifically exact.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    While I agree with what everyone's said about that being how MFP works, don't think of it as some hard and fast rule. If you're not hungry, it's likely going to be worse for you in the long run to force yourself to eat because you think to you have to meet some kind of calorie goal than it will be to be lower on calories that day.

That said, exercise does tend to make the body crave more foods so its likely that days you exercise you'll be hungrier anyway and will want at least some of those calories for extra food.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    so far i don't think i've ate back my calories except once...