Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Awful weight loss advice on Facebook

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I've had to go in and school them.

Cue the special snowflake replies of
    EVERY HUMAN BODY IS DIFFERENT, THE CONVENTIONAL METHOD THAT ADHERES TO SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPLES DOES NOT WORK FOR ME BECAUSE I AM A MAGIC UNICORN SPACE PRINCESS.

my body breaks the laws of physics on a regular basis, and what's more, it does things that no other animal has done in 600 million years of animal evolution. In fact, it does things no other living thing has ever done before, because it breaks the laws of physics. How? Because I am not truly of this world. I am part human, part mythical being. Kind of like Hercules the demi-god, only much more special. Even Zeus is jealous of me, because he's getting a bit tubby in his old age, and I stay thin on a diet of unicorn dandruff and raspberry ketones, because I'm special.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I AM A MAGIC UNICORN SPACE PRINCESS.

Well, we all know that is BS. I am the magic unicorn space princess.

Silly Darren you're the MAJESTIC magic unicorn space princess. Its almost the same but you get a cool hat

woohoo.gif
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

How many calories does losing all faith in humanity burn?
    None. You become fatter instead...

it burns negative calories, unfortunately.
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 316 Member
    Heheh @acpgee :bigsmile: :heart:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Haha facebook is really not the place for any weight loss advice. I've seen it too, it's terrible. Be happy that you've found MFP and hope that others find a more sustainable route soon . Unfortunately, most people don't want to walk the long route.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member

EVERY HUMAN BODY IS DIFFERENT, THE CONVENTIONAL METHOD THAT ADHERES TO SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPLES DOES NOT WORK FOR ME BECAUSE I AM A MAGIC UNICORN SPACE PRINCESS.

my body breaks the laws of physics on a regular basis, and what's more, it does things that no other animal has done in 600 million years of animal evolution. In fact, it does things no other living thing has ever done before, because it breaks the laws of physics. How? Because I am not truly of this world. I am part human, part mythical being. Kind of like Hercules the demi-god, only much more special. Even Zeus is jealous of me, because he's getting a bit tubby in his old age, and I stay thin on a diet of unicorn dandruff and raspberry ketones, because I'm special.

Well obviously you are an exception because you are a cave person. You only eat paleo
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    I have a 'friend' on facebook that sells one of these magic powders that supposedly just melts away the fat. It might sound terrible, but I haven't unfriended her because the success stories she posts daily are actually amusing. Of course this or that person lost weight. They were using your drink mix along with diet and exercise. Take a guess at what was actually working.
  • Mutant13
    Haha facebook is really not the place for any weight loss advice. I've seen it too, it's terrible. Be happy that you've found MFP and hope that others find a more sustainable route soon . Unfortunately, most people don't want to walk the long route.

Most of these people don't want to walk anywhere. Part of the problem
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member

This really puzzles me. I just don't get why people think that you are so stupid as to believe they have bodies that defy biology and physics. Help! I only eat 2 calories a day but I gained 100 pounds and I carefully weigh and measure all my food why is this happening??? Um, because you are eating 100 pounds worth of calories OVER and above what you need to eat to maintain a normal weight, you moron.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*dead*
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member

I couldn't agree more with the not wanting to walk bit, I go to the supermarket at the weekend and watch people cue to park near the front to the store or even worse where a family uses the parent and child spaces right outside the door and 1 person gets out and walks into the store.

This makes me laugh so hard because I just drive to the back of the car park and have normally walked to the store while they are still queuing for spaces
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    I don't think half of them are that bad though. The ones about pills or sushi for a week are kind of dumb, yes, but the rest are just about detox and there's nothing bad about that. I think that if they'd say that they were planning to go like that for the rest of their lives, then it would be bad advice, but otherwise it's honestly fine.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Worse thing I have heard on Facebook is how 3000 calories of pop-tarts is the same as 3000 of chicken and spinach. Your body doesn't care where the calories come from because a calorie is a calorie.

Sorry.. that was on MFP

Bad advice comes on all sites as well as good advice. I have found some great advice on MFP about eating and weight lifting. And I have found some great meal/diet tips on Facebook from the right groups.

It's just too bad there isn't an idiot and *kitten* filter on all sites...
  • ChrisM8971
    I don't think half of them are that bad though. The ones about pills or sushi for a week are kind of dumb, yes, but the rest are just about detox and there's nothing bad about that. I think that if they'd say that they were planning to go like that for the rest of their lives, then it would be bad advice, but otherwise it's honestly fine.

Stands back and waits!
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    What's that supposed to mean? Some of that advice could actually be helpful. There's dumb-a** comments too, but I think that she's over-reacting. The post about not eating carbs after 3 isn't a bad one, for example. The body metabolizes food faster/better early than in the late evening so that may work for some people. Also, detoxing for a week isn't a bad thing. It cleans out your system and can jump start a clean diet. THe only posts I find truly stupid are the ones talking about pills, eating one food for a week, or anything super drastic that is never going to work long-run.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member

How many calories does losing all faith in humanity burn?
    None. You become fatter instead...

I dunno , reckon head-desking has to burn some calories
  • ChrisM8971
    It means that I have read a lot of posts where people say Detox is good and have seen the resulting posts
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    ive seen most of them listed on MFP too. I dont get your point. Now we are FB shaming too?
  • Mutant13

You don't need to 'detox' your body. That's what your liver and kidneys are for. Adequate water intake is all that is necessary to the process that your body performs by itself.
    What are all these 'toxins' we keep hearing about anyway? Can anyone actually name them?
    And how exactly is blended spinach juice supposed to help 'cleanse' your body? Explain the actual biological process that would occour.
    How would eliminating solids from your diet assist in the removal of supposed toxins from your body? Wouldn't the minimised roughage and bulk in fact inhibit the digestive process? The thing your body does to get rid of things it doesn't want?

The while concept of 'detoxing' is flawed, unsupported by evidence and frankly dangerous.