How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I find it really de-motivating jumping on the scales every morning, becuase the weight fluctuates and the loss seems so minimal so I do it every week and a half or two weeks.
And I make it a point not to even look at the scales until then.

How about you?
And why?

Thanks!

Replies

• ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Very true! I weigh myself 1x a week.....or really TRY to. Weight fluctuates. I've read to do it every week, at the same time, in the morning..either in your b.day suit or with something really light on.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning. Works great for me :)
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Every single morning! It helps to see fat loss/muscle gain trends on my excel chart, it's not because I actually want to lose scale weight directly.
  • kimbruundk
    Options
    Every morning. Helps me focus and to understand what influence my behaviour yesterday has on todays weight.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Used to be everyday, now I am once or twice a week. Now I understand sodium and water weight, so I don;t see the big fluctuations anymore, but it gets frustrating to see the number only change by 0.2 or stay the same each day. Much more satisfying to see a pound come off at the end of a week.
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    I do weight daily, but anymore I think its out of habit. My weight can change based on fluid retention and increased sodium intake, so I have come to understand to look for the weight loss every week or two and not to get frustrated if my weight doesn't move down fast enough on weighing myself daily. :smile:
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I weigh every morning and every evening. But, I do not freak by 1 - 3 pounds. I also only record my weight once a week on Sunday or Monday!! OH forgot to mention why!?! I find if I weigh everyday it keeps me motivated even if I am a tad heavier. I always weigh 3 pounds more in the evening too.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When I want to keep a close track of lean body mass vs. body fat when I am trying a new program, I weigh myself once a week. Also at the same time, I measure my body fat using calipers and calculate my weight of lean mass and weight of body fat. This way I can see if I am losing fat, gaining muscle, etc. because I believe that to be more effective way to gauge success than just weight alone.

Once I see that I am on the right track with my food and exercise per the new regimen, then I honestly only weigh myself once a month.

It is sooooooo much less stressful to not get on the stupid piece of scrap metal. I am not obsessed with, or even really concerned with, what the scale says after I see the changes going in the right direction, because I am more interested in losing body fat than scale weight. There have actually been some instances when my weight on the scale went up, but I found that my body fat went down and my lean muscle weight went up...so even though I was heavier on the scale, I was actually losing body fat and getting smaller.

If I used only the scale to measure my success, I would get depressed easily. It's much nicer to see my tight jeans start to fit looser after about a month or so of hard work and clean eating.
  • vikkij12
    Options
    I weigh every morning but only take notice of the weigh in at the dietition!!! the rest of the time I am sure it is habit.
    Vikki
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Every morning religiously, naked and before having anything to eat! Its a habit, but I like to know. I'm only recording my weight every monday morning though.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    every morning, after potty, naked as the day I was born. Then again at night. But I only record the numbers here when I see a loss :blushing:

Why? Keeps me accountable and helps me see the connection between a sodium bomb of a day and the subsequent 2-4 lb "gain". Reminds me why I want to reduce sodium.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I workout.
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a month.

When I first started my diet, I weighted myself once a week and then once every 2 weeks.

I hit as we all call a "plateau" that lasted almost 2 months. So instead of getting extremely mad during that time, I decided to just do a weight-in once a month.

That worked out great for me, because I was able to look at my result only for that month. But I kind of stopped looking at the scale and instead started seeing results in the mirror and how my clothes was beginning to fit me very loose. I even had to buy a new belt to hold my pants up. I finally gave all of my pants away due to not able to wear them anymore.

So I now look more at how my clothes are fitting to tell me the status of my weight loss. It also helps when friends see you and keep telling you that you are still losing weight, when are you going to stop......
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. It is proven if you weigh yourself more frequently you will be more successful.
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've just changed from daily to weekly weighing. And when I say "just", I mean it - this is my first week! It's blinking horrible, not knowing what's going on - I've got to wait until Sunday!

Luckily we've always done a weekly weigh-in at work (a bit of a hangover from a sponsored slim we did earlier in the year that I won :laugh: ), and I've just done that - generally it's 2lbs heavier here than at home, and I weighed exactly the same here today as I did at home on Sunday. So with the 2lb variance, I should be down quite nicely!

It's really personal preference though.
  • GrayJohn
    Options
    Personally I weigh myself once a week now.
    I used to weight myself every morning after taking a leak. I found myself obsessing over it and now I don't bother with it. My weight can go up if I weigh myself everyday and I found that frustrating
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Once a week, every Wednesday morning. I used to everyday, but it became a bad habit.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. Since I don't exercise, and I don't have much weight to lose, it's very minimal per week, so weighing myself more than that is a bit discouraging.
  • shellm3
    shellm3 Posts: 15
    Options
    I get on the scale every day. I do not fret though if the number isn't down or even if it is up from the previous day. The olny reason i weigh myself daily is to keep track of those fluctuations and to get a sense of my body, but as far as the weight lost I only do that every week.
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    I do it every days but it is starting to frustrate me...up -down-up-down!! Eat exercise calories dont eat exercise calories!!