Help! Muscle aches and pains

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to deal with achey muscles? I have a lot of pain at the moment, especially in my shoulders and back muscles (though also my glutes, from all those damn lunges).

Any stretching exercises that are good? Should I invest in a foam roller? Remedial massage? Does anyone take medication for this kind of thing? Should I see a doctor/physio?

Also, I'm female, 23, and at a healthy weight range, though I am quite well endowed in the chest area. ;)
(I thought that might be relevant to the pain being particularly bad in the shoulder/back area)

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If it's normal delayed onset muscle soreness from working out, rest. A massage and foam rolling won't hurt. As for your upper back pain, rear delt flyes are great for strengthening the muscles that can get overstretched by sitting at a computer, driving, or having a large bust.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I usually massage something called horse arnica (its a cooling arnica gel used for horses after a hectic ride lol) into sore areas before I go to bed. Wake up the next morning feeling so much better! Its possibly the most amazing thing every :)

If its really bad I take painkillers but that's only in extreme cases! I've also heard foam rolling is really good :)
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hey Franceypants,
    Make sure you are talking a good multivitamin at supper time (it needs some fat in the diet to work) lack of vitamin D will make you more achey!... (From my nutritionist).
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I've found doing light movements with them helps me a ton...of course I've grown to love that feeling so I'm a bit weird.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I've found doing light movements with them helps me a ton...of course I've grown to love that feeling so I'm a bit weird.
    It's not weird, it is feeling like you did something with your body lol. I love the ache myself :)
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's not weird, it is feeling like you did something with your body lol. I love the ache myself :)

Haha. I like the ache usually, but for some reason hate it when it's my back or shoulders. Legs/arms is fine!
  • FranceyPants
    Options
    Hey Franceypants,
    Make sure you are talking a good multivitamin at supper time (it needs some fat in the diet to work) lack of vitamin D will make you more achey!... (From my nutritionist).

Thanks for that! I will definitely take some vit D, it's exam period for me so there's no way I'd be getting enough sunshine :(
  • FranceyPants
    Options
    If it's normal delayed onset muscle soreness from working out, rest. A massage and foam rolling won't hurt. As for your upper back pain, rear delt flyes are great for strengthening the muscles that can get overstretched by sitting at a computer, driving, or having a large bust.

Will definitely look into that as I partake in all 3. I think I will take a rest day today too. Thanks!
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    SWIM
  • franemac
    Options
    I have a found that a good fish oil supplement works great for reducing the inflammation!
    And eating something like a banana after exercise, full of magnesium, potassium and good vitamins!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I know that my muscles are on fire today but that is because I spend an hour and a half at the track last night running bleachers and being drilled to push myself to new limits and I did. Which I know is normal to be sore when you push yourself to new limits. For me today is my rest day naturally anyway so I'm taking that literally, eating high protein, drinking shakeology today and taking a long relaxing warm bath with a glass of wine, that helps me lol.
  • FranceyPants
    Options
    SWIM

YES. I love swimming. It's still a bit cold here (Australia), but SOON
  • FranceyPants
    Options
    I have a found that a good fish oil supplement works great for reducing the inflammation!
    And eating something like a banana after exercise, full of magnesium, potassium and good vitamins!

Awesome, thanks! My bf said fish oil might help.

BANANAS ARE THE BEST