Anyone lost weight with diet alone??

Options
Hi I am curious to know if there are those of you who have lost weight thru diet alone? (No exercise) If so, what are your stats and daily calorie goal, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    This should be interesting....I walked my weight off.
  • Nimhel
    Nimhel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I kind of having been doing that. I started at 217, and I'm now 179. I started at around 1350 cal a day and have slowly gone down to 1200 cal a day. I'm 5'8.
  • obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lost about 13kg with diet alone. I started at 82kg and I'm 163cm. I was completely sedentary and I used the calorie goal recommended by MFP the whole time. I think I started at 1700cal and gradually went down to 1200cal.

I hit a plateau after that first 13kg. I decided I needed to change things up and began to include exercise. At first it was just walking (I was so unfit), but now I try to get a decent workout at least 3 times a week. I feel really good afterwards and it means I get to eat more of the foods I enjoy with less guilt.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    I actually lose weight faster when I dont exercise and focus entirely on diet - BUT as soon as I get off the diet it piles back on. Exercise mediates that a bit as long as you keep at it.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So far, I've lost a little over 12 lbs in about 4 weeks just from diet. And I consider myself very sedentary - I work a desk job, I'm not big on walking, and except for today, I haven't done anything in the way of a workout (unless you count me stretching at work because sitting at a desk does get tedious). :)

And my diary's open.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    My record with diet alone was about 12 lbs in a week and a half - when I added walking the next time around I lost 14. This wasn't starving either it was just eating almost entirely protein lol so half of it was water but I did lose about 3% fat each time. My experience is extreme but it really shows how messing with your diet can have dramatic effects on weight loss. Did I keep it off? Yeah for about a year the first time and 6 months the 2nd time with compulsive calorie tracking - but as soon as I started eating regularly I regained all of it. However, when I lost 25 lbs with running + diet I kept it off for about 4 years which shows you the power of exercise in maintaining losses.
    So far, I've lost a little over 12 lbs in about 4 weeks just from diet. And I consider myself very sedentary - I work a desk job, I'm not big on walking, and except for today, I haven't done anything in the way of a workout (unless you count me stretching at work because sitting at a desk does get tedious). :)

And my diary's open.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm about 167cm and 26 years old. I started at 72kgs and lost my first 7kgs from diet alone. I was 65kgs when I decided to join a gym, which is how I've lost the other ~5kgs.

ETA: At first my calorie goal was 1450, then 1350, then 1280, then 1200. I recalculated every few kgs.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am 62 years old. I lost over 90# before I started doing any exercising in October 2012. I followed a 1200 calorie program.
    I began walking about 20 minutes per day. Started using the gym at work in November of 2012 M-F and walk on weekends.
    You can lose with diet alone. My experience has been that I feel better now that I am exercising along with controling calories.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Diet alone doesn't give me enough to eat to be able to stick to it. I've seen body changes I wouldn't have achieved through diet alone too.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes - I walk about 10,000 steps a day and eat 1310 calories. I build muscle very easily when I workout so it is actually quite discouraging when I work out because I usually gain weight.

That being said - once I reach my goal weight I will start to lightly tone things up a bit - nothing major, but something I know I will be able to commit to and stick with.
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't get very much exercise, because of the lyme, I have lost 40 pounds since the end of April 2013, I lost 5 pounds before I joined MFP... I joined MFP in May of 2013 and really love it . I no the weight would come off quicker if I did more then diet alone, and a small walk when I can ... But you can lose from diet alone !
  • snsmyth
    snsmyth Posts: 36
    Options
    I lost about 27 lbs just with diet, but my calories were usually around 1200 with a treat day of 1500 one day a week. I had started anti-depressants though that really suppressed my appetite. Now, with intense exercise 6 days a week and an active job, that calorie goal is way too low for me.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I set myself a loss rate of 1.5 lbs per week, I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, I drive all day for a living, and don't get a lot of exercise after that.

My calorie goal is 1600 per day and very often includes a glass of red wine and occasionally a bit more.

I do try and get a walk in when I can but that isn't always that frequently, sometimes I do get a bit more exercise (particularly when staying at a hotel for work) but its not regular.

What I don't do is log housework, walking around a supermarket, cooking as I see some do. I only log what is out of the ordinary day to day routine and then I eat most of those calories back

Seems to have worked for 75 days so far and today I am officially over weight and not obese
  • tschumacher76
    tschumacher76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 55 pounds with diet alone. I have been on 1200-1500 calories a day for 5 months. I would recommend some toning exercises though. I am much skinnier now but do have a lot of loose skin and problem areas left over.. I am 5ft2in and 5 pounds from a "healthy bmi"
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 60lbs or so without exercise. I'm sure I'd still be losing (perhaps even faster) if I wasn't exercising, but for me, this is not just about losing weight. It's about being fit enough to enjoy my life as long as possible, so the exercise is important to me.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Yes. 50lbs in 1 year, just from diet. I didn't even walk (for exercise purposes)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I did that, because I had a lot of health issues that limited exercise. I walked a little, but mostly I just restricted calories. My calorie goal was 1450.

You'll lose weight that way, but you may not be happy with the way you look. That's how I was-- I still had a higher body fat percentage because I hadn't done anything to prevent muscle loss while dieting down. Now I recommend doing at least some kind of strength training while losing weight.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I'm about 167cm and 26 years old. I started at 72kgs and lost my first 7kgs from diet alone. I was 65kgs when I decided to join a gym, which is how I've lost the other ~5kgs.

ETA: At first my calorie goal was 1450, then 1350, then 1280, then 1200. I recalculated every few kgs.

Too low. If you're exercising you need to eat more.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I lost my first 40lbs or so by diet alone while recovering from surgery unable to exercise, 308lbs to 260lbs eating 1350 calories a day.

Then I lost the next 40+lbs with exercise and found it a lot easier because I eat anything I want and never manage to eat all my exercise calories.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, I originally got to around 140 from close to 200 without exercise, and I looked ok in clothes but was still chubby. I got annoyed and didn't log for maybe 9 months or so and gained 14 pounds back before I decided to start exercising properly. I'm around 149ish now and two sizes smaller than I was at 140.

You can lose weight and be slim but you may still have a really high body fat percentage and still look and feel chubby in my experience unless you have exceptionally good genes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!