Everytime I start a workout I get a cold

Options
2»

Replies

• lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say this as a counter-weight to all the germ-talk about gyms. Ever touched a rail in the London tube? What about the shopping cart in Walmart/Tesco? There are many many MANY "filthy" places out there, if you need to get an idea how much, I suggest to watch an episode of "Monk". Hundreds of people use the gym and do not get ill.

It is of course very possible that due to lowered immune defenses you are more susceptible to it, but all I want to say is that you can't fight the system. Places where many people are at the same time for prolonged periods will end up with all sorts of germs and bacteria we're better off not knowing about. The answer is not to avoid it all, but rather see what you are doing beforehand/afterwards. Very important for me is to be stretched, showered and warm after workout, as well as having a meal. Anything else will result in energy loss and feeling bad.

Also, don't rule out psychosomatic stress. If other parts of your life are stressing you, you can be more susceptible to getting ill.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    ps I am the main elliptical user, but my bf uses it from time to time as well. I wipe down the handles with a towel.
    Should I use antibacterial wipes even though I'm the main user?

LOL, the most intimate thing you do with your BF is share the elliptical so you're worried about germs he may have left on the handles?
  • paucoe
    paucoe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been going through a similar thing and recently had some blood work done by my GP. One thing the results showed was that I was low in vitamin D which helps boost/support the immune system. I would recommend getting some blood work done and see if you have any deficiencies and go from there. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • firecracker27
    Options
    Intense exercise tends to increase the likelihood of getting sick, while moderate levels of exercise decrease it. It might make you all feel better to know that people who work out regularly get fewer colds throughout the year, and bounce back much more quickly when they do! Something like a decrease in duration from 7 to 3 days if I'm remembering the journal article correctly (I'd link but there's a paywall :/).
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to make sure to get full Vitamin C, etc after your workouts if recovery is an issue for you. Like make sure to eat (even drink) your fruits and veggies after you have stressed your body. Try to get the minerals, too... so a supplement may be in order (don't go all crazy now).

Is there any habit with your exercise equipment that may be causing you to be up close and personal with strange germs? Like maybe you hop right on after coming home from the Tube without washing your hands? Maybe you never Lysol your gym room door handle? :D:D I know it sounds crazy, but if your face is going to be up close to something or you are wiping sweat off your face, I think it's good to consider that like washing your hands before you eat.

I have a tendency to catch something every time I walk in a doc's office or hospital, and I have to go a lot for regular mechanical or check-up sort of stuff, so I hate it! I figured out that my purse might be part of the problem (I watch my hands carefully!), so I wiped it down too afterwards last time. That might have helped, because I actually didn't get sick. We'll see. But as OCD as it sounds, do what you have to do ;)
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's possible it's allergies but most likely a cold because your immune system is low. I take Cold FX every winter, haven't had a cold for 3 years.
  • mbarcan
    mbarcan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, this used to happen to me. Your immune system is likely out of balance. Try taking probiotics, that helped a lot. But I also changed my diet a lot, in fact I did a full elimination diet and starting taking echinacea. I now basically eat an anti-inflammatory diet and everything has been great! I did go to a naturopath initially and he put me on the right path.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I would like to request that if you have a cold, you skip the gym and do some other kind of workout until you are better, so that you don't share it with everyone else at the gym.

Zinc lozenges (Zicam and its competitors), taken at the first sign of a cold, may shorten the cold's duration. I'm not sure of the mechanism but it probably has to do with making sure there's no shortage of zinc for "zinc finger proteins", a term you can web search.

Multivitamins are a good idea even if your nutrition is good, to cover any 'holes' in nutrients that you may have in your diet on a particular day. Should help your immune system in general.

See a doc about whether you need allergy or asthma medications. Your sinus issues could be due to allergies, for example--you go out, breathe pollen, your nose gets blocked, snot builds up, bacteria find the boogers and throw a party in your sinus.