Fitbit or polar???

Options
2»

Replies

• changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I like the FitBit one as a motivator and the step counter is very accurate. However, the floor counter is a bit of a joke. When I work late and drive home in a cab, it measures 10 floors because the elevation changes on the ride home. It also counts floors when I take the elevator to my office. I don't pay much attention to the stair counter at all for those reasons. That said, it is small and easy to conceal, which is why I prefer it over the Zip. Customer service has been very responsive to my questions. And I know of others who have washed theirs or had the clip break and they were issued a new one immediately. Mine was a gift -- not sure I would spend $100 on it, but it's a fun little toy which lets me compete with myself and makes it fun to reach my 10,000 daily steps.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My old one was more accurate than the new one. Today I got 2 flights by taking it off the charger and rolling over in bed to put it in the holder (the metal already pierced the soft plastic of the holder), with 14 steps......then I got another flight walking a very flat path.

Another day I had 6 flights and it shorted me two...these were real stairs. I am 4 weeks post op total knee and wish it was more reliable.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    they both have different purposes.

Polar is to measure workouts.

Fitbit is for everything outside of workouts.

If you want to track everything that much, then use both.

But remember, they're all only estimates
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had the polar Ft7 and sold it, it seemed accurate enough but the last thing I wanted to deal with when I was working out and sweating was feeling the chest strap moving around, it just wasn't comfortable (for me). I am going to ask for a fitbit for Christmas. I think it would be interesting to have just to see how much movement I do in a day (I'm a nurse but it's in an office so somedays it more than others). I would say research them both and figure out which one will be of most benefit to you in the long run. They both cost about the same price.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    hi Karen, i have the fitbit one and love it. its very easy to use and very accurate. i clip it to my pants pocket and you dont even realize its there. i love the fact it syncs to your iphone. i walk around all day bringing up the app to see how many steps i walked. its very inspiring. as for the person above saying something about their customer service, all i can tell you is i had the best experience with them and if you google fitbit customer service, you will see they are top notch. a few months ago, i lost my fitbit one and couldnt find it anywhere. i called them mostly to see if there was any type tracking device or anything like that. there wasnt of course but they said what we will do is send you out a new one, no charge. i actually felt guilty being it wasnt their fault, i lost it. they didnt even charge shipping. thats my experience with customer service.
    you will also love how it syncs with my fitness pal. as you walk, it updates my fitness pal automatically, so like a few minutes ago i walked around the block, fitbit tells my fitness how far i walked and my fitness upped my calories allowed for the day accordingly.its funny because sometimes when i want something bad, i see if its like say 150 calories, i will say ok, once i wak enough with my fitbit and walk enough to gain that 150 calories, i can eat it. its really inspiring and fun to me. i think you would love it,if you have any questions, feel free to ask me anytime. i am on her probably 10 times a day. good luck to you and have a great weekend...
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One & am torn. I've found the stair count to be very accurate, and it has never counted flights of stairs when I ride the elevator. I've also seen folks complain that they get step counts when riding in the car. I tested that over a long drive & never had my Fitbit award me steps when I was driving.

My concern with with the calorie count. I think mine underestimates my calorie burn, because I can eat at the same calories as my Fitbit calorie burn & still lose weight. I ran into someone who was using both a Fitbit & a Body Media Fit. I asked her if there was a difference between the calorie reads & she conformed the her Fitbit read 300-400 calories LOWER than her Body Media Fit. We've both lost substantial amounts of weight, so I tend to believe the Fitbit is reading low. In fact, that 300-400 calorie shortfall is equal to my calorie deficit.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Totally different products. Fitbit is meant to quantify the activity you do all day long. I love my Fitbit and it has really made it infinitely easier to track calorie expenditure.

Heart rate monitors are only useful during steady-state cardio workouts.

Exactly!
  • ISPEAKWHALE2
    ISPEAKWHALE2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! It encourages me to always hit my 10,000 steps and also links to MFP. The sleep monitor I could do without. I got the One and so did my sis and her daughter and my cuz. We all try to beat each other on steps! I am ahead. The only sad thing is I cant use it while I swim...lol I just add my swimming into it! Got mine off of Amazon!
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Totally different products. Fitbit is meant to quantify the activity you do all day long. I love my Fitbit and it has really made it infinitely easier to track calorie expenditure.

Heart rate monitors are only useful during steady-state cardio workouts.

Exactly!

Good to know.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I would personally avoid fitbit at all costs. Their customer support is rubbish, and I found the product to be inaccurate and if anything it stalled my weight loss by making me believe I was burning more than I actually was, and started to eat more again.

Fitbit is the best thing. Customer service are fantastic. They replaced my One that was broken, they replaced both clips that broke & they are always helpful.

Inaccurate my butt. It's more accurate than my Polar Ft60 & I'm guessing your stride was not correct & that's why you found it like that.
    I doubt you can blame fitbit for you eating more or stalling your weight loss though, that comes down to common sense.

I love my fitbit one. I never take it off unless it's to shower or charge (I charge it while I'm in the shower) and I ended up getting one for hubby, one for son &one for a friend on here. THAT is how much I love them. I even convinced a personal trainer to get one for his parents as well. I convinced my physio that it was a good thing.that I'm walking all day now rather than sitting down after a workout. I'm fitter than I've ever been & lost more weight when I got it due to my minimum steps being made daily...back then (omg it's been a year) was 20,000 a day. Now I do anywhere between 30,000 - 40,000 steps a day....minimum.

May be just a pedometer to some, but to me it's the motivation tool from the gods. I'm not the kind of person who can be 2nd place or be beaten. SO I push myself to stay on top.

I should mention also that to anyone who has trouble with losing it, attach it to your underwear on my hip, that way your pants will keep it snug against you & you will never lose it again.
  • rpwhaley
    rpwhaley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Polar Loop is an new activity tracker wrist band, like the FitBit Force, but goes a step further in that it can sync with Polar Smart Blue Tooth Heart Rate Monitor straps and has a more advanced display than the FitBit Flex. Many of the responses are incorrectly referring to Polar's heart rate monitor products.
  • arijaycomet
    Options
    Both are great products but the Fitbit wins every time--- for my review go here:
    http://arijaycomet.com/2013/12/10/battle-fitbit-force-vs-polar-loop/

Basically, if you want to track cardio workouts with an HRM and have a smart phone, buy a HRM from Polar but use your phone. The Fitbit is still better for daily tracking, and your phone is still better than the Loop for HRM monitoring.