elbow cracks doing pushups?

Options
My right elbow cracks like peoples knuckles throughout the day....however started doing push ups today and its cracking each time I go down...should I be concerned or is it just air in the sockets...??

Replies

• roguesword
    roguesword Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to experience the same problem. I had never been a push-up guy so I think it was because my arms were not ready for the load yet. I found ways of doing similar exercise with significantly less load. Such as against walls or counters for a while. Another thing to be sure of is to warm up a little bit and to hydrate.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Does it cause discomfort or weakness during or after the exercise? I am the cracking-type myself. Elbows, wrists and ankles all crack, no pain or weakness so I don't worry about it. After a couple of years of progressively increased lifting and cardio, I haven't had issues. My shoulders also crack (and crunch), and they sometimes feel like they are "catching" on something with certain moves, so I am very careful with what I do. I found dynamic warm-up helps, and stop or adjust the exercise if I feel discomfort. Listen to your body. Of course, if you are really worried - see your doctor!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    joints make noises. unless the sound is accompanied by grinding, locking up, or pain, i wouldn't worry about it
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    it did hurt a little bit...but not crazy...
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. Try to do push up type things in yoga but my right elbow pops and then feels really weak, so I cant do that move at all. Feel the same thing with regular push ups. But I can do pushups against a wall or stairs with little problem, so maybe its that my muscles arent strong enough to support my weight in those positions yet...
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    Been doing push ups for quite a few months now
    Gone from 10 at once to 40
    Still, the first 10 or so my elbows crack and shoulder sockets kind of grind
    No pain, but was a bit concerned at first
    But I've persisted and the noises still happen, but no problems
    i think it's just the way it is for me anyway