2 months not too much change?

Options
Hello! I have recently upped the ante with my exercise and I have gone from inconsistent mountain biking a few times a week to consistent 2x strength training sessions a week plus 3 to 4x cardio which includes mountain biking, spin class or running for approx. an hour each. I have certainly noticed a difference in my fitness levels and strength. BUT I haven't really noticed big changes in appearance. I have lost 2 kgs, and I understand I will be putting on muscle as well I just wanted to know - is this normal? Should I be patient? Or should i be more ruthless with what I eat? (i still have a beer a couple nights a week and a few chocolate bars a week and maybe throw in a croissant and a savoury pie for good measure) I am 23 female 147 pounds and 5'5 - Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :)

Replies

• Americanthighs1
    Americanthighs1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of carbs in beer! And your other treats. ;) That could be contributing, but truthfully, the amount of activity that you're doing, it shouldn't be too bad. You just don't want to get in the habit of justifying consistent calorie splurges because of your exercise. Diet is still 80%, exercise 20%. Also, have you taken progress photos? You'd be surprised how much your body changes.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, beer does account for quite a lot of calories. unfortunately, it is one of the sacrifices worth thinking about. Thankfully I have never been a big drinker, so giving it up was easier for me than it would be others. One suggestion on this front is try drinking for example vodka, with 0 calorie lemonade, with perhaps a twist of lime or something - keep those alcohol based calories to a minimum.

As far as exercise goes, if you have only been in it a month, and you're eating a deficit in calories, you won't be building muscle. To build muscle, you generally need to eat a surplus of calories. By strength training and eating a deficit, you're more likely to maintain already existing lean muscle mass, whilst just shedding fat. Ergo, it leads to a slightly lower weight loss on the scales. Taking regular measurements, however, is probably going to reflect changes that the scale doesn't.

I'd say your weight loss is at a healthy and steady pace, depending on your weight and goals.

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You didn't say if you're eating at a deficit, but you won't gain muscle if eating at a deficit. You'll get healthier and gain endurance though. It's pretty much the only things I've noticed from all my workouts the last 9 months.
  • ahimsa1990
    ahimsa1990 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sorry by eating at a deficit does that mean, burning more calories than you are eating? I am not sure whether I am eating at a deficit because I don't track calories really... I can just feel and see that my muscles are bigger and endurance better but there is still a decent layer of fat over them. Will the fat disappear slowly and I should be more patient or is there something I should be changing (im guessing more exercising or less food)
  • ahimsa1990
    ahimsa1990 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies by the way! They are helpful :)
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Sorry by eating at a deficit does that mean, burning more calories than you are eating? I am not sure whether I am eating at a deficit because I don't track calories really... I can just feel and see that my muscles are bigger and endurance better but there is still a decent layer of fat over them. Will the fat disappear slowly and I should be more patient or is there something I should be changing (im guessing more exercising or less food)

BMR = the amount of cals your body need to stay alive whilst doing absolutely nothing (i.e. coma)

TDEE = the amount of cals your body actually needs all day (includes you going to the toilet and watching TV as well as your exercise). It is usually averaged over the week, calculators ask how often you work out and your activity factor and then it spit out a number depending on which formula it uses. If you eat this number, you will not lose or gain weight, you will maintain. If you eat less then that you have a calorie deficit and your body uses some for your existing weight (both fat and muscle to varying degrees) for energy and you lose weight.